Changing Categories - Wrinkle

Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member

in 1P8 I have come across an annoying wrinkle. I do not know if it is me doing something wrong or a problem with the system.

Data: I have log-ins selected and Favorites. My visible log-ins are reduced to my Favorites: exactly what I want.

Next, I select Bank Accounts but Favorites is still selected. My screen is blank because I have no accounts listed as Favorites but I want to see my list of Bank accounts. How do I do that?

I can find no way to "Uncheck" Favorites except to click on "All Items" in the left pane at which point All items show and I have to reselect Bank Accounts to see my Bank Accounts.

Trivial, I know, but annoying nevertheless. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way 1P8 is designed to operate so that the only way to change categories if first to select all items in the left-hand pane so as to cancel Favorites and then select the desired category from All Categories. Finally, if I'm in Logins with Favorites selected and I want to see all my Logins, the only way I can do this is again to select All Items in the Left Pane and then reselect Log-Ins from the list of Categories.

If this is the way 1P is designed then I request a feature to be able to toggle favorites on and off. Otherwise please advise me what I am doing wrong.

1Password Version: 8.9.10 Beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10
Browser:_ Edge (Chrome)

Comments

• Hello @Andrew42,

Thanks for your message.

If I'm understanding correctly, you are trying to view only specific categories of items while you have Favourites selected from the left sidebar.

In order do so, first ensure that any items you'd like to see appear as favourite are marked as such: Add items to Favorites

Then after selecting Favourites from the left side bar, you can click the dropdown menu under the search bar to see the items on a per category basis, as depicted in the below example:

I hope this helps, but if I'm not understanding the use case, please let me know and I'd be happy to assist further!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thanks for responding @ag_mike_d. I must have explained myself poorly.

For example: If I have Login selected under categories and have Favourites selected in the Left Hand pane, I see those records which have been marked as a Favourite. Clear and no problem.

Now I want to see all my login records. How do I do that when, at present only my Favourites are listed? I can find no way to deselect Favourites unless I first click All items in the Left Pane at which point my entire vault is shown and then select the category Login once more whereupon all my login records are then displayed.

To phrase it a different way. Why is Favourites in the Left Hand Pane not a toggle?

• Good morning @Andrew42,

The categories dropdown acts as a filter for what is selected in the left sidebar, favourites in this case.

However, you can add Categories to the left side bar by going to Settings (Ctrl + Comma) > Appearance > Always show in sidebar > Categories. Then you will be able to change the selection from favourites to a specific category which will display all items:

Does this help? Looking for forward to hearing back from you.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_mike_d, I'd forgotten about that setting. That works, of course, but a toggle would be less clutter.

• ag_mike_d
    edited December 2022

Thanks, @Andrew42 - I'll pass this feedback along to the Product team. We appreciate the suggestion!

ref: IDEA-I-2350

This discussion has been closed.