1Password 8 Windows sandbox login

pvq7
pvq7
Community Member

With 1Password 7 I could login through a sandbox so that no keyloggers can capture the master password. Where can I find it on 1Password 8?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @pvq7 , are you referring to the Secure Desktop method of login here? Just want to make sure that I understand correctly before providing an answer. 👍 Thanks!

• pvq7
    pvq7
    Community Member

Yes, I'm referring to the Secure Desktop method

• Hi @pvq7:

Thanks for following up on this! We're still putting the finishing touches on Secure Desktop unlock, and as such it's only available in our beta and nightly releases of 1Password 8 for Windows. If you're using a beta or nightly build of 1Password 8, pressing ctrl+enter in the password field will open the Secure Desktop version of 1Password to unlock the app. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#11570

• pvq7
    pvq7
    Community Member

@jack.platten thank you for your feedback. I'll wait until the stable/production release is available.

• Blake
    edited February 2022

On Jack's behalf, you're welcome!

We look forward to you giving this a try once it's available in the Stable channel! 💙

• tmakaro
    tmakaro
    Community Member

Just to add. Will Secure Desktop be available to set as the default way to sign in? It never was in 1P7. I suppose I could use the nightly to check for myself, but I'm too lazy for that at the moment.

• Hi @tmakaro, I'm sorry we don't have anything to share on those specifics yet. But we hope you will find things to live in this Nightly and others shortly upcoming!

• pvq7
    pvq7
    Community Member

Version 8.6 is now available on windows, but still no secure desktop to login??

• Hi @pvq7, as far as I know you should be able to open the 1Password for Windows login screen, select the password field if it isn't already, and press ctrl + enter to log in using Secure Desktop mode. Let me know if that works for you!

• pvq7
    pvq7
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P No, this doesn't seem to work. While the "Enter your password" field is selected on the login screen of the windows app (8.6.0) and pressing ctrl+enter nothing happens. No secure desktop appears. FYI windows version is 21H2 (build 22000.556)

• Hey @pvq7:

That doesn't sound quite right. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC to see why Secure Desktop might not be acting as it should:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• pvq7
    pvq7
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P Support ID is [#RYX-28943-267]

• Hi @pvq7, thanks for replying with those details. We'll be in touch with you shortly!

ref: RYX-28943-267

• donpeppi
    donpeppi
    Community Member

I also have the same problem. Nothing happens when I pres ctrl + enter. My windows version is 21H2 and my 1Password version is 8.7.0

• Hi @donpeppi:

We're still putting the finishing touches on Secure Desktop unlock, and as such it's only available on our beta and nightly channels. If you're using a beta or nightly build, Ctrl+Enter will work to unlock 1Password on a Secure Desktop. If you're on a production build, then it will not do anything. If you'd like to switch to the beta releases, you can do so from Settings > Advanced > Release Channel. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• donpeppi
    donpeppi
    Community Member

Hello
    Thanks for the info. I updated and it works fine.

• @donpeppi, On behalf of Jack, you're most welcome. I'm glad to hear Secure Desktop is working for you after the update. Have a great day!

• JoshuaJMorgan
    JoshuaJMorgan
    Community Member

Secure Desktop unlock has been available in the beta releases since January, but it is August 2022 and there still isn't Secure Desktop unlock in the Production release of v8. I do NOT want to use a beta version of software that I've been paying for since v4 just to restore a feature that has been core functionality for years. I use 1Password at work and my organization doesn't allow Windows Hello, and ever since switching to v8, I now have to enter my extremely long unlock password in an unsecure/key-logger-vulnerable window rather than the Windows Secure Desktop that was such an important feature in v7.

These other threads are requesting the same feature to be restored:

https://1password.community/discussion/125244/secure-desktop-logon-missing
    https://1password.community/discussion/125204/1password-8-secure-unlock

At the very least, please give us an ETA for when Secure Desktop is going to be restored in v8, because I may need to revert to v7 in the meantime.

• ag_mike_d
    edited August 2022

Hello @JoshuaJMorgan,

Thanks for your feedback and providing the details about your organization's limitation of the use of Windows Hello. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes, but we are not able to offer an ETA on the Secure Desktop feature in Production builds of 1Password 8. Please keep an eye out for updates here in our release notes.

