Chrome: 1P extension cant find app

kevinosinski
kevinosinski
Community Member
edited November 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Upgraded to 1Password 8 on Mac. Running latest version of Chrome & 1P extension. 1Password is filling passwords fine in Chrome. But if I click on the 1Password icon in the Chrome toolbar, it says "Looking for the 1Password app" and then "Couldn't connect to 1Password". The various support steps (quit/restart, check for latest versions, etc) don't fix this. I am not having this problem on another Mac with a similar configuration.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 12.6.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @kevinosinski, it's possible you have both the new extension and classic extension in Chrome. The classic extension does not work with 1Password 8. We'll need to remove the classic extension so that it doesn't interfere with your saving and filling.

Here are the steps for that:

1. Copy and paste chrome://extensions to your Chrome browser and click Enter.
    2. Look for 1Password extension (desktop app required) and click to Remove it.
    3. Make sure that you have the new extension installed: 1Password - Password Manager
    4. Make sure that the new extension is pinned to Chrome's toolbar: https://support.1password.com/missing-browser-button/#chrome

Let us know if you need any more help!

• kevinosinski
    kevinosinski
    Community Member

Thanks, that fixed it.

Two extensions were listed; they were hard to tell apart, and in "details" the version number of the new extension is actually lower than the old one. Anyway, I deleted them both and re-added the new extension and was good to go.

It would have been nice if the Mac install of 1Password 8 had been better about cleaning up after 1Password 7. I had different little problems on each of my Macs.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@kevinosinski I'm glad that helped! I can understand what you're saying about 1Password 8 not cleaning things up very well. I'm curious -- are things okay now with 1Password on your Macs? If you have any other issues, please let us know. If you have any other feedback, please also feel free to share.

• kevinosinski
    kevinosinski
    Community Member

Yes, things are mostly good now on Macs. On another Mac, I have had Safari extension disappear, but I found a new item in Help menu that fixes whatever the problem is.

• @kevinosinski

I'm happy to hear that you are able to use 1Password on all your devices. I would like to look into the behavior you described where 1Password for Safari keeps disappearing. Can you confirm which version of MacOS you are running on those devices? If those devices are running an previous version of MacOS, upgrading to Ventura has been known to solve this issue without having to keep using the Help menu item.

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback, we're always happy to hear from our users. :)

• kevinosinski
    kevinosinski
    Community Member

I'm running the latest version of Monterey (12.6.1); not quite ready for Ventura yet. I assumed this was a known problem, since I found the 1Password > Help > Troubleshooting > Fix Missing Safari Extension menu item was mentioned in some support article.

• @kevinosinski

Thank you for getting back to me with that info! You are correct that this is a known problem. Like I previously mentioned, the issue was fixed in Ventura. I understand if you are not ready to update your macOS yet but wanted you to know what options were available to you. I hope you found this info helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.