Face ID Not Working [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• @jackbrannen I'm sorry to hear you've had that experience with 1Password so far. We're always working on improving, and you can reach out to us anytime here in the forums or by email at support@1password.com if something isn't working quite right.

@rigourmicrohydrin, @hoellein, @spinksj I've added you to our list as well, thanks for letting me know.

@FezVrasta thanks for the suggestion, I've passed it along to the team! Our developers are working on a fix that will allow 1Password for iOS to avoid the biometric unlock issue entirely and we plan to include that fix in a future update as soon as we can. We understand how important biometrics are for users and appreciate your continued patience.

• LordGiotto
    LordGiotto
    Community Member

Hi @mallory.j_1P, could you please add me to the list as well?
    I'm looking forward to this issue being fixed so I can start using 1Password 8 again!

• rtexas
    rtexas
    Community Member

Same. This is extremely frustrating. How isn’t this fixed yet? This is literally losing people to iCloud Keychain by the day.

• indervoort
    indervoort
    Community Member

Hi all. I am experiencing the same problem and my iPhone is running on iOS 16. Is there meanwhile anything I can do to fix this as it is really annoying to enter the password each time? Best regards, Holger

• jjochen
    jjochen
    Community Member

Same issue here after settings reset 😤😭

• part121
    part121
    Community Member

@indervoort the easiest thing to do is to delete 1Password 8 and reinstall 1Password 7. It still works properly.

• indervoort
    indervoort
    Community Member

@part121 Yes, this could be an option until a fix is available. Thanks for the hint :-)

• SEDIDEL
    SEDIDEL
    Community Member

Is incredible how there’s a lot of people looking for help and a fix since several months…. I Come here for a solution but now I see there’s anything. Same story here, had to reset some settings on mi iPhone (14 Pro Max) and now FaceID stop working. It is annoying that every time I need to use the app I have to enter the password. my password is more than 20 characters, do you know how annoying that is?

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

I’ve now installed 1PW 8 on my iPad Pro after an issue with the Safari extension of 1PW 7, it was giving me a message that it could not communicate with the app and would not accept my password. Force quitting Safari would resolve this but after some period of time it would recur. Since installing 8 and deleting 7 there have been no issues with Face ID or the Safari extension. I had installed 8 on my phone last week with no issues either so I felt confident trying it on the ipad. Quite pleased so far.

• MJProudfit
    MJProudfit
    Community Member

I did do a settings reset on my iPhone 13 Pro Max, because CarPlay is not working properly. It's not connecting automatically since I got the 13. I am also having the issues with 1Password 8 and FaceID since the reset. So maddening.

• bnn1001
    bnn1001
    Community Member

@mallory.j_1P please add me to the list of affected users as well

• dgold105
    dgold105
    Community Member

Is it just me or is this finally fixed on the latest TestFlight that just came out? No mention of it in the release notes. RC1 of 8.9.9. Seems to be working for me now.

• FezVrasta
    FezVrasta
    Community Member

Can confirm it seems to be fixed on the RC1 of 8.9.9

• pa1ar
    pa1ar
    Community Member

i am absolutely exhausted of typing my password during the last months, so +1 affected user. dear 1password team, please DDD this RC already.

• Resetting the device caused the problem and it messed up everything. Any update to fix this issue?

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

@Jack.P_1P I’ve now had 1PW 8 on my phone for almost 10 days now with no issue, and my iPad Pro, which is currently on the ios beta release, for about 5 days again with no issue. Face ID works immediately in the main app as well as the Safari extension on both devices. Perhaps the issue is more with ios than 1PW, even though I’ve not encountered any problem. I had hesitated to install 8 on my ipad till I was comfortable with it on my phone. I had been using 7 until 4 or 5 days ago with no issues, and no issue afterwards with 8 on either device.

• bunnyteef
    bunnyteef
    Community Member

I've been having this issue for several weeks and can't take it anymore. I have been a paid 1Password user for years. I have to enter my master password every single time I open the app or try to use it in Safari on my iPhone 14 because FaceID fails.

I'm so disappointed to see how long this has been going on and how many users are impacted without resolution. What is the ETR for a universal fix? I am ready to switch to another password manager.

