Delete/change the 'avatar'?

I was auto-upgraded to v2.4.1 yesterday. I only noticed because it introduces an irritating little cartoon image by way of, presumably, an avatar. Has anyone found a way of getting rid of (or replacing) this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hi @BrianL51,

Would this little cartoon image be appearing when you click the 1Password for your browser icon, above the Open 1Password button? If so, this is likely your profile image that is appearing. This can be changed via 1Password.com by following the steps below:

1. Sign into your 1Password account at 1Password.com
    2. Click your name in the top right, then click My Profile
    3. Click Edit details > click the down arrow that appears beside the profile icon, then choose the profile icon you'd like to appear instead of the little cartoon
    4. Click Save

If this doesn't change the profile that is appearing in 1Password for your browser v2.4.1, please let us know.

Thanks

-- Brendan

• BrianL51
    BrianL51
    Community Member

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, it is the icon I see when I launch the 1Password extension in my browser. I already figured that it must be a stand-in for my profile image. However, when I go to my 1Password account, the little icon doesn't show there. The down arrow by my name simply lists My Profile: Get the Apps: Import: Help&Support: Signout as the only options. "Edit Details" on my profile page simply allows me to rename myself. To be clear, the icon only appears when I click the browser extension. It doesn't feature on my account page.

Why have the icon anyway? I know who I am and what I look like, so I don't need it. No-one else should be looking at my account page. As far as I can see, no-one in the community uses their full real name, so why give the game away by uploading a photo?

This is obviously taking up much more time than it's worth. I should have just ignored the silly icon in the first place.

Thanks,

Brian

• ChrisC1P
    edited November 2022

@BrianL51

I'm sorry for any confusion there may have been with which arrows to click in order to change your profile picture.

Can you try making some adjustments to the steps and let me know if they work for you:

1. After signing in to 1Password.com, click the downward arrow next to your name in the top right-hand corner and click My Profile.
    2. On the page titled "My Profile" click "Edit Details" under your name in the top left-hand corner. A text field will appear where you can edit your name and a downward arrow will appear next to your picture that is on top of the field.
    3. Click the downward arrow and you will be offered a selection of existing pictures. You can also add a new one by clicking the "+" icon inside of a square and uploading one from your device.
    4. Click "Save" and your profile picture will be updated.

As for the use of the photo, it can be helpful for quickly differentiating between multiple 1Password accounts you might have.

I understand that not everyone wants a profile picture and it would be great if it were optional and we have an internal feature request to have this change implemented in future releases. Although I cannot confirm if or when it will be implemented, I will gladly submit a vote on your behalf to increase the visibility for our product team.

I hope that info was helpful. Let me know if you have any questions or if those steps didn't work for you.

ref: IDEA-I-2160

• BrianL51
    BrianL51
    Community Member

Thanks for taking the trouble to spell that out for me. It kind of worked. I say "kind of" because although I'm now represented within my 1Password account by a pair of keys (the most appropriate icon on offer), that does not seem to carry through to the Chrome browser extension. Whenever I need to unlock or use that, the dialogue is accompanied by the same irritating selfie from Bill Gates's kindergarten yearbook. Please don't spend too much more time on this, as I already wish I hadn't started down this road and I have no desire to waste your time. I'm pleased to say that the application is working just fine. One thing that I'm really pleased about, and which I hadn't noticed straight away is that there's now an option to show passwords as you type them. I'd asked for this soon after starting with 1Password, seemingly to no avail. It's really great if you're putting in a long password in poor light, or a bouncing vehicle, especially if you're using a touchpad!

• @BrianL51

I'm glad to hear that you were able to change your profile picture. However, you mentioned that your updated profile picture is not being represented in the Chrome browser extension. I have a quick suggestion that might solve the issue.

Can you restart Chrome and see if the updated profile picture is showing?

While I appreciate your concern and value for my time, it is my pleasure to make sure you have 1Password working in a way that is optimal for you. Your feedback is important to us as it lets us know what our users are experiencing and helps us to improve 1Password for everyone.

I hope my suggestion worked for you and would be happy to look into this more if it didn't.

• paroparo
    paroparo
    Community Member

Hey 1password team!

Yesterday I changed my initials avatar to one of the default icons and now I am trying to rollback to my initials again and I cant seem to figure how to do it.

I can change to another icon or upload a custom one.... but what I would like to do is to show my initials again (in short, remove the selected icon).

Thanks in advanced and congrats on this amazing service!

• Hey @paroparo,

You are right, there is no way to set it back to the default initials, I have the same problem as I changed my own profile picture from my initials to test this 😆.

We have an open feature request to be able to revert to the default initials so I will add your vote to this, in the meantime, if none of the icons suit, you can upload a custom picture by clicking on the +.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

ref: IDEA-I-470

• BrianL51
    BrianL51
    Community Member

@ChrisC1P
    In the meantime, I had to restart my system (for another, entirely unrelated, reason) and that forced a Chrome restart anyway. Bottom line: the avatar on the Chrome extension caught up so now all's well. For the moment I'll resist the temptation to change my avatar on here... the stock icons remind me of the sherbet lozenges I used to get when I was a kid (many decades ago).

I'm not usually a fan of "support by forum" but I have to say that the response I've had on here has been exemplary. I feel confident of getting worthwhile help if I run into any real problems, and I'm now much more likely to resist any temptation from other purveyors of password management apps (all the VPN and Internet security providers seem to want to get in on the act these days).

Many thanks for your help.

• Hi @BrianL51, on behalf of Chris you are most welcome!

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all!

• paroparo
    paroparo
    Community Member

Hi @steph.giles !

Thank you very much for your quick response (and sorry If now you have the same "problem" with your profile icon 😆).

I actually like the icons but the other day one of my colleagues was not able to identify me quickly because I did not have my initials.... so that is when I decided to set them back (and could not do it...).

Obviously, this is quite a minor issue that has zero impact in my user experience, which is great so far.

So, thanks again for your response and for adding my vote to the related feature request.

Have a great week! 😊

• Thanks for your feedback @paroparo, I can totally understand where you are coming from and will forward this on to the team.

I hope you also have an awesome week!

This discussion has been closed.