iPadOS 16.1 Watchtower crash [Fixed. Please see the approved answer for details.]

Comments

• TomStretches
    TomStretches
    Community Member

I'm running iPadOS 16.1 and just today upgraded to 1Password 8 on my iPad. It seemed to be working fine, but then stared crashing, maybe after I opened WatchTower. At first I could reopen 1Password and it would run for a while before crashing, but now it's crashing immediately upon launch. So I'm not sure I can send you any helpful diagnostics. But I'm open to any suggestions for workarounds. I had not deleted 1Password 7 from my iPad, so I can at least run that.

• TomStretches
    TomStretches
    Community Member

So I followed the instructions given to users above to send a diagnostic report. It took a few tries to get it right doing it from an iPad, but it seemed to work now and I got a reply back with a Support ID.

[#NHM-51732-321]

Good luck solving this!

• Craig1P
    Craig1P
    Community Member

I finally managed to send a diagnostic to support MRV-23383-559, I could only do this if I didn't login to 1Password, if I login again it crashes, I guess I will have to wait a while and try again before I can use 1Password on iPad.

• Thank you both for sending in diagnostics reports. 🙂

@TomStretches I see that one of my colleagues has already replied to you.

@Craig1P my colleagues will review the diagnostics report that you sent in and will reply to you as soon as possible.

-Dave

ref: NHM-51732-321
    ref: MRV-23383-559

• TomStretches
    TomStretches
    Community Member

I'm happy to help get this figured out. Your team has been great replying to me very quickly with helpful information!

• coffeeking
    coffeeking
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Crashing on my iPad Air 4th Gen, IOS 16.1 as well after latest App Store update.

Update: Appears to be related to this https://1password.community/discussion/134761/ipados-16-1-watchtower-crash/p2

As I was in watchtower when it started to crash

• abg94022
    abg94022
    Community Member

EWX-22572-729 created for the same issue of Watchtower crashing 1Password 8 on iPadOS 16.1

• kevinosinski
    kevinosinski
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Same for me, as soon as I opened “Show ignored alerts” in Watchtower, app crashed and continues to crash with each authentication. Not seen on iPhone.

As someone else commented, I can get back into app if I wait for a while.

• edwardsson
    edwardsson
    Community Member

Same problems with multiple crashes while trying to open the 1pW8 on my iPad (latest iPadOS). Need a fix asap. Have filed a crash report together with a diagnostic report.

• Thank you everyone for sending in the diagnostics reports. Our developers are investigating and we hope to include a fix in a future update to 1Password. At the moment, we don't have an estimate of when this will be, but would recommend you keep 1Password up to date:

I'm sorry again for the inconvenience that the issue is causing.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18214

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member

@Dave_1P “hope” to have a fix? It’s non-functioning feature that 100% crashes app every time and you only hope there will be a fix?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

It's just an expression. 1Password is clearly aware of it, and I'm sure they'll get a resolution soon.

• tsginmd
    tsginmd
    Community Member

I’m having a problem with crashes on my iPad Air any time I try to go to Watchtower detail pages. Subsequently reopening 1Password immediately crashes after Touch ID. Rebooting does not help. Reinstall regains access to account, but problem recurs if Watchtower subpage is accessed. Here are some installation specifics for reference. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• rothaar
    rothaar
    Community Member

I have the exact same problem. I just upgraded to 1P8 because I finally thought I was ready, and now this. I guess I’m glad it seems to be a recent change and my timing just sucks?

I am on an M1 iPad Pro with iPadOS 16.1.1, also 1P 8.9.7.

Cheers

• Hello @tsginmd and @rothaar! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password is crashing on your iPads when you access Watchtower. Our developers are investigating and we aim to include a fix in a future update to 1Password. At the moment, we don't have an estimate of when this will be, but would recommend you keep 1Password up to date:

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that the issue is causing.

-Dave

• smwardle
    smwardle
    Community Member

Same problem after trying to open one of the watchtower options. 1Password continues to run and offers passwords for web sites but the app window disappears whenever the app itself is opened. Restarting the device made no difference. Uninstalling and reinstalling fixed the problem but it recurred as soon as I tried to select one of the watchtower options again.

• 3rdman
    3rdman
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

I’m seeing this as well with iPadOS 16.1.1 and 1Password 8.9.7. Just submitted a report to support.

