Request: Keep more App settings in 1P's Dropbox folder

I am not entirely familiar with Apple's newish Sandbox approach, but I wonder if, in a future update, you are able to include application settings in Dropbox as well? It would make migrating to another computer even that much easier/faster.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I know this has come up before, and it certainly could be a good idea. I think the reason we have not done this up to this point is that many folks prefer to have different settings for different machines, and syncing the settings across all machines doesn't allow enough flexibility. Just as an example, someone might want to have very relaxed auto-lock settings on the desktop in their own home, but more restrictive auto-lock settings on their laptop since they use it when traveling.

The current setup allows you to have the same settings on all machines if you desire but does not require it. If the settings synced it would not allow folks to have separate settings on each machine.

It may be a decision we revisit in the future, but it seems to be working well for now. What do you think in light of the above?
  • Paco II
    Paco II
    Community Member
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Can you clarify that? How do I get the same settings on all machine? [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What it comes down to for me, is that 1Password allows for a lot of visual customization: what columns are shown, how wide the columns are, the sort ordering of columns, is the menubar helper shown or not, etc. I really want a way to have those settings easily sync between my machines. Are you saying that your research indicates that people that run 1P on multiple Macs want different settings? That surprises me.[/font]

"[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The current setup allows you to have the same settings on all machines if you desire but does not require it."[/font]
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Are you saying that your research indicates that people that run 1P on multiple Macs want different settings?

Absolutely. The example I mentioned above of the auto-lock settings is only one instance where this makes sense. You also mention some visual settings. Many people have Macs with displays of varying sizes. It wouldn't make sense to have the same window size, screen position, column width, etc. on a 27" iMac and a 13" MacBook.

How do I get the same settings on all machine?

You'll need to manually set them on each machine. There is not a way to keep them in sync automatically. My point was simply that such an option remains available to you with the current state of affairs. If settings were synced across all machines, users with different needs on machines of various display size and portability would have no solution.
This discussion has been closed.