Comments

• xazac
    xazac
    Community Member

@Dave_1P [#QDL-43261-962]

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member

1P in Safari has been working well for me on both iPhone and iPad since the 16.1/8.9.7 updates. Then suddenly it stopped working again on iPhone (iPad unaffected) — no biometric option to unlock and Reauthorize After setting not respected, so had to enter master password for every attempted use. The iOS 16.1.1 update did not immediately resolve it. I followed the troubleshooting advice from @Dave_1P (above), however due to my settings the steps were slightly different. This restored full extension unlocking functionality 👍

My steps were:
    1. Restart your iOS device.
    2. Open the main 1Password app using your account password FaceID as Require password is set to Never.
    3. Switch to another app.
    4. Switch back to 1Password. Are you able to unlock the app using Face ID/Touch ID? No biometrics or password required as Auto-Lock on Exit timer had not passed/expired.
    5. Manually locked the main 1Password app.
    6. Immediately entered master password to unlock app.
    7. If the answer to question 4 is yes, open Safari and try to fill a login using 1Password extension.

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

iPhone v 16.1.1
    1Password v 8.9.7

Yet again, 1PW can't FaceID unlock in Safari and if you unlock in Safari the keep unlocked setting is not working. If the app gets killed, it's back to entering my password manually again.

What happened?!?

UPDATE: installing 1PW v7 yet again fixes the Safari extension.

I'm losing all faith.

Troubleshooting step taken:

1) Restarted device
    2) Opened 1PW8 - Face ID worked fine
    3) Go to Safari and use 1PW8 extension - ask to manually type password
    4) Switch back to 1PW8 - FaceID still works fine
    5) Kill 1PW8 app - reopen - FaceID still works fine
    6) Go back to Safari, manually enter pw in 1PW8 extension - opens fine
    7) Kill Safari, go back in - prompted to manually enter password in extension.

Meanwhile, with 1PW7
    1) That extension unlocks with FaceID and stays unlocked.

• evtee
    evtee
    Community Member

Just like the others here. It worked for a tiny little bit after the last update. Definitely broken again now...

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

An update, 1PW 7 is not staying unlocked or allowing FaceID in safari. What a joke this app and company have become. VC dollars hard at work.

• zffxvr
    zffxvr
    Community Member

This has stopped working again as of today. Not sure what’s changed, but the extension is not showing an option for Face ID on my iPad.

• jfordthompson
    jfordthompson
    Community Member

This has also broken for me again :(

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

This is broken for me as well. Again. Was it the 16.1.1 update?

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

@Dave_1P Here is my support ticket: #PVJ-15728-831

Quick overview again:

• FaceID works to unlock 1 PW 8 on iPhone
    • FaceID is never offered in the Safari extension
    • The Safari extension requires full password to be entered
    • The Safari extension does not respect any of the Reauthorize after settings. If Safari is force quit, or even after a few minutes the extension will ask for the full password again.
  • netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

So support got back to me and had me delete and reinstall 1PW8 on the phone, saying this fixes it. So far so good after the reinstall. 1PW8 and the Safari extension are unlocking with FaceID and so far staying unlocked.

I have to wonder, if support knows this is a fix, why haven’t they posted it here? Seems it would save a lot of needless tickets for people to be told here to try a reinstall.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2022

Thank you to everyone who sent in a diagnostics report, it helps us to identify and track potential issues for our developers to investigate. If you're already in conversation with the team over email then please continue working with us there. 🙂

@zffxvr

I've sent you an email so that we can dig deeper into what might be going wrong on your device. Let's continue the conversation there.

ref: VQQ-73484-163

@jfordthompson and @evtee

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

ref: dev/core/core#18709

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

Wow…update also stopped working for me starting 11/23. Worked since 16.1 until yesterday.

As paying subscribers…at what point do we start requesting refunds?

• KaPOWitsCHRIS
    KaPOWitsCHRIS
    Community Member

This has broken for me again too. I tried setting the timeout period to 1 week as well and that didn’t work. Reinstalling the app has resorted the functionality for now… I sent diagnostics prior to reinstall.

