Using Expiration Dates with iP8 for Mac

BobsPasswords
BobsPasswords
Community Member

I really like the idea of using 1P as a light reminder system but am still trying to figure out how the current version works.
1) Are the 'Expiry Date' fields only available for credit cards and driver's license? I see a date field for other types but I don't think they have the same functionality.
2) Is the only notification of an approaching or expired date in Watchtower or is it someplace else in the app?

I realize 1P is not a task manager but I think a little further implementation would greatly add to its functionality. Expiration dates associated with 1Password items are often some of the most critical.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 13
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hello @BobsPasswords! 👋

I've never considered using 1Password as a general reminder tool, that's a neat use case. 🙂

At the moment, Watchtower will remind you of the following expired or expiring items: credit cards, memberships, passports, and driver’s licenses. That being said, I can certainly see how adding expiration dates to other types of items would be useful and we do have a feature request open to look into this. I've added your vote to the feature request to let our product team know that this is something that you'd like to see.

When using 1Password 8 for Mac, Watchtower will show your expired/expiring items in the dashboard (accessed via the sidebar) or in a banner at the top of the item itself. You can read more here: Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

Thank you for the feedback and let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-551

• Erdnuckl
    Erdnuckl
    Community Member

Hello @Dave_1P and @BobsPasswords,

If you look into this feature request it would be great if the expiration date could be "relativ" and not only "absolut". E.X.: Password expires evey 4 weeks, 3 month, year

Best regards,

Erdnuckl

• BRobertsson
    BRobertsson
    Community Member

I would absolutely upvote this. As a service company, we maintain accounts and passwords and BOTH will actually expire. I would suggest:

• Passwords are expected to expire or be reset at certain interval, i.e. warn user based on their time after creating a new password (add cadence)
    • Some Accounts are disabled if they're not used within a certain period (usually some weeks). This will disable access/VDI's etc. Need a cadence of when the password was last used to alert the user if they've not used this password/account for a period.

Our current challenge is to login weekly/bi-weekly or use calendar entries to remind us to do this.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2022

@Erdnuckl and @BRobertsson

1Password doesn't include a reminder to change your passwords after X amount of time has passed because we don't recommend that practice. Instead we recommend that you change your passwords if one of the following conditions is met:

1. The password for a website/account is not a secure and unique password generated by 1Password.
    2. 1Password's Watchtower sends you a warning that your password for a website/account has been reused or was found in a data breach.

Regular password changes for no other reason but because an amount of time has passed is no longer recommended as a security practice by many cybersecurity experts and organizations such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).

That being said, I do understand that certain organizations, accounts, or websites do still expire passwords after a certain amount of time has passed for various reasons and I can see how it would be useful for 1Password to remind you when a password or account is expiring. I've passed along your specific suggestions to the product team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-156

• Icewulf
    Icewulf
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Seeing that here are already 1Password members with the same need as I have identified, once I started to dig deeper into 1Password, as I'm moving now all my passwords and safety relevant data into 1Password. After I tried it again now, I found the with Version 8 now it really becomes very workable, especially the Windows in iOS Versions are great. Basically can satisfy all our needs, just I found there two things are lacking. First, I also see that this expiration date field is missing. It is missing the possibility to add an expiration date into any of the categories, unless it is already pre-written there. A date field can be created, but it is not recognized as an expiration date. This should be an additional item, which could be selected to be created and then later monitored by the watchtower, if the date is going to expire. It will add this item to take action for renew. This is necessary for many kinds of cards and which are not belongs to Credit Card, Passport or Driving License only, such as Residence Permit, Visa aso.
    In additional I found an issue with, that there are many categories, which is great, but I couldn't find a function, that allows me to add new categories, such as ID-Cards, Visa, Permits, aso.
    It would be great to have these two functions, free choice of creating new categories and the function not only to add a date, but also an expiration date, which is monitored by the Watchtower report. Please report this to the developer team, hope they can hear the voice of the 1Password members. Thank you !

• Hi @Icewulf,

Thanks for your kind words and detailed feedback here! I can absolutely understand where custom expiration dates and item templates would be useful and would welcome these additions myself. We have existing feature requests for both, so I've added your feedback. 🙂

In the meantime, to get expiration dates on Watchtower's radar, one option is to use an item category that supports them either re-creating that item under that category or linking it to the original item: Link related items in 1Password

Depending on how many items you end up doing this with, it may also be worthwhile to use a tag to organize them, this way you can easily locate them in the future if the way expiration dates are handled changes: Organize with favorites and tags

Let me know if you end up trying this out and thanks again for sharing how you use 1Password!

ref: IDEA-I-374
    ref: IDEA-I-551

This discussion has been closed.