Feature request (again): Hidden notes type

kevin_dean
kevin_dean
Community Member

All discussions of this that I can find are closed, but I would like to add my two cents' to the discussion around hidden notes.

A lot of services, like 1Password, have a recovery key. It's easy enough to store this in a password field, but I recently came across a service whose process is to present you with a grid that you're expected to save and, when you need to recover the account or login to a new device, asks you to input three of the codes from the grid. It tells you which ones, e.g., first row, third code; third row, fourth code, fourth row, second code.

I'm fine without HTML support (definitely a step too far) but line breaks are necessary, which means that a notes field is the only option. Please add the ability to obscure notes.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: macOS 12.5
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:hidden notes

Comments

• Hi @kevin_dean:

I've added your thoughts to an internal discussion we have on this. While I can't promise anything, we use feedback like yours to help inform the future of 1Password. Thanks for sharing!

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-302

• peacjen
    peacjen
    Community Member

I would love this feature as well. Another use case is recovery codes. It is much easier to paste the list of 10+ recovery codes into a notes field (that can be hidden) instead of trying to do each individual one in a password field

• timdmackey
    timdmackey
    Community Member

I was going to make a post about this, but found this thread here so I'm going to add my vote for this! I'll also link this request for the same feature from 2013 πŸ˜‰.

My use case is the same as mentioned above, I want a way to store 2FA recovery codes in a single field while having the field obscured like a password field. The essential missing element is the ability to have line breaks in an obscured field. As an example of why this is so essential, I was in a public library the other day with many people around, and needed to edit some 1Password information for an account that has 2FA authentication enabled. Because my recovery codes for this account are not obscured, anyone behind me could have stolen one of my recovery codes.

Perhaps the simple way to accomplish this feature is just to allow any field type to be optionally obscured!

• @peacjen and @timdmackey

Thank you for the feedback and the details about your use cases. I've added your votes to the feature request tracking item as well. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• rocinante
    rocinante
    Community Member

I would also like to have this feature. Some of my sensitive information is best stored in 1Password as a note. ALSO - found out the hard way - notes use markup to control the formatting. If your note happens to contain a complex password and that password has symbols, the end result is an incorrect password when you try to copy and paste it into something.

• inetbas
    inetbas
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Yes, I have some notes that I want to keep hidden or can only revealed after extra authentication.
    For example I store some specific customer information with the login procedure in 1Password. But I want an extra layer of security like secondary password or extra pincode to get to that info.

Second use case is some additional banking info I like to hide and only open when absolutely needed as kind of last resort.

Hence 1password is my security vault. But I have some info that like to have an extra layer of security and not directly visible on the screen in case of Eye-dropping or so.

• @rocinante and @inetbas

Thank you for the feedback. I've passed it along to the team. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• inetbas
    inetbas
    Community Member

@Dave_1P. Great. Hopefully such functionality shows up in one of the next releases. I believe myself and others find this feature very key both in Corporate as Personal environments. Also hopefully it shows up in the very near future and not that it only appears after many many years (like some green/black colored music streaming company. Promise. promise but not delivering)

• @inetbas

I'm not personally in a position to promise anything but I can confirm that your feedback has been forwarded to the product team to consider for future versions. πŸ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.