To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

An account of issues while preparing / upgrading from v.7 to v.8 using a 1P offer

***PS, please delete if double-posted. Prior post submission seems to have vanished***

This is post that is not really meant as question/feedback only, but more to detail the issues encoured when trying (or rather preparing) moving from 1Pasword 7 to 1Password 8 while taking advantage of an 1P offer. The issues encountered haved been very time-consuming and there is a constant feel of unease that in the future I might realize that some data might be missing. I know other who encountered similar issues, I hope this can contribute to updates in the knowledgebase.

A) Originally/still running 1Password 7 (latest 7.9.6) on macOS

• standalone vault
  • individual license

B) Offer displayed in ther corner left on macOS for a 50% rebate

• Clicking on it required me to create a new password. I wasn’t sure why so I quit the process.
  • {Solution} After contacting support, it seems that I cannot turn my individual license account into a subscription one. A new account must be created. Data must thus be migrated.

… in the meatime:

C) Preparing migration to cloud

• The thinking here is that 1P8 is cloud only so I need to first transfer my standalone vault in 1P v.7 to the cloud before upgrading to 1P v.8
  • I refer to the knowledgebase for migrating data from a standalone vault to the cloud (https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/) - Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account
  • migration completed successfully

D) Creating a new account - see B

• I click on the offer button in the macOS app, create a new account. Both accounts are now visible in the macOS application
  • Turns out there is no way to select the 1Passwords’ ‘.eu’ domain. Clicking the offer mean you were forced on the ‘.com’ domain

E) Migration - not so fast

• Data is now in the cloud of my standalone account (See B), I thought I can now also migrate everything to the subscription account. There is no tool to do so is seems.
  • Contacted support: there is indeed no such tool. One must copy/move data via the macOS app while logged-in in both accounts
  • ‘Not good’ is the first thought: How can one be sure that data has been synced witthout faults i.e. mirrored in its entirety

• I proceed to move data as per the knowledgebase - https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

• Error 1: “The following itmes were not move to the vault’ - {avery long list of items} ‘Items with files can’t be move from an account on one server to another”
  • 20% of my 1Password entries have documents attached.

• Error 2: Archive entries are not being transfered

• Lucky me I tagged ‘to be archived’ entires allowing for (i) restoring, (ii) copying / moving to new vault, (iii) re-archive

F) Miscellaneous

• Export / backup always worked with standalone vaults.
  • Cloud export kept failing: Window remains open for many hours without anything happending. I didn’t investigate this anyfurther.

Questions / Lessons / Feedback

• If you have a standlone vault, make sure that you have a subcription account FIRST before transferring your data via ‘Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account’ - Otherwise you will not have a reliable avenue at your disposal.
  • Why isn’t there a proper sync/migration tool to move data in its entirety between cloud accounts with verifcation protocol / integrity check to see that X entries, X attachements, X filesizes were succesfully transfer?
  • The move/copy tool is not a replacement (think of archived entries and attachements in entries)
  • Why can’t entries with attachements be moved/copied?
  • Why isn’t it possible to change a standalone license account into a subscription one?
  • Will 1Password introduce snapshots for cloud accounts? i.e. to revert/restore to a state in case of mishaps

Thank you for reading this post in its entirety, I hope that this input will be taken into consideration,

1Password Version: 7.9.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.0
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• 1PCommunityUser
    1PCommunityUser
    Community Member

addendum observation:

• Referring to E) (Migration), specifically to Error 1: “The following itmes were not move to the vault’ - ‘Items with files can’t be move from an account on one server to another”
    • -> from all the entries that failed to transfer from account to another because of the file attachements, a handful did transfer but without attachements being taken over. These items were not listed on the report of 1Password printed bellow the message "“The following itmes were not move to the vault’ - only manual verification picked it up
  • 1PCommunityUser
    1PCommunityUser
    Community Member

addendum observation to F):

• Export function on macOS v7.9.6 for data stored in the cloud has never produced a successful backup. Multiple failed attempts with one test run, although not completed according to process window, that produced some backup of what mostly seems the files in attachement all readble/visible i.e. not encrypted or similar. Didn't bother to investigate more and proceeded with upgrade to 1P v8.
    • Export function on macOS v.8.9.8 completed successfully. I do miss the fact that there is no zip-type backup available like on the previous standlone-vault version were one would have an encrypted history of daily backups which one can use as recovery snapshots. That makes the new version of 1P a much less attractive upgrade. Addressing this issued would be welcomed
  • MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@1PCommunityUser

A 1PUX export is a zip archive. See:

https://support.1password.com/1pux-format/

• Hello @1PCommunityUser! 👋

I'm sorry that you ran into issues when migrating to 1Password 8 and a 1Password account. I don't have any access to your account information here on the public forums so I'll respond based on what you included in your post.

First, I wanted to clarify the difference between an older standalone license and a 1Password account. With your older license you had no 1Password account at all, all of your data was saved into a vault that existed only on your device (and was optionally synced using iCloud or some other method). 1Password 8 no longer supports older standalone vaults and instead works with 1Password.com accounts. The reason why you were prompted for a new password is because the app was guiding you through the creation of your new 1Password.com account and needed you to specify an account password for that new account.

I'll reply to your specific questions below:

Why isn’t there a proper sync/migration tool to move data in its entirety between cloud accounts with verifcation protocol / integrity check to see that X entries, X attachements, X filesizes were succesfully transfer?

In the vast majority of cases the migration process should walk you through the creation of a 1Password account, migration of your data from the old standalone vault to the new account, and then the automatic removal of the old standalone vault: Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account

1Password 7 does indeed include an account migrator which should move your items without you having to move them manually. However, if this process doesn't work then you'll indeed have to manually move the items.

We also have a dedicated migration team who can be reached at support@1Password.com to help walk folks through the process.

The move/copy tool is not a replacement (think of archived entries and attachements in entries) Why can’t entries with attachements be moved/copied?

The account migrator maintains attachments when moving your standalone vault data over to your new account as long as you're using 1Password version 7.9.1 or later.

Why isn’t it possible to change a standalone license account into a subscription one?

As mentioned above, there is no such thing as a "standalone license account". When using an older standalone license you don't have an account and all of your data exists only in the standalone vault on your devices. Older standalone vaults also use a much older architecture. When you create an account on 1Password.com (or .EU), and go through the migration process, your data is moved from the old standalone vault to the new 1Password.com account.

Will 1Password introduce snapshots for cloud accounts? i.e. to revert/restore to a state in case of mishaps

We already have this! 😃 If you'd like to restore a previous version of an item then you can use this guide: View and restore previous versions of items

The item history that comes along with 1Password.com (or .EU) accounts means that you no longer need to backup or export your items manually yourself. If anything were to happen to an item on one of your devices you can always restore from your 1Password account.

Regarding the migration from a .COM to a .EU account (which works quite differently from a migration from a standalone vault to an account), it sounds like you're already in conversation with the team over email and I'd love to have them follow up with you to see how things might have gone wrong and how we might be able to improve things going forward. Could you post the Support ID associated with your conversation? The Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678].

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.