website icons in search results -- bug?

gbrandel
gbrandel
Community Member

1password version 8.9.8.
Tested/present on both Windows 10 and macOS 12.6.1.

Under Settings | Privacy I have the "Show app and website icons" option disabled (not selected).

When I use the search function, the resulting list of items shows website icons. Is that supposed to happen? If the option is off/disabled, I would expect that feature to be disabled everywhere in the client. The website icons do not show up anywhere else in the client except for the items in the search results list.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @gbrandel,

Thanks for reporting this behaviour. This is not normal and website icons should be not be appearing in the search window when the "Show app and website icons" option is disabled. While I have no additional news to share, we've seen a few other reports of this and I've included your details in the issue the development team is tracking. If you have any other questions, please let us know!

ref: dev/core/core#18541

• gbrandel
    gbrandel
    Community Member

Just updated to 8.9.13 and was disappointed to see that this issue persists.

Are there any updates or a fix ETA for this bug?

Seems like the bug pre-dates my comment from November and continues to be reported by other users.

https://1password.community/discussion/136415/unchecked-show-icons-but-still-seeing-them-is-this-a-problem

I noticed that a similar bug in the Quick Access search results was fixed almost immediately upon being reported.

https://1password.community/discussion/128972/show-app-and-websites-icons-bug

Granted, the Quick Access issue wasn't exactly the same issue. I also don't recall if the drop-down list of search results from the in-app search bar was correctly enforcing the show icons setting or not. (The drop-down list of search results for the in-app search bar does seem to be correctly enforcing the show icons setting as of this update request/note.) I only noticed the problem when I would select "Show all matching items" to persist the results of the query. The list of search results created by selecting "show all matching items" continues to be a problem -- the resulting list of items is not correctly enforcing the show icons setting.

Is there a problem reproducing the issue on the 1Password side? Or, has this issue just been deprioritized for some reason?

This isn't a purely cosmetic issue. According to 1Password's own documentation page for this feature, there is a risk of information leakage with this feature enabled. Granted, it is a relatively minor risk but a risk nonetheless. Software bugs happen. But I also think it is fair to hold password management applications to a higher standard for quality given the information that they are entrusted to manage.

Thank you in advance for any updates.

• Hello again @gbrandel,

Thanks for message and follow up regarding this bug with the website icons appearing when disabled, after Showing all matching items (Ctrl + Enter).

I can confirm that we've had no issues reproducing this and the issue is still open with the team. Unfortunately have no updates to share with regard to a fix. We understand your concerns and I have passed this latest feedback to the Development team.

For the time being, I recommend watching our 1Password Releases page for the latest fixes and updates.

We appreciate your continued patience.

• seriousstuff
    seriousstuff
    Community Member

Just came across this myself on Windows and was really surprised as I had carefully turned the setting off across all instances of 1Password I have installed due to privacy concerns. Good to hear it is being worked on but any updates much appreciated.

• Hi @seriousstuff,

Thanks for your added report. I've let the development team know that you are also experiencing this behaviour. The 1Password Releases page will be updated when we have news to share about this fix reaching Beta and ultimately, Production channels.

We appreciate your patience. Let know if we can be of further assistance.

• @gbrandel and @seriousstuff

The issue that affected when rich icons would be displayed in the 1Password app has now been resolved as of the latest update.

Please update to version 8.10.24 or later: How to keep 1Password up to date

Thank you again for your patience and your reports. If you still see the issue after updating and restarting 1Password then please let me know.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18541

• seriousstuff
    seriousstuff
    Community Member

Excellent. Thanks!

• Thank you again for your patience while our team worked to resolve the issue. 🙂

-Dave