I've included the your details in our internal issue letting the team know this something your interested in seeing make a return to the 1Password 8 Production build.

If you'd prefer to not use the Beta or Nightly channels of 1Password 8 and would like to revert to 1Password 7, I've included a direct link there for you. I'd recommend ensuring you have a copy of your Emergency Kit with your account password recorded on it, then you can uninstall 1Password 8 for Windows, before reinstalling version 7.

We appreciate your patience while the teams continues testing and working on this feature.

ref: dev/core/core#11570

• JoshuaJMorgan
    JoshuaJMorgan
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, @ag_mike_d, especially for the direct link to v7.

Out of curiosity, would if be a problem if I were to use v7 at work and v8 at home? I'm specifically concerned about multiline text fields, which are a new v8 feature.

Aside from the lack of Secure Desktop and a few other long-standing features that disappeared in v8 (like the ability to rearrange sections/fields or to change a field's type after adding), v8 is pretty solid, so I plan to continue using v8 at home where I can use Windows Hello instead of Secure Desktop.

• Hello again @JoshuaJMorgan, you're most welcome!

Out of curiosity, would if be a problem if I were to use v7 at work and v8 at home? I'm specifically concerned about multiline text fields, which are a new v8 feature.

I've recently bumped into this issue with another customer. As you've noted this is a new feature in version 8, the issue you'll run into is that text fields saved in 7, won't appear as wrapped text when viewed in version 8. When returning to version 8 at home, this can be fixed by resaving those text fields.

Aside from the lack of Secure Desktop and a few other long-standing features that disappeared in v8 (like the ability to rearrange sections/fields or to change a field's type after adding), v8 is pretty solid, so I plan to continue using v8 at home where I can use Windows Hello instead of Secure Desktop.

I'm glad to hear that you are liking 1Password 8! With regard to the other features mentioned, rearranging sections/fields and changing a field's type, we currently have feature requests open for each and I've included your details there as well.

Have a great day!

ref: IDEA-I-372
    ref: IDEA-I-530

• DefiCzech
    DefiCzech
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

I have problem with Secure Desktop method of login. After hitting ctrl + enter I can see only black window without possibility to put any login informations.
    I am using 1Password for Windows 8.9.10 (80910009)

• Hello @DefiCzech,

Thanks for your message and I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've been encountering with Secure Desktop.

The Secure Desktop functionality has remained in our testing channels with little customer feedback or demand for this feature making it's way to Production. This, coupled with changes to the architecture in 1Password 8, the use of Single Sign-on (SSO) becoming more prevalent, and the availability of Windows Hello on modern platforms, has reduced the need for the Secure Desktop feature.

With our rewrite and the changes in architecture between 1Password versions 7 and 8, we've continued testing this feature but it's been challenging to get this feature working up to the standards expected of 1Password. When considering the rollout of alternate ways to authenticate (SSO and Windows Hello), and the lack of community feedback, it was decided to not move forward with the Secure Desktop feature in 1Password 8 for Windows.

We're continuing to monitor customer feedback and pass it along to our Product team. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

• tmakaro
    tmakaro
    Community Member

Please bring secure desktop to the stable release! However, you must allow me to make that the default (well the default when not using Windows Hello); otherwise I often forgot that it existed in 1P7.

• ag_mike_d
    edited November 2022

Thanks, @tmakaro - I've passed your feedback along to the team.

ref: IDEA-I-1181

• DefiCzech
    DefiCzech
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

@ag_mike_d but typing password without isolating will be less secure against keylogger or not? I love the whole purpose of this feature based on this explanation https://1password.community/discussion/comment/472789/#Comment_472789

• Hello again @DefiCzech,

When speaking with the teams internally and based on the comments in the linked post Secure Desktop makes things a bit more secure. However, if designed correctly, it's still possible for some keyloggers to record keystrokes even on Secure Desktop on Windows. For this reason, we've implemented other security features such as the Secret Key, Windows Hello, and two-factor authentication to help protect your account.

If you have any additional feedback to share, just let us know and we'll be happy to pass this along to the team.

This discussion has been closed.