Automation for tasks

Options
TimmyFangs
TimmyFangs
Community Member
edited November 2022 in CLI

I'm a software developer for a television company with over 9,000 people. We just implemented 1Password. Is there a way using the website or Visual Studio to create tasks that repeat through automation? I don't want to have to manually move certain people to certain groups a few thousand times. I also have to approve and confirm accounts for those 9,000+ people.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.4.3
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• ScottS1P
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello @TimmyFangs,

Does your company happen to use an Identity Provider (IdP) such as Azure Active Directory, Google Workspace, JumpCloud, Okta, OneLogin, or Rippling? If so, I suggest you Automate provisioning in 1Password Business using SCIM. The 1Password SCIM bridge enables changes in your IdP to create or suspend 1Password users, and manage group membership for your team. It can even automate account confirmation for you.

Another less automated option which may be easier to adopt into your own scripting is the 1Password CLI, which can help manage many aspects of your account, including user creation, suspension, and group access.

Let me know if either of these options help, and if you'd like me to connect with you with one of our experts for additional help.

Thank you,

• TimmyFangs
    TimmyFangs
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I don't know about the SCIM. I used the CLI to write powershell scripts. But, those are really not scheduling properly with SQL Server. Please, please, please, please y'all put out an API. If I had an API this would've been done a week ago.

• Hi @TimmyFangs,

Due to the encryption used by 1Password, a traditional server side API is not something we're likely to implement. All of the data on our servers is encrypted, so it's not possible for us to read or alter it in a meaningful way. The SCIM bridge I mentioned before is intended to serve as a secure way for IdP's to integrate with 1Password, since you can deploy and control the SCIM bridge, and thus retain all of the credentials needed to decrypt and alter account data on your own. The SCIM bridge makes use of the SCIM protocol for communication, and thus could be used as an API endpoint, but that configuration isn't something we suggest or can provide in depth support for.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions.

• TimmyFangs
    TimmyFangs
    Community Member
    Options

What about even just a wrapper API for the CLI? I fail to see how an API would be different in security of the CLI. Like a couple wrapper interfaces for C# that are out there, an official one would be a god send.

• ScottS1P
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello @TimmyFangs,

We don't currently offer a C# wrapper, but there is a Javascript library that wraps our CLI tool that may work for you: https://github.com/1Password/op-js

I'll pass along your request for a C# wrapper as well, but don't have any information regarding if or when it may be possible.

Thank you,

ref: IDEA-I-1775

• Hey @TimmyFangs,

Are you in contact with one of our customer success managers? I'd suggest reaching out to them for additional help with provisioning your team members. If you aren't in contact with anyone yet, let me know and I'll have someone reach out to you.

Thank you,

This discussion has been closed.