1Password For Safari Extension Makes Safari Launches Sluggish

Options
pappjo
pappjo
Community Member

This is probably due to the age of my laptop - 2013 MacBook Pro. But with 1Password 8 installed and 1Password for Safari extension as well Safari bounces multiple times in the dock with the appearance of the spinning beachball for a couple seconds upon initial launch. I have removed the extension - 1Password for Safari - for now and Safari launches normally. There must be some lag in the communication with the extension going on when the browser is first launched.

Is there any issue in using 1Password 8 without having the extension installed? These days I primarily use my iPad Pro so this isn't something I would frequently encounter but the appearance of the beachball concerns me and I'd rather not create unnecessary issues. Also are there any issues between devices - iOS devices with 7.9.6 as well as another macOS device running 1Password 7.9.5?

1Password Version: 8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Big Sur 11.6.6

Comments

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I have found reviews from some with much newer macs mentioning the same issue with the 1Password for Safari extension. Is there a way to resolve this or might an update address this in the future? With the extension installed Safari does not launch for several seconds and the beachball appears before the window opens to my start page. Without the extension installed, I have deleted it for now, Safari launches almost immediately with no beachball and no lag or multi-bounces. I have seen no issues running 1Password 8 without the extension installed, although my initial feeling is that 7 seemed simpler or more intuitive for me. But I will get used to it, however I have not touched my wife’s computer as she would complain especially if the extension were also installed. I prefer to minimize complaints and problems for now. She uses her laptop much more frequently than I do, I primarily use my iPad Pro.

• FHUser
    FHUser
    Community Member
    Options

On my Mac 1Password has all but killed Safari with Ventura. I have to constantly close and reopen Safari for it to open a website. No problem at all with Safari if I quit 1Password. With 1Password open, it's about impossible to use Safari and is very frustrating. Therefore, I've switched to Chrome and there is no problem whatsoever. 1Password needs to get with Apple and come up with a solution. I would prefer to use Safari, but I just can't. 1Password used to be very, very good on a Mac. Now I have to pay quite a bit and it works poorly.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FHUser, sorry about the troubles you're seeing with 1Password in Safari. I have some questions:

• Does the issue occur every time you open and unlock 1Password in Safari?
    • If not, does it only occur on specific websites or after certain actions, such as using a keyboard shortcut to invoke 1Password?
    • If you open Activity Monitor, do you see that Safari and/or 1Password are taking up a lot of resources?

Additionally, I'd like you to reproduce the problem and then send over the following so we can take a closer look at what may be going on:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.