Feature Request: PIN code to unlock

2»

Comments

• psiclopz
    psiclopz
    Community Member

It's been three months, is there an update regarding this? Or are we just never going to upgrade to version 8 again?

• Hi @psiclopz, thanks for following up with us. We tend to keep things pretty close to the chest, so I do not have any updates to share at this time.

• andrey123
    andrey123
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Hey 1pass people, how is it considered acceptable to release a new version of an application that comes with reduction of featurs? On my main phone I had 1pass 8 installed and I barely noticed increased quality of life of the update. Then I lost it and have to use a temp phone without fingerprint sensor and now the app is barely usable. I also have a tablet without fingerprint sensor and I will never update to 1pass 8 until this is resolved.

• Hi @andrey123, thanks for sharing your feedback.

1Password 8 is a new app built from the ground up. As most Android devices running Android 9 or newer include a fingerprint scanner, we opted to focus on that as a quick unlock option. As you and other's have mentioned, there are scenarios in which a second option, such as PIN unlock would be useful and I can certainly see the benefit. I've gone ahead and shared your thoughts with the team. Thanks again!

• dvmierlo
    dvmierlo
    Community Member

Let’s first focus on the really important functionality for a password manager instead of a nice looking UI when rebuilding it from scratch. I will not use 1Password 8 until at least the pincode feature is back.

• Hi @dvmierlo, thanks for your feedback.

I can certainly understand why a PIN unlock option is vital for some users. I've gone ahead and shared your thoughts with the team. My apologies for any inconvinience.

• dvmierlo
    dvmierlo
    Community Member

@ag_timothy Thank you for your feedback. I hope this feature will be released in the next version. the sooner the better. It is a very important security feature.

• acouzelis
    acouzelis
    Community Member

Please add me to the voices of wanting the PIN code back. I'm on an iPhone 12 mini and it doesn't have a fingerprint option, and there's NO way I'm turning on face recognition, so now I'm stuck trying to type an excessively long password into a tiny phone keyboard every time. This makes 1Password essentially useless to me. Why would you take away this fundamentally critical feature?

• Thanks for your feedback @acouzelis. I've shared your interest with the team.

With most mobile devices now having a biometric unlock option and that being the unlock preference for most users, we did not add a PIN unlock option to the 1Password 8 mobile apps. Based on the excellent feedback we've received we are exploring additional unlock options that may be added in the future. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

• acouzelis
    acouzelis
    Community Member

Unfortunately many IT admins and cybersecurity professionals aren't comfortable with that level of personal data being stored yet. I'm the CIO of a biotech company, and just speaking anecdotally, my entire division does not use biometrics to unlock their phones. So, there's 100+ profesional tech users who are currently frustrated with 1Password mobile. We love the app, but are discussing switching to another password manager because of this lack of PIN feature. Just passing it along for your discussions. Hopefully you all can come up with a good mitigation approach in the near future. Thank you for your reply (and not being a bot...or a very good bot if you are!).

• Hi @acouzelis thanks for your reply. I can definitely understand your hesitance in regards to how and where your personal biometric data is stored.

On that note, I wanted to share some good news. Per our January 30th blog post (linked below), I can confirm that we will be bringing PIN unlock to the mobile apps. We don't have a specific date as to when that will make it into an update but it is on the horizon!

(Also, I promise I'm not a bot 😁)

• psiclopz
    psiclopz
    Community Member

Thanks for the update ag_timothy, that is welcome news. If you would be so kind as to post in this thread once that update is released, I will install 1Password8 again and give it a shot.

• acouzelis
    acouzelis
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_timothy! Good bot. Best bot ever!!! 😁

Seriously - I'll share this update with my department and they'll be so happy.

• metatron320
    metatron320
    Community Member

This is wonderful news. I recently convinced my wife to update her 1Password app so we could get use the family plan and share vaults, and also because I thought it would be a good idea to have the latest version. She upgraded to 1Password 8, deleted 1Password 7...and it was only then we realized she couldn't use her PIN to unlock the app anymore. She is morally opposed to using biometrics to unlock her devices, so using a PIN is her first and only preference. If not for this blog post stating the PIN update is coming, a divorce may have been in my future. So thanks for saving my marriage!

• Thanks for the feedback all!

A release went out today with some great new features such as search from item lists and one tap copy. I just wanted to share that PIN unlock did not make it in this release but it shouldn't be too much longer. Thanks in advance for your patience!

• metatron320
    metatron320
    Community Member

Are there any updates on this? It seems like this feature has been been a 1-2 weeks away for months now. It would be great if I could show my wife the PIN feature is back for our anniversary! My marriage hangs in the balance! Thanks!

• Hi @metatron320, I'm sorry to say I don't have a timeline on PIN unlock. Compared to the other features detailed on our blog post, PIN unlock was a bigger lift and requires input from a lot of different teams here at 1Password.

I'll be sure to let the teams know that marital bliss may be jeopardized by any delays. Hopefully that will get everyone into gear 😄.

• nobiometrics
    nobiometrics
    Community Member

Any update on this? Many corporate policies disallow only using biometrics as a security factor (too risky for exploitation and misuse.) Having a PIN as a required factor for authentication is a key to getting a tool like 1password allowed for use. 1password8's security regression is unfortunate and this regression is a blocker.

• Hi @nobiometrics, thanks for following up with us.

I can confirm PIN unlock with 1Password for Android is still on the roadmap but I do not have any specifics to share as to when it will be added to release channels. My apologies for any inconvinience this has caused. With any luck, we won't have too much longer to wait!

• dmarcher
    dmarcher
    Community Member

2 months later, can we have an update and add another frustrated user to the list? fingerprint sensor on Pixel 7 doesn't work well (for me anyways) so this is another upgrade feels like a downgrade.

• Hi @dmarcher, thanks for your feedback and patience while waiting for this feature.

I'm happy to say that as of today, a device unlock setting is included with the 1Password for Android beta which includes the option for PIN unlock.

Before updating I'd like to note that we've found a regression which causes Biometric unlock to be reset when updating to beta 8.10.9-29. So, keep in mind if you're using Biometric unlock your password will be required after the update.

If you'd like to join the beta to try out this feature, you can find steps to do so in our guide: Use 1Password beta releases.

Let us know if you have any questions of if there's anything we can help with.

• Hello everyone!

As of version 8.10.9, you can now use your device passcode, PIN, or pattern to unlock 1Password on your Android device: Use your device passcode, PIN, or pattern to unlock 1Password

Thank you for all of your feedback and requests for this feature. 💙

If you run into any trouble when unlocking 1Password, or have any feedback about the new feature, then please start a new thread and the team will be there to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.