Local vault recovery

jochi
jochi
Community Member

I just upgraded from 1Password 6 to 7. I had 3 vaults, 2 local and 1 in Dropbox.

It seems like the import just pulled in the Dropbox vault and ignored the local ones.

I found this discussion and located the backup local file but I don't see any way in 1Password 7 to import it.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• jochi
    jochi
    Community Member

It looks like the backups are bad. 1Password didn't make a single backup between September 2019 and last Friday 3/24. 1Password blew away 2.5 years of password history.

• jochi
    jochi
    Community Member

So I've emailed support multiple times now and they haven't responded. According to where the files are stored, 1Password hasn't saved any data at all or made any backups since September 24, 2019.

• jochi
    jochi
    Community Member

So I found 1Password has been saving data in a completely other place, but when I try to restore from those files they're incorrectly formatted or parsed because it says I've got 1,001 items but zero items are displayed.

• Hi @jochi:

Thanks for reaching out, and I'm sorry to hear you're running into trouble with the migration. As you can imagine, we're a bit busier than we usually are, so I sincerely appreciate your patience. As a first step, I'd like you to quit 1Password for Mac fully (Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password Completely from the menu bar). Reopen 1Password and check to see if your items are displayed.

If your items aren't displayed after completely quitting 1Password and reopening, I'd like you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac so we can locate where your vaults are, and get them imported into 1Password 7:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please attach the diagnostics to your current email conversation with us: #HDS-66368-278.

Jack

ref: HDS-66368-278

• jochi
    jochi
    Community Member

whut, ok. the passwords are there now.

Now that I have them what do I do to get them where they belong?

Also, why is 1Password saving data all over the place? First it's in Application Support, then it's in Group Containers, then it's back in Application Support and now it's back in Group Containers.

• jochi
    jochi
    Community Member

Ugh, this is a nightmare. Somehow the stuff that was originally migrated was an outdated version of my database so I'm looking at hundreds of duplicate logins now as I try to put things back where they belong.

• Hi @jochi:

Thanks for following up. Given that this will likely taking a closer look at your specific setup to ensure all of your items get migrated properly, following the steps I provided above to provide a diagnostics report and emailing in it would be your best bet.

Jack

• marfont
    marfont
    Community Member

Hi, i have the same problem and i had to reinstall 1pass, and now i can't find the local vault backup to restore it.
    I appreciate your help.

• @marfont

Thank you for reaching out. For help with restoring an older legacy standalone vault, I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can help you directly. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.