Use the TPM with windows hello greyed out? [1Password 8.6.1 is out with improved TPM support}

2»

Comments

• tmakaro
    tmakaro
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

I will say, I turned this feature back on a couple weeks ago. It appears to be working way better now. Every now and again when I do have to type in my master password (which isn't often; yay!), it will still show me the pin code prompt even though it is unlocked already from the password. However, other than that, it works perfectly now.

• Hi @tmakaro, thank you for letting us know! This is most gratifying news. 🙌

We will of course be here for any further bug reports or anything you'd like to share, and appreciate the feedback you've provided on this feature. Many thanks! 😃

• briankelly
    briankelly
    Community Member

Just wanted to say thanks for the clear explanation. Lots of knowledge being dropped in this thread.

Re-enrolling my PIN enabled the greyed out box for me, too. (Using fTPM on a Ryzen 7 5800X3D)

Note that if you're still seeing the option grayed out after this update, there may be a reason for this. Your current Windows Hello key may still be backed by software, not the TPM, even if you have the TPM enabled.

The reason is that if you've enabled Windows Hello feature long before you enabled TPM in the BIOS or added a TPM chip to your system, Windows does not migrate the Hello key from the software to hardware side. To fix this, try to re-enroll your Windows Hello data by removing the current setup and re-enrolling it; that should be enough to create the new Windows Hello key in the hardware TPM. Which is when 1Password will enable its TPM settings for you.

• Hello @briankelly,

Thanks so much for your message! I'm happy to hear the details provided in this thread helped you out with the Windows Hello TPM option in 1Password 8 for Windows! Have a great day!

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

for the record this has reared its ugly head again. i had it enabled/working all this time and just restarted my pc and voila greyed out again.

• Hello again @klepp0906 - It's great to hear back from you, though I'm sorry to hear that you've run into again with the greyed out TPM option.

I've not seen any other new reports of this and I'm not aware of any changes made that might cause this. Previously, it was mentioned to try to re-enroll the Windows Hello data by removing the current setup and re-adding all of your Windows Hello options, such as face, fingerprint and PIN. Could let us know if this helps?

Looking forward to your reply.

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member
  • ag_mike_d
    edited November 2022

Hi @klepp0906 - I had yet to see that discussion and appreciate you sharing that here for others that might run into these troubles.

Do let us know if you experience any other troubles with Windows Hello.

ref: dev/core/core#18712

Community Member

@ag_mike_d I tried to re-enroll Windows Hello but I still have "Use the Trusted Platform Module with Windows Hello" is greyed out. I'm using Windows 11 22H2 on a surface book 2, latest beta of 1Password

• Hi @0100110,

Thanks for your message. This was fixed in the latest Nightly version of 1Password and has of yet to roll out to the Beta. If you'd like to upgrade to this version you can follow the steps in this guide and set the Release channel to Nightly instead of Beta.

If you'd prefer to immediately revert to the Production channel, you can follow the steps here to:
    1. Uninstall 1Password
    2. Reset the 1Password app on a specific device
    3. Reinstall the 1Password 8 Production version from this link: 1Password 8 for Windows - Download

I hope this helps, but if you need further assistance, just let us know - we'll be here for you.

• EggsAndAvo
    EggsAndAvo
    Community Member

Hi @ag_mike_d,

I am also having this issue and I am on the latest nightly update. Is there anything I can do?

• Hello @EggsAndAvo,

Sorry for the continued troubles with the TPM option being greyed out in that latest Nightly.

First, from Windows Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, could you please try removing and re-enrolling all your Windows Hello options including face, fingerprint and PIN, where applicable.

If this continues to be a problem afterwards - we'd like to learn more and ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• EggsAndAvo
    EggsAndAvo
    Community Member

Hi @ag_mike_d,

That worked, thanks for the help.

• Hello again @EggsAndAvo - you're most welcome! I'm happy to hear this helped. 😀

• EggsAndAvo
    EggsAndAvo
    Community Member

Hi @ag_mike_d,

That worked, thanks for the help.

This discussion has been closed.