Search no longer searches Notes

SamB3T
SamB3T
Community Member

As of maybe a couple months ago, 1Pass doesn't seem to search Notes content anymore when using the search bar. This has proven to be a pain as it was a very useful thing to have, particularly for names or other common details.

Unrelated but while I'm here, can I please put in a feature request to toggle how the search bar works? I want Enter to show all matching searches, not the one that happens to be highlighted. Ctrl Enter goes against muscle memory for so many other products that work the standard way, I'd appreciate being able to hit Enter and get all my results again please.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Not Provided

Β«1

Comments

• TaylorD1P
    TaylorD1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SamB3T

Have you tried our Find search? This can be done by opening 1Password and pressing CTRL + ALT + F

I believe this is the functionality that you are looking for. In 1Password 8 we updated the search feature to be a little different than it was in 1Password 7. Please give Find a try and let me know if that helps.

I look forward to hearing from you.

• SamB3T
    SamB3T
    Community Member

Hi Taylor, this key combo does seem to do what I'm after.
    IMO this seems a little redundant from a UI perspective, as there's a clear and obvious search bar that should be sufficient without having to use a seperate key combo. Personally my feedback on this feature is I don't need or want multiple search methods. The Ctrl Enter result would be ideal for just hitting Enter, if my wording makes sense.

Aside from this, I'd like to keep this thread open for the Notes not being searched, this does not work with either search method. Cheers.

• TaylorD1P
    TaylorD1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2022

Hi @SamB3T

I have added your +1 vote to for this feature request.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

ref: IDEA-I-289

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member

+1 on searching notes. Organizing years' worth of security is an ongoing challenge. We need thorough comprehensive tools find stuff!

• Hello @mitchr,

Thanks so much for your +1. This tool does exist through the Find search option and can be used with the Ctrl + Alt + F shortcut, as mentioned above. I'm happy to pass this feedback along to the Product team for their consideration when making improvements to search functionality. πŸ‘

ref: IDEA-I-289

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

1Pass doesn't seem to search Notes content anymore when using the search bar.

This tool does exist through the Find search option and can be used with the Ctrl + Alt + F shortcut

Actually I have found the opposite to be true FWIW - I did some testing today (before posting on this related thread: Why is the top search result default instead of all results?) and found Search does search the content of notes and all other fields successfully; the ctl+alt+f function (find) doesn't - it seems only capable of searching the item names and the username fields - definitely doesn't search inside secure notes, nor URL fields, nor note fields in log on items - at least on my Windows 10 Desktop App (8.9.10).

• ag_mike_d
    edited January 2023

Thanks for your response, @Mycenius.

As mentioned it seems that a search or find (Ctrl + Alt + F) only locates items with the matching string in the item name, user name, and only the first line of a notes field. It was discovered that if the term searched for is located elsewhere in the item, (password field or further down in a note) Show all matching results Ctrl + Enter will locate the related items.

An issue has been opened internally with the Development team to investigate. We appreciate your feedback and additional testing here.

ref: dev/core/core#19185

• Mycenius
    Mycenius
    Community Member

Great - Thanks @ag_mike_d - will be good if that is resolved to make 'Find' fully functional (although as I posted elsewhere still feel this whole new v8 approach to Search and Find functions is somewhat counterintuitive and a little against the flow of how most other applications normally deploy these)... πŸ™‚

• Thanks again, @Mycenius - We appreciate the feedback!

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Today I searched for a simple string and the Search Bar found it in 1 Login and 2 Notes. The Find function came up empty.
    What is the exact usage of the Search Bar vs the Find function? Please clarify.
    Thanks.

• Hello again @mitchr,

Thanks for getting back to us.

The search function includes results for items, tags, categories, etc., from the selected account or collection. This paired with Ctrl + Enter will Show all matching items in a list. Whereas typing a search string, populates a small dropdown with some top results. The Find function can be used to narrow your search by selecting an account, collection, category, or tag from the left sidebar.

This is discussed in the our guide, Search 1Password to find what you need.

The Find function came up empty.

Do you recall, when you preformed the Find, did you have an option selected in the left sidebar, where those items do not exist?

I hope this guide and information helps, but please let us know if you are having further troubles.

