1Password 8: search keyword to filter results in main window gone

Options
chintanraval
chintanraval
Community Member

Hi, in 1Password 7, I could search and filter the results in the main window. then focus on those results when managing those secrets.
In 1Password 8, searching only shows a floating results pane and allows you to select one and that does not change the results in the main window. It does open that single item, but the filtering is what does not persist.

1Password is a great password generator and keeper but I also use it as a password manager and there are times when I need to manage similar items which I could previously get to via search results filtering. Then I could also take bulk actions on them like tagging etc. but without the search filter, this is impossible now.

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro 21H2
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @chintanraval:

Thanks for your question! If you choose "Show all matching items" from the dropdown, or press Ctrl+Enter, 1Password will show a list of results in line:

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• chintanraval
    chintanraval
    Community Member
    Options

@Jack.P_1P thanks so much.. in all my searches, I probably never bothered looking at the last result and never discovered this feature.. you've made my life so much easier :D

• On behalf of my colleague Jack, you're most welcome @chintanraval! I'm glad the provided information has made things easier for you 😄

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

Ali

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

The question remains why the extra step with a dropdown containing limited results and an additional shortcut for showing all results was introduced at all. It's a major obstacle for people heavily relying on search. This alone makes 1PW8 almost useless for me. It's a showstopper.
    Could someone from the team enlighten me why this change was introduced? Even more important could someone tell me when this change will be reverted or at least configurable with the 1PW7 behavior being default?

• Nat_Benson
    Nat_Benson
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue - we have multiple vaults, often with the same entries of the same type in each. I used to be able to select the vault to search for what I wanted, the search now doesnt enable me to filter it to search only in the relevant vault so I cant find anything - its so frustrating - is there a way to downgrade to the previous version?

• ColinSlater
    ColinSlater
    Community Member
    Options

I Agree with VisWiz and Nat.

This is not a good usability step.

It doesn't really make sense or follow any usability logic to have the search only show one on a single key press and require the user to have to use a key combination to see the whole list.

Searches are very seldom about identifying an individual item and very much more about trying to find all the items that have a search string and choosing the one that you need from the returned list. If I know exactly what I am looking for why search on it?

Whoever was the designer on this has got it 180 degrees wrong.

The second fault with the search is that it returns a list ordered in what appears to be date-last-used order which is particularly and spectacularly bad.

a. You have no option to re-order that list in to alphabetical order
    b. date-last used is of no real use unless I am looking for a single item

For example

I have a lot of entries for administration identities for different companies. All carefully created with common keywords and in alphabetical order so that a search should return them in an easily identifiable list (Company Name) which is what used to happen in v7. Now I have more than a page of items in no alphabetical order and I have to scroll through them carefully to find the identity I need. Wasting time and effort.

You really need to revisit this whole function as soon as possible taking note of the experience of people who actually have to use the product in real life pressure situations

• Good morning all,

I'm sorry for the delayed response and that we don't have any additional news to share. We can understand that some changes to the search functionality has made things more difficult and your feedback is greatly appreciated! We're continuing to investigate but I can't make any promises about when or if the possibility of adding options to make "Show All Matching Items" the default search behavior.

ref: IDEA-I-289

If you would prefer to revert to version 7, first uninstall 1Password 8 for Windows before downloading and reinstalling 1Password 7 for Windows.

• posixuk
    posixuk
    Community Member
    Options

V8 is unusable for me for same reason as the others here, so I have reverted to v7.

• Hello @posixuk,

I'm sorry to hear that you've found 1Password 8 unusable due to it's search functionality and decided to move back to version 7. We appreciate this feedback and I have shared this with the Product team.

ref: IDEA-I-289

This discussion has been closed.