Keyboard Shortcuts For Safari Extension?

Options

Comments

• smilinggoat0
    smilinggoat0
    Community Member
    Options

Okay you can understand my confusion when I had previously right-clicked on the Safari extension and there are no keyboard shortcuts visible. As a Safari user, there's no way for me to learn about these.

• Absolutely, @smilinggoat0, and I agree it would be preferable to discover these shortcuts within the extension itself than relying entirely on a support article. I've filed an internal request to make these shortcuts more visible for Safari users. Thanks for helping us identify this!

ref: IDEA-I-2017

• gladeatgigwell
    gladeatgigwell
    Community Member
    Options

The conflict with Strikethrough is not isolated to Word; this strike through hotkey applies to nearly all "word processing" sites like Google Docs, Sheets, Notion, etc. It's pretty annoying to accidentally open 1password over and over again, because that hotkey has been around for very, very long time. This seems related to the newer Safari extension that was encouraged through the 1password 8 upgrade.

• mmcapper
    mmcapper
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that was helpful! Thanks everyone.

• tgoldau
    tgoldau
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem and would like to enter a custom shortcut. Any news?

• coordinated
    coordinated
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a feature request to 1Password for Safari extension's activation keyboard shortcut to be user-specified, so that it doesn't clash with other well established features that 1P is breaking access to (as others have helpfully noted above).

Thanks,
    Steve

• Thank you @gladeatgigwell, @mmcapper, @coordinated,

Your feedback has been noted 🙂

• coordinated
    coordinated
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Steph 👍

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tgoldau No news at this time. However, I do see that our developers are discussing the matter. While I can't make any promises, I do hope that there will be a good solution for this in the future.

ref: dev/core/core/-/issues/8796

• @coordinated

You're welcome Steve, let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

• k3liutZu
    k3liutZu
    Community Member
    Options

Please allow users to customize these as they conflict with other shortcuts.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@k3liutZu you can customize the shortcuts in the 1Password desktop app and extensions settings in all browsers except for Safari. In Safari specifically, there is a limitation which prevents us from allowing this shortcut to be customized or removed. We have an internal issue open about this, and our developers are looking into how we can make some improvements in a future update to 1Password, along with our friends at Apple. I apologize for any interruption in your workflow caused by this.

• k3liutZu
    k3liutZu
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the reply @Joy_1P

I guess I'll try using Chrome when I want to use Google Sheets with that specific shortcut for now.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@k3liutZu I appreciate your patience and understanding. I'm sorry that there's not a better workaround, but I do hope that using Google Sheets in Chrome can help for now.

• Jungmann
    Jungmann
    Community Member
    Options

AUGH! Same problem here. PLEASE do what you can to allow customization of the Safari shortcut. Thanks

• michaelmagan
    michaelmagan
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem! Can one just turn off the shortcut?

• jjsurfer7
    jjsurfer7
    Community Member
    Options

Update on Safari extension allowing users to disable the keyboard shortcut to open 1Password?

• jschalfant
    jschalfant
    Community Member
    Options

+1M vote for taking this thorn out of 1P customers who use Safari, Google Docs, and the Strike-Through shortcut key Cmd-Shift-X.

I use Strike-Through about 1000x as often as I manually open 1P. Most often, 1P opens when I need it. Thank you Agile Bits Product/Engineering for getting that part right. But, Cmd-Shift-X as a shortcut for Strike-Through has been around a long time. The notion that when integrated with Safari 1P should take-over Cmd-Shift-X and thereby force the customer to go without a shortcut for Strike-Through is very much getting Product/Engineering wrong.

I'm not raising a feature request. This is a bug. It's an obvious product spec oversight to usurp a well-know and commonly used key sequence which then breaks other functionality. At a minimum, there should be an option to completely disable the shortcut key to open 1P. (Personally, I had never opened 1P manually with a shortcut prior to this issue surfacing. On the rare occasion 1P doesn't open when I need it to, I normally Alt-Tab to the full app to create/update an entry. I prefer the full UI for those types of updates anyways.)