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

Thanks again for the reminders and the link to the help file.
    FWIW, I live and breathe computing and provide a ton of assistance to non-geeks. For a public-facing product, the UX for your search functionality is way too geeky. A person with average computer skill is very unlikely to remember how to use it. But they will still probably need to organize several hundred passwords.

Because I manage an organization where I need to share secure info w/developers who come and go, I've developed a habit of crafting Notes and Logins so I can use search functions to isolate them into the central panel for individual editing - so a well-crafted search functionality is a critical tool for me.

• Hello @mitchr,

On behalf of @ag_mike_d, you're most welcome.

Also thank you for the feedback on the search function.

As always, don't hesitate to contact us if you ever have any other questions - we'll be here to help.

Jermaine

• hardybird
    hardybird
    Community Member

Adding a +1 to @SamB3T's and @mitchr suggestion that the Search function should include all fields and notes contents. Having an additional, somewhat hidden, Ctrl-Alt-F Find function is unintuitive and frankly confusing.

Also search results should display ALL results by default. While I am now used to the Ctrl-Enter command to display all matching results, my husband (non-technical user, but an engineer with a PhD) does not remember to do this.

Finally, if you do plan to keep the same search functions and return results, then at least display a message or a hover pop-up explaining the search functionality, results, etc.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Just bring back the search UI you had in all previous versions of 1PW, i. e. no overlay/popup, no extra shortcut. Just search as you type and show all results in the middle column without the nees of an extra step/keyboard shortcut.
    I've never seen complaints about the previously used search UI in this forum but I've seen a lot about the new one.

• 1P_Gem
    edited January 2023

Hi @hardybird and @viswiz! Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback on the search function in 1Password 8. I've passed both of your suggestions along to our Product team.

If you have any further feedback or or questions, let us know πŸ˜„

ref: 30454311
    ref: 30454459

• entheo
    entheo
    Community Member

Hello all!

To further this conversation, is the CTRL+Enter search behavior expected to work on the Chrome extension as well? This is my primary interface and I am unable to search within extended fields in my records from this interface. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

• Hello @entheo,

You are not missing anything here. The Show all matching items (Ctrl + Enter) is available within the apps and not when searching in 1Password in the browser: Get to know 1Password in your browser - Search 1Password

When searching in 1Password in the browser, you are provided with a list you can scroll through, similar to the results provided in the item list after using Ctrl + Enter.

Could you let us know what challenges you are experiencing when searching 1Password in the browser? If you can provide some examples or further details about what make this experience better, I'd be happy to pass any feedback along to the Product team.

Looking forward to your reply.

• entheo
    entheo
    Community Member

Sure, basically I can't search for entries based on the 'Notes' field in the records. Notes is where I would record reminders and tags for pulling up records. Lastpass allowed me to search within the contents of the Notes field, but I don't seem to be able to do that within the Chrome extension for 1Password. It's a significant detriment to the usability of the app so just trying to see if it can be addressed somehow. Thanks!

• Hello again @entheo,

Sorry for the additional question here.

As a use for similar functionality, I turn to the app rather than the the browser extension. Not because this doesn't exist in the extension, but I haven't had a need for those types of details from notes while in the browser. Do you have specific use cases where searching the contents of a Secure Note would be helpful while using 1Password in the browser? I want to be able to provide a clear picture to the Product team when forwarding these details to them. Thanks!

• entheo
    entheo
    Community Member

Sure! Being a product manager myself, I completely understand. In my workflow, I populate the Notes of a record with details that may not be included in the URL or name of the record that help me surface that record upon searching for it. I tend to use my password manager as a bookmark manager of sorts, so when I want to visit a particular site, I'll pop open the browser extension and search for the site I want to visit, often using shorthand or references included in the Notes field. Upon finding them, I'll use the Open and Fill option to visit the site.

I've started adjusting my workflow to include those details in the Name field, so that they're searchable, but am struggling with the backlog of hundreds of records that I imported from Lastpass where these details live in Notes.

Agree that I could open the desktop app to perform this search, it's just a change in habits for myself. Not a huge deal by any means, but I guess I just expected there would be feature parity between the desktop and Chrome extension in this instance. Thanks for your attention and for passing along my notes to the correct parties. So far I'm generally quite happy with the product, being only a week in. And I'm absolutely satisfied with the customer support and attention, so thank you!

