Access to 1Password SSH Agent via RDP

smithj
smithj
Community Member
edited May 2022 in SSH

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I suspect it will be closely linked to being able to use 1password without Windows Hello.

I am not able to access and use SSH Keys while I am working within an RDP session. If the solution eventually allows use without Windows Hello, do you think the agent will function within an RDP session.

To be clear, i'm not thinking of forwarding. 1Password is running and configured (and working when i'm sitting in front of it) on the computer that i am remoting into.

Cheers,

Jon

1Password Version: 8.6.0 Production
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• Does the remote machine not support Windows Hello?

If it doesn't, then yes I do suspect that if we remove that requirement in the future, it will work for that machine too.

• judge
    judge
    Community Member

Currently facing this - SSH Prompts don't work for RDP. Perhaps a lower-security control that is simply a 1password form popup could be an option if we want to enable this functionality within RDP.

• smithj
    smithj
    Community Member

The machine has full support for Windows Hello and Biometrics and is working well when I am physically using it.

The issue comes when I am remote and I'm using the Remote Desktop connection over VPN. In this instance I get no prompts or any response from the 1password agent. It's as if it simply doesn't exist.

• judge
    judge
    Community Member

I imagine the solution would be to have a toggle in settings, disabled by default, that says "Enable less-secure SSH in remote desktop sessions". If the user enables this, then a RDP session attempting to use SSH will show the 1password window with a custom pop-up asking them to accept or deny the connection.

This is a pretty big requirement for me, I currently have to keep a backup key authenticated to my servers to ensure I can access them remotely.

• alechs
    alechs
    Community Member

Are there any updates on this? Would be good to be able to use 1Password when accessing machine remotely as it currently breaks both SSH and Git commit signing.

• Hi @alechs:

Thanks for following up on this. We don't have anything to share at this time, but thanks for sharing your feedback.

Jack

• DrBerg
    DrBerg
    Community Member
    edited April 2023

"To get your consent when an SSH client on your system tries to use one of your SSH keys, 1Password will present you with an approval dialog."

This works fine when I'm at my work laptop at the office. But when I connect to the same laptop (which is still at the office) from another laptop at home with Windows Remote Desktop, I don't get the prompt and therefore cannot use for example git pull. Both machines are Windows 11, and both have Windows Hello configured.

• DrBerg
    DrBerg
    Community Member

And now, in 1Password for Windows 8.10.4, the authentication works also through Remote Desktop. Thank you!

• I'm glad this update got things working better for you! 😄

This discussion has been closed.