Error 5 - permission denied

Options
MikeV99
MikeV99
Community Member

Dell Win 10 upgrade to 1PW8 fails. I have updated windows, turned off Malwarebytes, removed read only attribute. This was also an ongoing issue with 1PW 7 but it would finally upgrade.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Error 5 install error

Comments

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

I've got 8 installed on several Apple devices. It won't however install on my Dell win 10 machine. Updated Window, disable Malwarebytes, removed read only in %localappdata%, and still get Error 5 - permission denied. It aborts install, opens 8, and runs. The start icon is not to be found so I cannot stop 1PW or turn machine off. This has been an ongoing issue with !PW7 before. However, the steps I took before would allow an update with 1PW7.

• Ekalb
    Ekalb
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    Try this:
    1. Right click on the installer program of 1PW8.
    2. Choose Run as administrator from the context menu.

• Hi @MikeV99! I'm sorry to hear that you've run into this error when upgrading to 1Password 8, even after disabling Malwarebytes.

I'd like to ask you to email over a zipped copy of the 1Password logs so we can take a closer look:

1. Open the Start Menu, paste the following into the search field, and press Enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    2. Once you've navigated to this location, right-click the Logs folder, click Copy, and paste a copy of that folder onto your desktop.
    3. Right-click the folder on your desktop, click Send To, then Zipped folder.

Attach this file in an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You'll receive an automated response from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

@Ekalb,

Thank you. The wise owl nailed it. Installed without any issues.

Best wishes,

Mike

• Thanks for your reply, @MikeV99.

Running the 1Password installer as administrator has been known to cause issues in the past, but I'm happy to hear the install proceeded after following the comments from @Ekalb.

Should you run into any future issues with updates, you can try excluding the entire 1Password directory and the 1Password.exe in any security software you have running and then rebooting your device. The 1Password directory can be found here - %localappdata%\1Password and the 1Password.exe is here: %localappdata%\1Password\App\8.

We'll be here to help if you run into any other troubles!

This discussion has been closed.