Apple Watch Unlock Stopped Working

2»

Comments

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

Thanks @andrew.l_1P. That is helpful. I'll assume that responses directly to me will include a tag and uncheck the others.

• Happy to help, @benmattison! You're spot on, replies from the team here will ping you directly so you won't be missing anything from us by unchecking other options. 😊

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@benmattison I hear you.

My workaround is to:

• deselect Notify me when people comment on my discussions.
    • Select Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.

...but you do have to remember to bookmark your new posts etc.

• mixture
    mixture
    Community Member

@Dave_1P, you mentioned "Out of curiosity, does this happen when you wake the Mac from sleeping? If you leave the Mac running and prevent it from sleeping for 10-30 minutes then does Apple Watch unlock eventually start working again on it's own?"

This is exactly what happens with mine, except that in my case we're not talking putting the machine in sleep, but rather screen lock with display off, not full on sleep. (I have a MBP that is connected to power source pretty much 24/7). Scenario is always this:

When I go to sleep or go away from the computer for a night's sleep, the machine goes to display off (and locks the screen) after 30 minutes. When I wake up in the morning, I can 100% of the time (well with the exception when it once in a while asks for a password to enable Mac unlock with Apple Watch, but this is like once a week or so and I think normal behavior) unlock the Mac with the Apple Watch.

However, nearly 100% of the times after waking up from my sleep in the morning, I cannot unlock 1Password with Apple Watch (and when checking, Apple Watch unlock is not enabled in 1Password settings, but rather the Set Up Apple Watch button is showing). However, I don't need to enable or disable anything in the 1Password or Mac settings, but rather the 1Password unlock with Apple Watch starts automatically working after maybe 10-30 minutes, after the Mac has been unlocked with Apple Watch.

Interestingly, having the machine's display off with screen lock during the day, for shorter periods of time than a night's sleep, the Mac unlock with Apple Watch still continues to work normally, but ALSO, most of the time, not always though, 1Password unlock with Apple Watch works instantly after you have unlocked Mac with the Apple Watch. There's no 10-30 minutes delay like above.

This absolutely never happened with Monterey for me (I'm on 1Password 7 still). This started happening after upgrading to Ventura. Anyway, maybe a future macOS update fixes it for me, or maybe I need to do some of the troubleshooting mentioned earlier in the thread, but we'll see, I'll get to that when it starts bothering me enough.

• @mixture

I've documented this behavior for the team and yes it is specific to Ventura from everyone I have talked with.

Interestingly, having the machine's display off with screen lock during the day, for shorter periods of time than a night's sleep, the Mac unlock with Apple Watch still continues to work normally,

Correct I've seen the same behavior reported.

At this time you can try the steps above if you wish but I've tried them with several folks while trying to nail this down for the team and none provided relief. I was able to replicate this on my own device. I don't want to discourage you but only allow you to keep some free time during this holiday season.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

ref: dev/core/core#18393

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@Dave_1P I've had it working OK for the last 24 hours and time will tell. I did a lot of research online and find a page that seems to have worked (as I wrote time will tell).

well, that didn't last long :-(

• rnb2
    rnb2
    Community Member

Just chiming in to say that I'm seeing the same issue on 13.0.1 and 1Password 7.9.6. I'm able to unlock my Mac with my Apple Watch when I wake the screen for the first time each day, but 1Password gives the "1Password can't unlock via TouchID with the screen closed" message (this is an M1 Pro 14" MacBook Pro). I have to type my 1Password code to unlock it, and when I check 1Password Preferences, the Set Up Apple Watch button is there, but it takes me to the "Privacy and Security" section of System Settings, but with nothing obvious to do there (I assume because that is actually handled by the OS itself).

I don't think this happened with 13.0, only after installing 13.0.1.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

I am also having exactly the same problem recently. The Apple Watch unlocks the Mac just fine, but does not unlock 1PW as it should frequently. As mentioned in other comments, toggling the system setting for the Apple Watch unlock off, and then back on cures it temporarily.

When you contact Apple support and they find out that the Apple Watch unlocks the Mac and authorizes installations, etc., they are just going to toss the ball back to 1Password. IMHO!!

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

When you contact Apple support and they find out that the Apple Watch unlocks the Mac and authorizes installations, etc., they are just going to toss the ball back to 1Password. IMHO!!

I'm not so sure.
    Do you have any other apps that should also unlock with your watch?
    I do. When it stops working for 1Password, it stops working for all my other apps as well (even though it still works for the Mac itself). I think this is may well be an Apple issue.

...but it's so frustrating that it makes me not want to use 1Passsord as you lose time waiting for the Watch and then have to type the password in anyway :-(

@ag_tommy Is there anyway that 1Password can complain to Apple given you guys have a relationship and will carry more weight than us as individuals?

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Is there anyway that 1Password can complain to Apple given you guys have a relationship and will carry more weight than us as individuals?

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I assume that's a 'no' then...

• @JamesHenderson

Sorry for missing your question. Tommy and I (both on the support team) aren't able to answer that question but I've passed it along to the development team to see if there are any levers that they can pull from their end if this does turn out to be a macOS issue. Since you're running into the issue with multiple apps on your Mac (not just 1Password) I do recommend reporting the issue to Apple from your end as well. 🙂

-Dave

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

Thanks!

