Comments

• clamb3r
    clamb3r
    Community Member

One more voice in the crowd - this is regularly disrupting my work

1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009)
    Chrome Extension: 2.4.3
    MacOS: 12.6.1 (21G217)
    Chrome: Version 107.0.5304.110 (Official Build) (x86_64)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

• thatluke
    thatluke
    Community Member

I've been experiencing this too. It's constantly a nightmare. Happens to me multiple times a day where I'm waiting 3-5 minutes and it freezes all instances of my browser (Brave). What's the ETA on a fix for this?

MacOS: 12.6 (21G115)
    Brave: Version 1.45.116 Chromium: 107.0.5304.91

• erickmendonca
    erickmendonca
    Community Member

Echoing everyone else in the thread - this is happening for me as well. Worse, the 1Password Chrome Extension is managed by my company and I can't uninstall it.

1Password for Mac 8.9.8
    Chrome Extension: Version 2.4.3
    macOS: 12.2.1 (21D62)

• alan200994
    alan200994
    Community Member

I had the exact same issue and I realized 1Password has 2 different extensions (1), and only 1Password – Password Manager works without performance issue

(1) https://1password.community/discussion/119945/two-different-chrome-extensions

• timdmackey
    timdmackey
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Oooof, sorry to see so many others with this issue. At least I'm glad to know that it's not just me! I've been having this issue on my Mac ever since upgrading to 1Password 8 (and switching to the new chrome extension)

re: @alan200994
    I had the exact same issue and I realized 1Password has 2 different extensions (1), and only 1Password – Password Manager works without performance issue

(1) https://1password.community/discussion/119945/two-different-chrome-extensions

Unfortunately, this is the extension I'm using and it's the one that's been giving me problems. I'm going to try switching back to the old extension to see if things improve. I use the keyboard shortcut 90% of the time anyways (old habits die hard!), so I doubt I'll miss the clickable UI overlays on login forms.

• steveswinsburg
    steveswinsburg
    Community Member

Same issue here. Has me thinking about switching password managers because of it.

MacOS: 12.5.1
    Chrome: Version 107.0.5304.110

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @clamb3r @thatluke @erickmendonca @alan200994 @timdmackey @steveswinsburg if you're seeing this issue when using a keyboard shortcut, then it is very likely that you've run into a known Chromium bug that has affected how 1Password works in Chrome. We reached out to the developers at Google a while back, and they made some updates which have significantly improved the experience. Those updates are currently only available in Chrome Canary, but we're hopefully that they will come to the stable version of Chrome.

We do recommend unlocking via the 1Password desktop app and filling via the inline menu until there is a better solution. Another option is to use a different browser (like Safari or Firefox), as they are not affected by this bug. The last option is to set up Chrome Canary and use 1Password to open/fill from there. Here's how to get Chrome Canary: https://www.google.com/chrome/canary/

I hope this provides some insight into what's going on. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• drewe20001
    drewe20001
    Community Member

I was finding that it was worse with the keyboard shortcut, but the drop down menu at the top of my screen, at the top of the browser, and the inline dropdown all caused the same problem. It literally made my computer unusable. So a bug in Chrome may have been a factor - but I had the same problem in every browser including Safari.

Downgrading to 1Password 7 was a HUGE relief. It works instantly, reliably, exactly as it should. 1Password should be invisible and magical (like it was), but 1Password 8 was like riding down a pothole filled torn up cobblestone street on my bicycle (which I have to do some in NYC). I don't wish that on anyone.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @drewe20001 if the issue occurred with the inline menu and in Safari, then you were experiencing a problem outside of the Chromium bug. I'm glad that 1Password 7 is working for you. If you want to try 1Password 8 in the future, please let us know and we'll help with anything you run into. Thanks for your time and patience.

• cmac
    cmac
    Community Member

@Joy_1P -- the issue is only when 1password is locked and now frequently freezes the browser for over 5 minutes. If this is a Chromium bug related to keyboard shortcuts, it's surprising that the same shortcut work without issue when 1password is already unlocked. Does that not suggest that there is something that could be done in the 1password app to avoid triggering the bug? 1pw is typically a great product, but is entirely unusable when one keystroke can freeze your browser for 5-10 minutes.

I won't bore you with the full 7 minute video of a spinning beach ball:

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@cmac Let's take a closer look at 1Password in your browser to confirm what is going on. At this time, I'd like you to reproduce the issue and send over the following:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.