• rafaelbelomo
    rafaelbelomo
    Community Member

Waiting to solve this problem that several users have been reporting for months.

• Pete_DGRX
    Pete_DGRX
    Community Member

Contacted support about this weeks ago - faceid w iPhone 14 iOS 16 1p 8 not working.
    They suggested I go back to 1p 7 or… reset the whole phone (!)… like who has time for this… and then u end up still having the issue cause it’s only probably a fix.
    I mean, first world problem here for sure - but this has been an issue it seems since August. Is effin xmas soon.

What gives 1p ??

• dgrushton
    dgrushton
    Community Member

Using ios16 and 1Password 8 Face ID will not unlock app.

1Password Version: 8
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 16
    Browser:_ Safari
    Referrer: forum-search:IOS 16 on an iPad, can not unlock 1 password8 with Face ID.

• aphonic
    aphonic
    Community Member

Re: go back to 1p7 - how do we do that? I’d prefer to stop using 8 honestly, I don’t think it’s an improvement form a usability view (I've tried and tried but I find it cumbersome comparatively, and just slow all around to do the things I used to do with a ta0)!- and I still have the faceid bug. But since 8 superseded 7, I don’t see how the recommendation to revert is possible. I don’t see 7 in the App Store or purchase history. I’m not s fan of developers doing major revisions as replacement apps for this reason, especially when it’s subscription based. Perhaps I’m just missing something, wouldn’t be the first time!

I do appreciate bugs happen and that sometimes product revisions are a miss, but I do hope the team are listening to feedback not just on face I'd but the v8 experience. For me it was a step backwards in the ui.

Happy to be patient but would rather revert to 7 until such time as security is no longer possible with it.

• notMyUserName
    notMyUserName
    Community Member

For me, at least, 1Password7 does not fix the problem. Removing and reinstalling 1Password7 will fix it for a week or so but it will just come back. Over and over. Every time I reinstall 7 the problem goes away but it always comes back. This is on a completely up to date, new this August, iPhone 13. I reinstalled 7 again a week or so again because Face ID has again stopped working. I just now went to log into something on my iPhone and Face ID isn't working in 1Password7. Again. So I came back here to see if there was any news but I guess not. Face ID works in every other app that uses it (including notoriously terrible ones like AT&T's) on my phone but not 1Password.

Please, please, please fix this. I've been a 1Password user since 2007 and I'd rather not leave but having something basic like this not work for four months on something I am paying a (not cheap) subscription for is just not acceptable. It really isn't. How can 1Password not get this?

• bigedid
    bigedid
    Community Member

The Face ID option has disappeared. I can only use my Master Password. As it has been a few years since I used it, I have forgotten it and can no longer get into my account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: IOS 16.1
    Browser:_ Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:I am no longer getting the option to open 1password with Face ID.

• jonskyywalker
    jonskyywalker
    Community Member

Works amazing on the rest of my apple devices except my iPad Pro iPadOS 16.1.1. Haven’t reset any settings but Face ID will not work, switching back to 7 works.

• I can confirm @dgold105 ’s observation that the latest TestFlight version (80909016) appears to fix the problem. I was prompted for my master password once, and since then FaceID works, and pretty quickly at that.

Barring other issues in the RC, I’d consider this one resolved.

• Thanks for the update @WaitingForGuacamole. 🤞

Ben

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

RC1 of 8.9.9 broke the 2-week password input interval. I had to go back to v7 which works well with the Safari extension. Clear difference. Other than a consistent crash when long-pressing some items in 1P7, it's fine.

I confirmed this by reinstalling 1PW7, removing 1PW8 and the Safari extension was fine (once I logged in once, I could go back later to the same sites and login without having to enter my 1PW master password). As soon as I reinstalled v8, i continuously had to reenter my master password for the same sites. Reinstalling 1PW7 again fixed this.

Sorry to see the regression since earlier TestFlight builds of the 1P8 did fix this issue. Hoping the next RC fixes it...

• uwillenbacher
    uwillenbacher
    Community Member

I’m sorry to report, but I had to go back to 1Password 7 as well, the new version drove me nuts, not accepting the Face ID and I got tired typing my very long master password over and over again...do you have enough data or would you need another trace? How can I help?

This discussion has been closed.