• buckZor
    buckZor
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

Unlock with Apple Watch used to work WONDERFULLY with 1Password 7 on my Macbook Pro. Now, after upgrading to 1Pass 8, it is SO hit and miss, sometimes it's available and works fine, sometimes it's available (little watch icon in the login box) but doesn't work, application just wiggles and sometimes it's not even available. I have a modern apple watch (series 7) it's running current WatchOS. Running current Ventura MacOS. Are you guys working on this? It's making me crazy, my 1Pass logins (and I have TWO accounts) are very long and complex!!!

• @buckZor

The issue is under investigation for sure. The issue so far has consisted of entirely Ventura reports. For this reason it seems it might be an OS related change (or bug) of some sort. I apologize for the trouble; you're not alone. You description aligns with the other reports I've had.

• FutureOak
    FutureOak
    Community Member

Anecdotal, but unlock with Apple Watch seems more reliable after upgrading to macOS 13.2

I think it fails maybe once or twice per work day now, where as before it would work properly once or twice per day.

• buckZor
    buckZor
    Community Member

I should mention, unlocking my mac with my apple watch works without incident, I do it multiple times in a day. Right after unlocking the Mac with the watch, I want to unlock 1Pass with the watch and that's where it all falls apart. I am on the latest build of Ventura.

• That's correct @buckZor in that unlocking the Mac seem to be unaffected.

• benedickmiller
    benedickmiller
    Community Member

Apple-watch unlock for 1Password has stopped working for me recently. It used to work fine. Apple watch unlock will unlock my Mac. When 1Passwords opens it shows that it is waiting for approval on the Watch, but nothing happens on the watch. When clicking the watch icon to use watch to unlock 1Password App nothing happens on the watch. This used to work.
    Intel iMac, MacOS 13.3.1 (a) watch OS 9.4 1Password for Mac version 8.10.4 I have tried disabling unlock with watch in 1Password & Mac Preferences, restart, re-enable. etc. I have tried a couple of times. I can't get it working. Any ideas?

• @benedickmiller

Off-hand, it sounds like the OS issue we have filed with Apple regarding unlocking. We'd be happy to look at a diagnostic report to confirm that, if you'd like to send one over. The tl;dr is that this will need help from the OS side, assuming of course that you are experiencing the issue I have in mind. It affects users on Ventura and both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs.

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password preferences will open.
    3. Tap Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: benedickmiller
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/685357/#Comment_685357

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• benedickmiller
    benedickmiller
    Community Member

Thanks, I have sent the email, support ID number: [#HBF-37437-413]

• Thanks @benedickmiller

ref: HBF-37437-413

• benedickmiller
    benedickmiller
    Community Member

Since the last few days unlocking 1Password with Apple Watch works again, as before :)

• @benedickmiller

Thanks for the update! I'm glad that things seem to be working now, if you run into the issue again then please reply to the email support ticket if you have any other questions.

-Dave

• Hello everyone,

Our development team is having trouble reproducing the intermittent Apple Watch unlock behaviour that you reported when using the latest version(s) of watchOS (9.5.2) and macOS (Ventura 13.4.1).

We'd like to know if you're still experiencing the issue and, if you are, to let us know what versions of watchOS and macOS you're currently running. If you're not already on the latest version of both watchOS (9.5.2) and macOS (Ventura 13.4.1) you can update to them by following these steps:

Let me know if you can still reproduce the issue, and what specific versions of watchOS and macOS you're running, and I can pass along your report to our development team.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18393

• rmpel
    rmpel
    Community Member

I am not a 1Password/AgileBits developer, I am a long time 1Password user (and loving it!), so my response here is not official advice, but this shorter method did solve my occurrence of this problem;

1. Disable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password for Mac (1Password > Preferences > Security > Uncheck "Apple Watch"). (Skip this step if you don't see the option.) AND QUIT 1P
    2. Disable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Uncheck "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac")
    3. Turn off your Mac.
    4. Restart your Apple Watch: Restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support
    5. Turn on your Mac.
    6. Enable Apple Watch Unlock for your Mac (In the MacOS menu bar:  > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Check "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac")
    7. Open 1P, Enable Apple Watch Unlock in 1Password (1Password > Preferences > Security > Check "Apple Watch"). AND QUIT 1P and reopen once more

Also, in Ventura, the location of the MacOS option is different;
     > System Preferences > Touch ID & Password > Toggle the Apple Watch toggle for the watch you are using (there could be more ;) )

Thanks @Dave_1P for the excellent support for all these years!

R.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

Thanks, @rmpel. I'm sure I've done this done this in the past but the problem still came back - it's intermittent though (so it solves itself after a while).

I'll give this a try following your exact instructions though - cheers.

• @rmpel

Thanks for sharing those steps, hopefully they'll help others. According to our developers, it seems like the issue is related to a deeper problem in how macOS handles the connection with a user's Apple Watch. A bug report has been filed with Apple and we're continuing to investigate to see if this behaviour can be improved from our end while Apple investigates from their end.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.