1Password 7 keeps trying to update

Options
pvanwelt1
pvanwelt1
Community Member
edited February 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I am still using 1password7 because the search and filter mechanism of 1password8 does not meet my personal preferences.
I have configured my 1password 7 app to not update automatically. But somehow it tries to update to (i guess 1password8) every time I start the app.
Below two logfiles where you can see it tries to upgrade to 1password8

The logfile on my disk shows the following: (2022-12-09.log)
24116 2022-12-09 06:54:41 0.002s INFO opw_app::app:169 > starting main role C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe v7.9.832 with hidden UI
24116 2022-12-09 06:54:41 0.198s INFO opw_app::managers::update_manager::updater:224 > update C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password\1PasswordSetup-8.9.10.exe deleted

Within the setup directory I found the following log (1PasswordSetup-8.9.10_2022-12-09_07-57-06).

[2022-12-09 07:57:06.795714 +01:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:602: Setup logs path set to : C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup

[2022-12-09 07:57:06.802467 +01:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:516: Starting fresh install to 80910043
[2022-12-09 07:57:12.702240 +01:00] ERROR [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:169: failed to move app files. Error: Io(PermissionDenied)

[2022-12-09 07:57:20.512187 +01:00] INFO [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:374: starting C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password\app\8\1Password.exe
[2022-12-09 07:57:20.513440 +01:00] ERROR [op_windows_starter::installer] op-windows-starter\src\installer.rs:201: Failed to start previous app. Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (os error 3)

1Password Version: 7.9.832
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 21h2 19044.2251
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• spauka
    spauka
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi,

I keep getting prompted to upgrade to 1Password 8, even though I am not able to do so at the moment as I require access to local vaults. I've disabled auto-updates in the settings but I keep getting this prompt every day:

When I press no, I get the following prompt:

After pressing cancel, the prompt pops up again the next day.

How do I stop this from occuring, or alternatively is there any plan to support local vaults in 1Password 8?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• Hello @spauka,

I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've encountered. 1Password 7 is a different product from 1Password 8 and the automatic updates option will allow 1Password 7 to update within it's own version and has no bearing on the message your seeing.

I'm able to reproduce these messages while attempting to install 1Password 8 for Windows when version 7 is installed with active local vaults. Could you confirm that the shortcut you are using is for 1Password 7 itself and not linked to a version 8 installer? If you open 1Password 7 for Windows from the app listing when you press the Windows Key, do you still see these messages?

With regard to your question about support for local vaults in 1Password 8, I wanted to direct to you to this discussion about the future of local/standalone vaults.

Please let us know if you run into further troubles with version 7. Thanks!

• spauka
    spauka
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Mike

The shortcut is correctly linked to 1Password 7 in it's install directory. This is the link from the start menu:
    "C:\Users\\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe"

I'm not sure why the 1Password 8 installer would be getting run, the messages seem to pop up at random times throughout the day. I can open and use 1password normally, I haven't seen any correlation with when the message appears.

For reference the version is 7.9.832

Thanks for the message re. local vaults. I've filled out the survey and would be very happy with a local hosting option :)

• Hello again @spauka,

I'm sorry for the delay and appreciate you getting back to me with these details about the 1Password 7 shortcut path. This looks correct and it is certainly odd that these messages are continuing to pop up. Are you able to confirm if this messaging happens while signing in or using 1Password 7 only, or is it completely random and happening at time while not using 1Password at all? Thanks!

• spauka
    spauka
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Mike,

I'm noticing the messages mostly when I return to my PC after I've been away. It doesn't necessarily seem to be a morning thing - sometimes I notice it after lunch or in the evening.

• ag_mike_d
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hello @pvanwelt1,

Thanks for your message and sending those logs. I've merged your discussion with that of @spauka, as you seem to be encountering a similar issue with 1Password attempting to update to version 8.

As mentioned previously, the automatic updates option will allow 1Password 7 to update within it's own version, but has no bearing on automatic updates to 1Password 8, as it is a different product.

Since you mentioned this was happening when ever you try so start 1Password 7, could you let us know if the same happens when you attempt to run it from the 1Password 7 application icon in your Windows Start menu? This is to confirm that your version 7 application shortcut is not somehow for a 1Password 8 installer.

Next, I'd like to get this to the team help look into this issue. Could I ask that you both email the 1Password 7 for Windows diagnostics report from your PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your emails please include the following details for each of you:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/135867/1password-7-keeps-trying-to-update for pvanwelt1
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/667233/#Comment_667233 for spaulka

You should each receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with your own Support ID number. Please post those numbers to this thread. Thanks!

ref: AFL-16994-867

• pvanwelt1
    pvanwelt1
    Community Member
    Options

I have the strong feeling the "upgrade" is triggerd by the chrome add-in of 1password.
    Once I open the desktop app nothing happens, but when I unlock the chrome extension, shortly after the desktop app is trying to upgrade.

• pvanwelt1
    pvanwelt1
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm the browser extension is causing this behaviour. When I unlock the browser extension. it downloads the 1PasswordSetup-8.9.10.exe file into the LocalAppdata folder : C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\1Password

• ag_mike_d
    edited January 2023
    Options

Thank you for the update, @pvanwelt1 - we've passed these details along to the team and will be in touch via email when we have more news to share.

@spaulka - We've been discussing with the team and thought this maybe caused by a 1Password 8 installer sitting within the 1Password folder. Could you let us know if you are launching 1Password 7 through the browser extension and is this causing the same behaviour as mentioned by @pvanwelt1, where it's trying to update from a setup file in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\1Password?

ref: AFL-16994-867

• ma2000
    ma2000
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem on my Windows 11 PC... everyday I keep getting prompted to move to 8! This happens even when I havent opened 1P yet, all of a sudden I get the prompts as per pvanwelt1's screen shots above and I have to cancel them.

In this particular install I just want to stick with 7 and local vaults. I have even turned off Auto-update but still the same issue.

Help would be appreciated (I have been through the checks above)

• spauka
    spauka
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_mike_d - I do often launch it from my browser (Firefox) although I have not been able to correlate the prompt with launching it from a browser. I've sent the log files to support.

There does not seem to be an installer in my AppData folder: C:\Users\\AppData\Local\1Password

Note: My username is @spauka (no l) for future reference :D

• Hello @ma2000 and @spauka,

@spauka - I'm so sorry for the error with your username and the delays and missed notifications this would have caused.

As requested above, I'd like to ask you both to write into the Customer Support team at support+forum@1password.com with a diagnostics report so we can continue troubleshooting:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/670096/#Comment_670096 for ma2000
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/670125/#Comment_670125 for spauka

When you receive a reply from our BitBot assistant could you post that with a Support ID number here. Thanks very much!

• spauka
    spauka
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d - I sent in the diagnostic report with support ID: #AHC-58744-628. I did get a reply from a staffer Jason K.

• Thank you for letting me know the support ID number, @spauka. I just sent out a reply with next steps and we'll continue the conversation there. 😀

• ma2000
    ma2000
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d here you go - AUQ-56836-934

• ag_mike_d
    edited January 2023
    Options

Thanks, @ma2000 - we'll be in touch soon via email soon.

ref: AUQ-56836-934

This discussion has been closed.