1 Password keeps changing my security setting from NEVER ask for a Password to EVERY 30 DAYS

Dub
Dub
Community Member
edited November 2022 in Mac

I use 1 Password on Apple computers with Mac Ventura.My preferences are set to open 1Password with a fingerprint or an Apple Watch and NEVER ask for a password.
But each time I turn my computer off, when I turn it back on, 1Password has changed my preference to ask for the Password to every 30 days and on random occasions to every 2 weeks.
This is SUPER ANNOYING!
Is this a bug in the current software?
Please help!!!!

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: MacOs 13.0.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Dub
    Dub
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

P.S. I have tried all the different possibilities with 1Password opening on log in, not opening on log in, quitting 1Password before turning the computer off, leaving 1 Password running when turning the computer off and none of these things make any difference..

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member

I feel your pain. I have no idea what the logic is behind 1PW prompts for passwords. The only thing I know for sure is, they happen way too often, especially on the Mac. iOS feels less frequent.

• @Dub

I'm sorry that the "Require Password" setting is changing after a restart. That definitely doesn't sound right and I'd like to investigate further. Please do the following:

1. Change the "Require Password" setting to 30 Days.
    2. Change the "Require Password" setting to "Never" and note the time.
    3. Restart your Mac.
    4. Check the "Require Password" setting and make sure that it's been changed. Note the time and the value that it was changed to.

I'd then like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• @fuchsr

You can configure how often 1Password locks by following this guide:

If you've already tried this then can you tell me what your settings currently are and how often 1Password is locking on your Mac? 🙂

-Dave

• Dub
    Dub
    Community Member

Per your instructions:
    1. I changed the "require password" setting to 30 DAYS and after that I changed it to NEVER at 9:19 AM PST
    2. I restarted my Mac and the "require password" setting changed all by itself from NEVER to 30 DAYS. The time was 9:20 AM PST.

I sent the email with the information you requested and attached the diagnostics report.

The support ID number is: [#KIK-57351-122]

I will be waiting for your response, hopefully with a solution to the problem.

• Dub
    Dub
    Community Member

My lock settings are:
    Lock on sleep, screensaver or switching users (this setting is checked).
    Lock after computer is idle for 10 minutes.

• Dub
    Dub
    Community Member

I would like to add that I have the exact same "require password" problem with two other Macs, so it is a pervasive problem on multiple machines.

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member

My settings are Require Password Never. Auto-lock off. Lock after idle Never.

Can't really say how often it is locking, it seems to happen every few days for no apparent reason. I know that's not helpful but I can't find a pattern.

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member

I'm having to enter my password often also. Cannot find a pattern. Same settings as @fuchsr .

Ventura 13.0.1
    version 8.9.8

• @Dub,

Thanks, I can confirm we've received your diagnostic report. I've replied to your email so keep an eye out for that!

@fuchsr and @pinecone,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing something similar. If you set "Require password" to "Never" and then reset your device, can you tell me if the selection remains? If not, I'd also like to ask you to send in some diagnostics so we can take a look at what's going on under the hood:

These can be attached to an email sent to support+forum@1password.com. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can link the conversations.

Let me know if you have any questions!

ref: dev/core/core#18707
    ref: KIK-57351-122

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member

Reset, as in reboot?

• Oops, good catch @fuchsr! I should've said restart there:

• Dub
    Dub
    Community Member

Andrew: Thank you for looking into this and thank you for your email.
    Just so everyone else is informed:
    Andrew.I_1P is able to reproduce the issue. It appears that this is something that requires 1Password developers to get involved in order to fix it.
    Hope they fix it soon!

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member

I did the restart, and the setting remains at Never.

• Happy to help, @Dub! Looking forward to sharing updates once we have them.

@fuchsr,

Thanks for testing this! Odd that it behaves a bit differently for you. The next time you notice the setting change, please feel free to generate and send over that diagnostic report. Likewise if you notice any patterns in when this happens. I apologize for any interruption this is causing you and really appreciate you helping us report this!

• Monkey121
    Monkey121
    Community Member

I am on the beta build and I am seeing the same issue.

• Hi @Monkey121,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing something similar. Could I confirm if restarting your device changed this setting? Either way, the next time you notice it, you're welcome to send over a diagnostic report so we can investigate further:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can link your conversations.

I apologize for any interruption this is causing you and appreciate you helping us report it. Let me know what you find. 🙂

• sof
    sof
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

I’m experiencing this as well, both on macOS and iOS. Setting to never and killing the app from the app switcher on iOS then relaunching it within a few seconds sees the setting switched back to 30 days every time. Similarly, setting the setting on macOS, quitting the app from menu bar, then immediately relaunching it sees the setting go back to 30 days.

In addition, faceID never works on the iOS safari extension (not autofill password, extension itself) so I’m made to retype my password every day, sometimes within multiple minutes of each unlocking in the same safari session. Really frustrating especially with a long master password.

• @sof

I'm sorry that the setting is also being reset on your Mac. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

In addition, faceID never works on the iOS safari extension (not autofill password, extension itself) so I’m made to retype my password every day, sometimes within multiple minutes of each unlocking in the same safari session. Really frustrating especially with a long master password.

We've recently released an update that should have improved things. Can you please make sure that you're using 1Password 8.9.7 and iOS 16.1 or later:

-Dave

• sof
    sof
    Community Member

Support ID: #ILC-11637-463 for macOS issue

re: the iOS issue, I'm already on the latest 1Password and iOS 16.1. Not fixed for me.

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2022

@sof

Thank you for the Support ID. I've located your ticket and I see that my colleague has responded, I recommend continuing the conversation over email so that the team can investigate the iOS issue as well. My colleague will follow-up with you over email as soon as possible. 🙂

-Dave

ref: ILC-11637-463

• darrinlin
    darrinlin
    Community Member

same issue still appearing for me on my mac -- change "Require password" setting to "Never", quit 1pw, launch 1pw again, setting is back to "Every 30 days"

• macbook pro 16" (2021 m1 pro)
    • macOS 12.6.1
    • 1pw 8.9.11
  • @darrinlin

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

• darrinlin
    darrinlin
    Community Member

here's the support ID number: [#YBX-55858-341]

• David Cher
    David Cher
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

I am experiencing the same issue . tried the same method it kept reverting back .

Support number : [#WCK-71228-386]

• andrew.l_1P
    edited December 2022

Thanks for sending those in @darrinlin and @David Cher,

We've replied to your emails so keep an eye out for those! 🙂

ref: YBX-55858-341
    ref: WCK-71228-386

• Stellarspace
    Stellarspace
    Community Member

I have the same problem on my Mac, and it's annoying.

• Hi @Stellarspace,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this as well. We've got a fix out in the latest beta release if you're interested in trying it out now: Use 1Password beta releases

Otherwise, once it's been tested and approved, we should see this come to the production build as well so look out for that: 1Password for Mac Releases

Apologies for any trouble this has caused you, let me know if you give the beta a shot or if you have any questions. 🙂

• chrisrosa
    chrisrosa
    Community Member

Mine is doing this as well, and it's extremely frustrating with 5 different computers. You mentioned there's a fix for this coming. Should I submit a ticket and diagnostic reports as well?

• @chrisrosa – If you could also email in a diagnostics report by following my instructions above, that will help our investigation. Thanks very much! :)

This discussion has been closed.