To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Switching password managers - question

Darcorn
Darcorn
Community Member

Hey everyone!

I am thinking of switching from Lastpass to 1password. The only thing that stops me from doing it are the 2FA tokens stored in Lastpass Authenticator. As far as I know it's impossible to export the codes from it. Will I have to temporarily disable every 2FA token and re-enable it on 1password or is there another way?

Thank you in advance

1Password Version: 8.9.7
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: Windows 11 22H2
Browser:_ Mozilla Firefox

Comments

• Hey @Darcorn

Hey everyone!

I am thinking of switching from Lastpass to 1password. The only thing that stops me from doing it are the 2FA tokens stored in Lastpass Authenticator. As far as I know it's impossible to export the codes from it. Will I have to temporarily disable every 2FA token and re-enable it on 1password or is there another way?

Thank you in advance

I hope all is well!

I did some digging, and it does not appear that you can export things from LastPass Authenticator. In this case, you need to disable 2FA for all accounts attached to LastPass Authenticator and migrate them to 1Password.

If you have not already seen this guide, this is very helpful for learning more about 1Password's authenticator abilities: https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

Let me know if you have any other questions and Happy Holidays! :)

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Hey Joshua!

Thank you very much for answering my question and Happy Holidays right back at you! :)

• Hi @Darcorn on behalf of Joshua, you're very welcome. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need us. So glad you're joining us! -- Catherine πŸ™‚

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Thanks for the warm welcome @Catherine_F1P ! I was also thinking of using two managers. One for 'normal accounts' and the second for 2FA but I don't know if that's a viable option :)

• Hi @Darcorn We'd recommend sticking with one. We've a handy guide here which may help you import your data over. On a side note - have you ever used 1Password previously, as a standalone license user?

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Nope. I've always used Lastpass because it has cloud backup for 2FA tokens.

• @Darcorn Don't hesitate to reach out if you should have any further questions. Or you can write in to us at support@1password.com πŸ™‚

• Darcorn
    Darcorn
    Community Member

Thank you very much :)

• You're very welcome, @Darcorn - have a great day πŸ’™

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Hi @Darcorn !

I don't know LastPass Authenticator. But is it possible there to get the complete link or the secret. It looks like this.

Link:
    otpauth://totp/Sony%3Amaxmusterman%40icloud.com?secret=IVMLNXD2KGHRMLKSIJM3KQ&issuer=Sony

Secret:
    5ABCNYG56FPABCQW

If that's the case, you could create new logins in 1Password and copy the TOTP links or secrets into the 2fa field of each entry.

Hope this works for you.

• @DenalB

Thank you for the tip! πŸ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.