Sync it all, except my financial accounts

faillar
faillar
Community Member
edited November 2022 in Mac

I've been a 1Password7 stand-alone user for a long time, and v5 standalone user before that. I can't get comfortable putting my financial account information in the cloud (anyone's cloud), encrypted or not. That said, I want to enjoy the benefits of 1Password for all my other accounts on all my devices. I suppose I could have two password managers; but, I'd like to stay with just one. I'm happy to upgrade to V8 if I can be assured that I can opt out of syncing the vault with my financial accounts in it. Can I have my cake and eat it too?

_1Password Version: 1Password7 Standalone
_Extension Version: Version 7.9.6 (70906003)
_OS Version: OSX 10.15.7
Browser: FireFox 107.0

Comments

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member

I don't share my financial account passwords with anyone, but I do share them with 1P 8. I am convinced they are safe, and that Agilebits' staff, even their IT staff, cannot access them.

• faillar
    faillar
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

I appreciate the vote of confidence VT1P. I've been doing cybersecurity for over 20 years. I get paid to be suspicious when I have nothing to be suspicious about - Wilford Brimley Playing William Devasher in The Firm. My question stands, please.

• Hello @faillar! 👋

1Password 8 does not support older standalone vaults. You can read some of our founder Dave's thoughts on our decision here: The future of local/standalone vaults — 1Password Support Community

Can you tell me a little more about your concerns regarding using 1Password to store your financial information? In transit, we use the same encryption that your financial institution uses to transit your information to/from their cloud (SSL/TLS) and then we go above and beyond that to end-to-end encrypt your data using your account password and Secret Key so that no one, not even us, can ever see your data. Without both your account password and Secret Key it's impossible for anyone to ever open your vault and get to your information.

You can read more about the security of 1Password here: About the 1Password security model

-Dave

• faillar
    faillar
    Community Member

Dave, thanks for the response. I can see by the link you posted (very useful) that this dead horse has been thoroughly beaten. No need for me to pile on.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@faillar we're happy to clarify things and help! If you have any further questions about this, please don't hesitate to reach back out.

This discussion has been closed.