FaceID not offered to unlock 1PW 7 in Safari on iPad (iPadOS 15 and 16)

Options
Erik1P
Erik1P
Community Member
edited October 2022 in iOS

I have been using FaceID on iPhone 11 and iPad Pro (2016 and 2021) to unl;ock 1PW. However, since a couple of weeks I can’t use FaceID in Safari to unlock 1PW 7 on my iPad Pro (2021). When I click on the 1PW icon next to the Safari URL field I see a popup with only the possibility to enter a password. No face icon to use FaceID. This happens both in iPadOS 15.7 and 16.1. As far as I can see I have enabled all necessary buttons to use FaceID. I don’t have a problem with FaceID in other apps or when opening my iPad.

I have no problem on my iPhone 11 (iOS 15.6 and 16.1).

1Password Version: 7.9.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IPadOS 15.7 and 16.1
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Ipados faceid safari v7

Comments

• Hello @Erik1P,

We’ve temporarily disabled Touch ID and Face ID for the 1Password for Safari extension due to changes in iOS 16. We understand the importance of biometrics, with the security and convenience it offers, and are working with our partners at Apple.

Thanks for your patience!

• @Erik1P

I have some good news to share. 1Password for iOS/iPadOS 8.9.7 was just released and brings back biometric unlock to 1Password for Safari:

• You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari after updating to iOS 16.1 or later. #17988

I recommend that you update using the App Store. You can find our guide on how to update here: How to keep 1Password up to date

You'll also need to update to iOS / iPadOS 16.1 or later: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

Let me know if you run into any issues. 🙂

-Dave

• MRevitt
    MRevitt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_mike_d I also had the same issue and can confirm that iPassword 8.9.7 restores the faceid functionality

• Hi @MRevitt - thanks for confirming!

• mlines
    mlines
    Community Member
    Options

Still not working for me. IOS and app both updated. Still reprompts for master password every time even after authorizing faceid. I've given up and have moved entirely to IOS Keychain - as Apple says, "It just works"

• aphonic
    aphonic
    Community Member
    Options

Not working for me either. Still telling me I have to password every time.

• Erik1P
    Erik1P
    Community Member
    Options

It’s working for me me now (1P v7) although I remember not immediately. I think I disabled face recognition and followed the steps to use Safari extension in Settings on my iPad to make it work again.

Success.

• @mlines and @aphonic

I'm sorry that you're unable to use Face ID / Touch ID to unlock 1Password for Safari on your iOS devices. Are you using 1Password 7 or 1Password 8 on your devices? Can you still unlock the main 1Password app using Face ID / Touch ID?

@Erik1P

We recently fixed the issue in an update to 1Password 7:

You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari on iOS 16.1 or newer.

I'm happy to hear that Face ID unlock is working for 1Password for Safari on your iPad.

-Dave

• mlines
    mlines
    Community Member
    Options

FaceID unlock works on the 1Password 7 app, it does not work in the 1Password 8 app

• @mlines

Thank you for the reply. Our developers are investigating a known issue with Face ID and 1Password 8 for iOS. So that I can confirm that you're affected, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

ref: dev/core/core#15937

This discussion has been closed.