Use same password for 1password and Mac login?

thought_police
thought_police
Community Member

Hello

I'm just reviewing my password situation and I'm going to be creating a new master password for 1Password which will be generated by the "memorable password" option in 1Password. I've decided to go for long and easy to remember rather than not-as-long truly random at present.

This has brought me to think about the password for the login on my two Macs. The only passwords I have to remember are the one for 1Password, the logins for my Macs and the passcodes for my three Apple mobile devices. Logging in on the Macs unlocks the keychain which then gives access to my encrypted hard drives.

I am thinking that using the same password for 1Password and Login on the Macs will be easier and if I have, say, a seven word randomly generated memorable password then I can't see how using it for both Mac login and 1Password would be a security risk for me.

Is there anything I haven't seen?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.0.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @thought_police

We all have our own risk profiles and have to make informed decisions based on the risks we deem acceptable to us. 1Password's official recommendation would be to not reuse your 1Password account password for any other system or service. But you may decide any risk of doing so is outweighed by the convenience of only having to memorize one password. I'm not in a position to endorse that, but I can also understand how one might come to that conclusion.

Hopefully someone from the community can jump in if they can think of any specific thoughts as to why this may or may not be a good idea. 😄

Ben

• boberonicus
    boberonicus
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Two identical passwords is less of an issue on, say, a baseball forum and the login to your sprinkler system. But using the same password on systems that hold the keys to the kingdom is problematic. If I have your Mac and your Mac's password, I now have all your passwords.

That said, I'm not one of those insane people that uses 29 character passwords. I do have unique passwords, but my master password rates a tepid "Good" from 1P.

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member

Thank you Ben and boberonicus for your thoughts on this. I have my new memorable-and-long password for 1Password now. I am going to keep the Mac login password as it was for a while, so it is different for now obviously. Once I have thoroughly remembered my new 1Password password then maybe I will go for a different new memorable-and-long password for the Mac login. I do prefer the memorable-and-long password for typing in to the old totally random password.

• Appreciate the update, @thought_police! Memorable passwords are an excellent way to keep yourself safe without having to memorize random strings of characters. There's a section in a blog post of ours called The passwords you need to memorize (and type) that adds some statistics to this discussion if you're interested. 🙂

Also a friendly reminder to update your Emergency Kit any time you change your 1Password account password!

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member

Thank you @andrew.l_1P for your response. I've been reading a number of Jeffrey Goldberg's articles and they are very useful. I have created a new emergency kit.

In fact I now have three memorable passwords in total. Originally I was thinking of using one for 1Password but these memorable passwords are good, so I have expanded the plan. I only absolutely need to remember the 1Password one because it contains the others of course, but it would be a hassle to have to get to 1Password if I can't access it via my Mac or my mobile devices.

This discussion has been closed.