• Hello @entheo,

Thanks for your kind reply and attention to detail here. I've passed your notes along to the team.

Let us know if you need anything further, we'll be happy to help!

ref: 30951823

• gerhard498
    gerhard498
    Community Member

@ag_mike_d

Could you let us know what challenges you are experiencing when searching 1Password in the browser?

A recent example: I have a Secure Note for each car, with the VIN, license plate number and other details. These are not logins, but occasionally sites require one or the other as identifier. I remember the first few letters of the license, but that doesn't help me in the browser search. I need to remember the note title and search for it, or I need to switch to the app and use "show all matching items" of the search.

I agree with the many voices that two search functions are unnecessary -- one that works properly is enough.

My suggestion is that the search should display all matches up to a given number (maybe 8?), and if there are more matches, then there is a line at the bottom that says "Show all matching items". This way I have the option to type more to narrow the search or to type Ctrl+Enter to show all matching items. But I get to see whatever is currently matching, not an arbitrary subset of that. This is also how search works across many different applications and websites.

I consider the search, as it is today, unnecessarily broken.

• Hello @gerhard498,

Thanks for your feedback and weighing in on this discussion regarding the search functionality of 1Password and this particular use case. I've included your feedback for the team's review.

Let us know if you need anything else.

ref: 31272226

• baespey
    baespey
    Community Member

Hi all, is there an equivalent way of doing this on a Mac using the Chrome extension?

• ag_mike_d
    edited March 2023

Hello @baespey,

Thanks for your question! The capabilities of 1Password in the browser on the Mac are the same as Windows. I've created a new Insight highlighting your interest in the ability of searching note fields through the browser extension. πŸ‘

ref: 31741819

• globtrkr
    globtrkr
    Community Member

ag_mike_d,

Thank you for your involvement in soliciting user feedback and trying to improve the product.

+1 on requesting browser extension ability for search bar to search ALL fields, or at minimum the NOTES section. You were asking for real-world examples....

I used LastPass for many years, and recently purchased 1Password subscription. LastPass search function in the browser extension searched all fields instantaneously, and makes it SUPER EASY to find so many entries based on the NOTES I had created.

I've used 1Password for a few months now, and am continually annoyed that search doesn't search NOTES, thus resulting in very few hits on my searches. I basically have to know the URL or title for search to work. (I imported my 400+ entries from LastPass into 1Password)

i.e. With LastPass I could search for "sunshine", where my notes say = "favorite is sunshine aero pizza" in my notes, and it would return hits Gambinos, etc.
    But with 1Password, searching for "sunshine" or even "pizza" results in ZERO hits, and I have to search for the names or URL contents.

i.e. For parking reservations at Dulles airport, with LastPass I type in "parking", which finds my notes entry for "dullespayandgo.com".
    With 1Password I have to remember the URL words "dulles" or "payandgo".

Appreciate if 1Password will consider searching ALL FIELDS IN BROWSER EXTENSION.

Thank you,
    Marc S.

• Hello @globtrkr,

Thanks for your +1 to this feature request to include searching of all fields in 1Password in the browser.

I've filed this request to share your feedback and examples with our Product team. They regularly review feature requests from our customers to consider what should be added to future versions of 1Password. Your feedback, along with feedback from our other customers, helps them immensely with their planning.

If you have any future suggestions, please let us know. We're always here to help!

ref: 31986788

• shug
    shug
    Community Member

I'm using the Windows desktop application and if I type a keyword into the search field at the top, the drop-down showing matching items will not show entries that contain my keyword in the notes field. If I then press Ctrl+Enter to complete the search, the results will show entries that contain my keyword in the notes field.

When I am searching for something, if I'm not seeing what I'm looking for in the quick-results drop-down, I refine my keywords to try and produce the result I'm looking for. This approach does not work with 1Password. I found this very unintuitive, and it's been my biggest (and really my only) frustration since migrating from KeePass.

• Hello @shug,

Thanks for your message and feedback about the search functionality within 1Password. Other customers have expressed that they would like to see improvements here and I've included your comments for our Product team as well.

If you have any other feedback to share, please let us know.

ref: 32064381

This discussion has been closed.