• glennbtn
    glennbtn
    Community Member

HI All

Since installing the latest iOS version I can't use Face ID when I need to login with Safari when I need to click the little puzzle looking icon in the browser bar. If I launch 1password from the app, Face ID login in straight away but not on Safari. I have checked the settings and can't seem to find anything useful. In the app I do have ReAuthorize set at 2 weeks

Thanks

Glenn

1Password Version: 8.9.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 16.1.1
    Browser:_ Safari

• mariusatkinson
    mariusatkinson
    Community Member

Yes! This! This right here!!!! Fix this!!!!!

• Monkey121
    Monkey121
    Community Member

+1 just updated to iOS 16.1.1 and faceId isn’t a option when in the extension in safari.
    I have tried the suggested step but no luck

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member

I came here for the same issue. I sent in a report according to the instructions and did receive an auto reply but did not contain a code. I have 3 other iOS devices this is happening on, would it be helpful to send more reports or do you have what you need?

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

@Monkey121 @ahankins Have you both tried uninstalling and reinstalling? So far that has worked for me on both devices.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member

Deleting and reinstalling the app didn’t bring back biometrics or fix the timer.

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    edited November 2022

It may not work for everyone, but when the 1P8 Safari extension on my iPad breaks, the following seems to fix it, at least temporarily:

• Fully close all Safari windows/sessions
    • Open the main 1P8 app
    • Manually lock the main 1P8 app
    • Unlock the main 1P8 app with manual entry of master password (not biometrics)
    • Open Safari and biometric/persistent unlocking of the 1P8 extension has returned

I have had to do this twice over the past two weeks on my iPad, but not my iPhone. Both are using the latest production app and OS releases.

• leounblessed
    leounblessed
    Community Member

Same issue on iPadOS 16.1, repeatedly asking for master password in Safari – not in app though. Commenting to stay tuned (I guess?)

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

@leounblessed Have you tried uninstalling 1PW and reinstalling? Since I did that on both my iPad and iPhone 8 days ago, both are working as they should.

• xazac
    xazac
    Community Member

Oh god, the issue is already here. I’m TIRED @1Password.

• jtice1
    jtice1
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue with iPhone SE with touch ID. Every time I need to use a password, every time I open the app, it requires me to enter the master password... and that is super annoying because a) I use a complex pw, and b) because I'm paying for a subscription that's supposed to make pw management easier if not transparent –– but it's a royal PITA. I tried the recommended steps and what I accomplished is that the touch ID request now pops up before it requires my password. I end up having to reenter the pw dozens of time a day!

I do not need this level of security. My phone stays locked and the only way anyone can even get to my apps is with my phone's passcode or my thumbprint, which is to say they cannot. So once I'm in, there is no need to keep authenticating. That's the way 1P used to work was it not? Similar to the Keychain app? Easy. So how do I turn off this useless authentication requirement that no longer works?

• I've added everyone's reports to the work item open for the issue. I'm sorry that you're being prompted for your account password more often than expected when using 1Password for Safari. If possible, please try the workaround suggested by @hegguardo above:

• Fully close all Safari windows/sessions
    • Open the main 1P8 app
    • Manually lock the main 1P8 app
    • Unlock the main 1P8 app with manual entry of master password (not biometrics)
    • Open Safari and biometric/persistent unlocking of the 1P8 extension has returned

@AMonitorDarkly

Our developers are aware of the issue and the internal tracking number is core/-/issues/18709.

@jtice1

If you're being prompted for your account password by the main 1Password app (not just 1Password for Safari) then you're likely affected by a different issue than the one being discussed in this thread. Our developers are working on this issue as well and I've forwarded your report to them.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#15937
    ref: dev/core/core#15937

• rotherad
    rotherad
    Community Member

Just submitted a diagnostic report, after doing that I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app (from TestFlight) and it now works as expected in the extension.

This discussion has been closed.