QR Code Detection failed error Windows 11

Options
cuestakid
cuestakid
Community Member

I have emailed support but I wanted to post the question here as well.

I am on Windows 11 latest release of 1Password and I keep getting QR Code Detection failed when I click on the scan QR code for various websites. The only workaround I have found is to set it up via the website itself and then hit ignore in 1Password.

Is there another way I can do this more effectively or is this just a current issue? I found this link https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/#set-up-two-factor-authentication-for-a-website but it seems just as clunky (using one time passwords and such) as the method above.

Is there any other method?

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.5.0
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hello @cuestakid,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've encountered with this QR Code Detection failed message, but the workaround you discovered has helped in these situations.

We'd like to learn more this issue. Could let us know where this is happening, the 1Password 8 app, the browser extension, or both? Also, does this happens every time you attempt to scan a 2FA QR code on screen, or only with some of them?

After a few tests with Amazon as an example (both the app and extension), I'm not seeing this issue and would like to test this further if you could provide an example where this fails.

Is there another way I can do this more effectively or is this just a current issue?

For websites that offer a string of characters along with the QR code, you can enter those characters in the one-time password field (instead of scanning the QR code) as mentioned in step 4, here in this guide when using the 1Password apps.

Looking forward to your reply.

• cuestakid
    cuestakid
    Community Member
    Options

I am going to try and use that guide and see if it helps. I am not quite sure how to answer where it is failing as it could be several things. One thing I know for sure is failing is if I go to a site, enroll in 2FA, 1Password does not get updated in that it keeps telling me I need to set it up-I have to keep telling 1Password to ignore. How to get it to recognize automatically I am not 100%.

• cuestakid
    cuestakid
    Community Member
    Options

From some initial testing I think I figured out my problem.

I did not fully understand that 1password can be the 2nd factor authenticator-now I see that it can. While nice, I already have a bunch of apps already set up on a different app on my mobile and I don't mind scanning the QR codes. It is a nice feature but part of me likes to separate the two.

• Hello again @cuestakid,

I'm glad to hear that you've gotten things figured out!

I do appreciate your feedback and understand that you like to use a separate authenticator, but wanted to offer some additional food for thought. If you weren't aware, when using 1Password as the authenticator, 1Password in the browser can help by filling those 2FA codes for you and makes the sign-in process quicker. When setting up 2FA with a new account in the future, give this a try and first and let us know what you think and if it helps to improve your workflow!

If you have any additional questions or concerns, we'll be happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.