why doesn't autofill work on some websites? Using 1Password for Mac 8.9.4

bdahlen
bdahlen
Community Member
edited November 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Why doesn't 1Password autofill work on some websites? For example, when trying to login to Southwest Airlines starting from 1Password and clicking on one of the four of us who have separate sign ons to SWA, none of them will autofill. If I copy and paste the user name and password I can sign in, but not if trying to autofill. Any insight would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: Monterrey 12.6.1
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:autofill doesn't always work on 1Password for Mac 8.9.4

Comments

• Hi @bdahlen,

Sorry to hear autofill isn't behaving as expected. In some cases websites are built in a way that 1Password can't identify the necessary fields to fill. This doesn't seem to be the case for Southwest Airlines though (I'm a big fan of their open seating process!) so let's figure out what else is going on.

I'd like to start by confirming exactly what steps you're taking. For example, are you using the "Open & Fill" option from within the 1Password 8 desktop app? Or perhaps you're using the browser extension? Knowing which buttons or keyboard shortcuts are being used will help us determine the source, so any details you can provide will help.

Looking forward to your reply. 🙂

• bdahlen
    bdahlen
    Community Member

Hi Andrew. Thanks so much for responding to my question. I am on my iMac desktop using Safari 16.1. My typical way to access websites is to go to the 1Password app and click on the weblink from there. So for this example I click on the link (www.southwest.com). from my tagged list of saved websites and It brings up the Southwest site. I click on Log In. The User name and Password fields come up. When I click inside the username field or the password field, 1Password appears and gives me a choice of the 4 sign ons that I have saved for each of the family members who have their own accounts. When I click on any one of the four nothing happens. That is, it does not autofill.

A second method I have tried is to begin from the Safari browser extension. I will type in Southwest and it gives me the four options I mentioned above. I select one and click on Open and Fill in Search Options and I have the same problem. I have also tried moving to the upper right section of the Search Results where there is another Open and Fill option. Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. I end up having to do a Copy and Paste to fill in the user name and password.

The last option I have tried is to click on the 1Password icon at the top of the screen on the right side (not in Safari) (sorry, I can't remember what the name of the ribbon on the top of the screen is called) and click on Open Quick Access. I type in Southwest and have the same problem as previously mentioned.

I hope this gives you something to work with. If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Bill

• timbo74
    timbo74
    Community Member

I've had the exact same problem. I'm a subscriber now for more than a year. Using version 7 and earlier was a breeze. Version 8 has been a waste of my time. 98% of my logins require copying and pasting my passwords. Sure would like to know how anyone has found version 8 to be an "upgrade."

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bdahlen, thanks for that info. I tested things out on the Southwest.com website and filling works fine for me: https://share.cleanshot.com/nfPCpi.

If your logins are not filling, then it's possible that they are no longer compatible with the Southwest.com website. Can you manually save a new login for Southwest.com and then see if that fills? Here's how to manually save a login: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

Please let us know how that goes. Talk to you again soon!

• bdahlen
    bdahlen
    Community Member

Hi Andrew. Thanks so much for responding to my question. I am on my iMac desktop using Safari 16.1. My typical way to access websites is to go to the 1Password app and click on the weblink from there. So for this example I click on the link (www.southwest.com). from my tagged list of saved websites and It brings up the Southwest site. I click on Log In. The User name and Password fields come up. When I click inside the username field or the password field, 1Password appears and gives me a choice of the 4 sign ons that I have saved for each of the family members who have their own accounts. When I click on any one of the four nothing happens. That is, it does not autofill.

A second method I have tried is to begin from the Safari browser extension. I will type in Southwest and it gives me the four options I mentioned above. I select one and click on Open and Fill in Search Options and I have the same problem. I have also tried moving to the upper right section of the Search Results where there is another Open and Fill option. Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. I end up having to do a Copy and Paste to fill in the user name and password.

The last option I have tried is to click on the 1Password icon at the top of the screen on the right side (not in Safari) (sorry, I can't remember what the name of the ribbon on the top of the screen is called) and click on Open Quick Access. I type in Southwest and have the same problem as previously mentioned.

I hope this gives you something to work with. If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Bill

• bdahlen
    bdahlen
    Community Member

Joy, thanks for your response. I tried your suggestion of manually saving the login. Unfortunately that didn’t work. When I got to Save Login and got the Save in screen, it didn’t go beyond spinning. I never got a result. After several minutes I cancelled it. I tried it multiple times with more than one sign on to Southwest Airlines. I restarted my iMac, I quit and restarted Safari and also cleared cache. Any other suggestions?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@bdahlen That is odd. Do you have trouble saving your logins on any other websites? Could you try the following to see if it helps?

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Fully quit 1Password app and browser.
    4. Restart the 1Password app and then open browser.
    5. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    6. Under General, re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    7. Test things out with the extension.

If you are still unable to manually save a login on Southwest.com, I'd like you send over the following so we can take a closer look at what may be going on:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• bdahlen
    bdahlen
    Community Member

Joy, Here is the support ID: [#TZD-23293-956] I followed your directions and was unable to save my login for Southwest Airlines using any of the signons we have to SW. I tried saving some random logins and found one other that didn't work. That was for Huntington Bank. It just spun for a long time and never got to the next screen. For Huntington, my wife and I have separate signons to access the same account. Also, for Huntington, 1Password would not autofill for either of our signons. Otherwise, I tried 6 or 7 other signons and was able to get the Save in screen to come up. Hope this helps. Thanks again for your help.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@bdahlen I do see that one of my teammates replied to your support ticket and it seems like things are working now. If you have any other questions or need more help, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again.

This discussion has been closed.