1p8 browser extension slow

Browser extension is incredibly, painfully slow - to the point of being unusable. Authentication at the browser - takes forever. pw lookup - even longer. I've resorted to using desktop, and cutting and pasting un and pw. It's that slow.

1Password Version: 8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 12
Referrer: forum-search:1p8 browser slow

Comments

• @rand0

That's not the experience we want you to have. Please email us using support@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. I'd like to have one of out extension folks help you resolve this trouble.

• ronanchilvers
    ronanchilvers
    Community Member

I have the same problem on OSX. The quick access menu app sometimes crashes and I have to re-start it. When it is running, access is variably slow - occasionally freezing my entire browser (Chrome) for several seconds. Using the quick access keystroke (OPTION+CMD+\ on OSX) sometimes either doesn't work or the quick access panel takes an age to appear while my laptops fan goes mad. Right now its taking around 5 to 10 seconds for the panel to appear.

Overall performance of the browser integration and quick access is much worse than it was before version 8 - previous versions of the app were extremely snappy and I never saw performance issues. Back to a native app and speedy performance please!

• thebrant
    thebrant
    Community Member

Same here. It had been working pretty well for a few months. For the last 1-2 weeks it's taking ages. At first I thought it was completely failing to find the matching item in my vault, an impression reinforced by 1P offering to create a new masked email as if I were registering (which is especially rich given that it fails to do that more often than not when I actually am.)

Between this and the thing where functionality is hobbled whenever Chrome has a pending update, usability is really poor more than half the time.

1P team, I'm sure you guys are tired of people threatening to switch. But if I can't reliably count on 1P being faster and easier to use than Keepass…

• saltyfox
    saltyfox
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Having the same experience since the upgrade from 7 to 8. It seems like maybe it's a caching issue or the like as it gets progressively worse over the course of the day. Just now, I tried to autofill an account login, and it took over 2m and the memory process ramped up to 50 GB+ for that specific browser page.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @saltyfox, that is very odd. Could you let me know if you're getting that issue when trying to fill a login with a keyboard shortcut? If not, what steps are you taking to fill your logins? Does the issue happen on every website or just a specific one?

• davidhersey
    davidhersey
    Community Member

Same here -- sometimes it is quick, sometimes 5 seconds to load. Really bogs me down. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling but no luck.

• Hi @davidhersey, sorry this has been your experience - we'd love to dig in deeper on this and get things set right for you.

In order to do so, I'll ask you to send us a short email at support@1password.com. That way, we can discuss in-depth and figure out what's going on in your configuration that might lead to this, and how we can help.

Please include a link to this discussion, as well as your forum username. That way we'll know it's you and can pick up the conversation without any further recap needed.

Thanks, and I hope this provides a helpful start to a resolution for you 🤝

• davidhersey
    davidhersey
    Community Member

Sure thing -- I actually sent one this morning. Will reply to it with link.

• Thanks @davidhersey, sorry for the disruption.

• friendlycashew
    friendlycashew
    Community Member

Hi all, I had the same issue 1P8 on Brave browser (the Chrome extension) was half of the time extremely slow to load when clicking on the extension toolbar item.

I don't know how the bug fix is progressing but a workaround that works great for me was to disable "Integrate with 1Password app" in the extension's settings.
    Looks like the integration between the app and the extension may be the issue.

My setup:
    macos Ventura 13.1
    Brave Version 1.47.171 Chromium: 109.0.5414.87 (Official Build) (arm64)
    App: 1Password for Mac 8.9.11 (80911019)
    Extension: Version 2.5.1

• Hey @friendlycashew,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password in the browser. I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

Can you please re enable the integration setting and then send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• friendlycashew
    friendlycashew
    Community Member

Thanks @steph.giles , I sent an email with both logs and also added a screen recording.

Support ID number: [#XJK-33234-486]

• @friendlycashew

Thanks for the prompt response, we'll continue troubleshooting over email.

This discussion has been closed.