I chose 1Password because it is very intuitive and reliable. But this bug is devastating for my productivity in Google Docs. So I either need to install a different browser (acceptable on some systems, not this one) or uninstall 1P for Safari extension (at which point 1P will never open when I want it to.) Sorry to say it, but taking over Cmd-Shift-X without permission or recourse is a straight up fail.

Please fix this.

Thank you,

-J

• @jjsurfer7

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you, although I do not have an update at this time I have added your voice internally.

@jschalfant

Thank you for taking the time to provide this detail. I agree with your feedback and have passed it on to the team.

I apologise for the inconvenience this is causing you.

ref: dev/core/core#8796

• jschalfant
    jschalfant
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @steph.giles.

Thank you for hearing me and passing along my concern to development, along with your endorsement. I understand software changes can take some time to make it through the queue. On the other hand, because it's fairly described a bug and not a feature request, I do expect it should receive some priority in the queue.

Might you be able to provide monthly updates on this thread regarding the progress of the fix?

Thank you again!

-J

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jschalfant in Safari specifically, there is a limitation which prevents us from allowing the command+shift+x shortcut to be customized or removed. We have an internal issue open about this, and our developers are working with our friends at Apple to see if improvements can be made in a future update to 1Password. We are doing our best, but some of the factors here are beyond our control. We sincerely apologize for any interruption in your workflow caused by this.

In the meantime, do you use the 1Password 8 app? If so, I recommend using the Autofill keyboard shortcut from the app instead of command+shift+x. This shortcut will allow for you to unlock the extension and app. It will also allow for you to fill your logins. On pages where you have one login saved, invoking the shortcut will fill your credentials right away. This is known as Universal Autofill. On pages where you have multiple logins saved, invoking the shortcut will bring out a Quick Access window from which you can select a login to fill.

I know that doesn't resolve the issue with the command+shift+x shortcut, but I do hope that it can be used as a workaround for now. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• shantytowndesign
    shantytowndesign
    Community Member
    Options

Has there been a solution to this yet? Any way to change the shortcut on Safari?

• Hey @shantytowndesign,

I'm afraid we are still working on a solution for the conflicting shortcut in Safari.

I'm sorry for the disruption, I hope the steps Joy has provided above can be somewhat helpful in the meantime.

• DanPDX
    DanPDX
    Community Member
    Options

Longtime 1Password user here. +1 to this issue being a major headache. I regularly use Google Docs and the command-shift-X to strikethru, and am now like @jschalfant having to consider dropping the 1Password extension altogether. I'm hoping you can resolve this soon.

• Hey @DanPDX,

I'm so sorry for the trouble this is causing you. I have added you as an affected user to the internal issue.

Thank you for your feedback.

• jeb1138
    jeb1138
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. The shortcut conflict Google Sheets is annoying for me as well. I'd be happier to just have 1Password keyboard shortcuts turned off in Safari, if it turns out that's easier to implement.

• Hey there,

There is a limitation in Safari whereby we are unable to change the shortcuts.

I have added you all to our internal issue, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

• nimvio
    nimvio
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles , interestingly, the old keyboard shortcut for what used to be “1Password X” still works, so that’s why I figured it could simply be adjusted for 1Password 8. I believe the shortcut key was Cmd + Shift + X.

• Hey @nimvio,

That's right the shortcut to open 1Password is Cmd + Shift + X. You can also use Command-Backslash to autofill.

• jabelone
    jabelone
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hey there, I've stumbled upon this as I have started using Google Docs for work and use the cmd + shift + x shortcut a lot. Very disappointed there's no way to change (or even just disable/remove!) this shortcut. I'd like to add my voice to this and say it's very frustrating.

In the meantime, can your engineering/product team look into possible workarounds? I'll even give you a user story to get started :p "As someone who uses Google Docs, I'd like to be able to use the cmd + shift + x shortcut to strikeout text without causing the 1password extension UI to open."

As a software engineer, I understand that it may be a platform limitation. I'd be interested if there is there any more information about what this technical limitation with Safari is?