I should say also, I’m not seeing this on iOS 16.1.1 or on macOS 13.

• Danodiumitus
    Danodiumitus
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Just a quick note to report the same crashing issues with 1Password 8 and iPadOS 16.1.1 and I also discovered that when the app crashes (and subsequently will crash each time you try to run the app again), it is still in fact running (swipe up, etc. to view running apps)! You can then go back in when you select the 1Password 8 app. ** Update: After selecting the app (see comment) it seems as though it will not crash from this point on. So if you close and then open the app it no longer crashes.

• @smwardle, @3rdman, and @Danodiumitus

Thank you for reporting the issue. Our developers are aware and I've added your reports to the internal work item that we've opened for the bug. We plan to release a fix in a future update to 1Password 8.

In the meantime, if the app can't open at all, you can still access your items from your iPad using 1Password.com

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

• Ijustinj3
    Ijustinj3
    Community Member

Seemingly without reason 1PW 8 has started crashing on my iPad. Same result whether I use FaceID or master pw. Safari extension initially would load but now it does though 1PW app crashes.

IPadOS 16.1.1 (1PW was running fine since this update came out)
    1PW 8 (unsure of exact #) and Safari extension
    Have tried restarting iPad
    Cannot pull 1PW diagnostics because app won’t start. Crashes immediately upon using FaceID or entering master pw.

1Password Version: 8.?
    Extension Version: ?
    OS Version: IPadOS 16.1.1
    Browser:_ Safari

• Ijustinj3
    Ijustinj3
    Community Member

Consider the matter closed. Dunno what happened but after several more attempts 1PW decided to start. 🤷🏻

• sonicdeviant
    sonicdeviant
    Community Member

For those experiencing the crash with Watchtower (like me) and you can’t reopen the app (like me): Clear the iPad RAM to avoid having to restart. https://osxdaily.com/2020/09/27/how-to-clear-ram-memory-on-iphone-ipad/

• HDAI
    HDAI
    Community Member

Same here

• IR69
    IR69
    Community Member

Me too.

I clicked on Watchtower then Show Ignored Alerts and 1P8 app crashed. Since then I have not been able to open the app even after restarting my iPad. I was able, however, to use 1P Safari extension to sign into a website.

• IR69
    IR69
    Community Member

I finally got 1P working again by long pressing on the apps icon and selecting Settings. I think this forced 1P to not open the last screen, Watchtower Ignored Alerts, which was obviously causing 1P to crash.

• egg
    egg
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

EDIT: I see this has already been reported here.

My 1Password 8 iPad app is consistently crashing after pressing Watchtower, then pressing any of the “Show Items” links. Once it has crashed, it will crash again after trying to log in using Touch ID or the password. I’m unable to log into it again until I delete and reinstall the app, or if I log in while the app is in Split View. Split View also prevents the initial Watchtower crash.

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iPadOS 16.1.1
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• egg
    egg
    Community Member

I’m noticing the same issue. Interestingly, the issue resolves itself when I use the app in Split View. In full screen I was not able to log in at all, but once I moved to Split View, I could log in and use the Watchtower. On an iPad Air 4, 16.1.1.

• kathor
    kathor
    Community Member

Watchtower in 1Password 8.9.7 on iPadOS 16.1.1 makes the app crash.

Behaviour:
    1. Opening the app on my iPad i go to Watchtower
    2. The first page of Watchtower opens fine.
    3. But, when I click into any of the different categories on the Watchtower page. E.g. “Expiring”. The 1Password app crashes (i.e. the ipad closes the app).
    4. If I then try to reopen 1Password it immediately crashes again. (Perhaps because it tries to load me directly back into the part of the app that made it crash in the first place?)
    5. Closing the app fully does not help.
    6. Rebooting the iPad does not help.
    7. Only solution I found was to delete the app from the device and re-install it from the app store.
    8. After the fresh install, I am able to open the app and i use it as normal.
    9. But, if I again try to use the Watchtower functionality the app crashes again and we are back to point 4 above.

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iPadOS 16.1.1
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• audiomixer
    audiomixer
    Community Member

Just updated from 7 to 8 on my ipad pro. Holy cow what a big mistake. I find 7 so much easier to use. All this i can get used to but this watchtower crashing as i read going on since october and still no fix? No way to downgrade?

This discussion has been closed.