need to confirm it's OK to use v8 on Windows & some iOS devices but v7 on other iOS devices & Mac

Options
mzehner
mzehner
Community Member

First, you need a "Cross-Platform" category in your list, not sure where this really should be. Also need a "Cross-Platform" FAQ doc listing any known issues running multiple platforms/versions.

Second: I am the owner of 1P Families account. Mix of Windows, Mac, iOS devices of various ages, some of which do not support updating to latest iOS/macOS. (Windows devices are all running v7 beta.) Have so far avoided updating any devices to v8 because I've never seen a clear cut, official statement anywhere from 1P that is not problematic to upgrade to v8 on devices that support it but keep running/syncing v7 on those devices that can't obtain it. I realize that v7 is no longer officially supported - but I would like some assurance that none of my users or devices are going to lose data or encounter incompatibilities if some devices on the shared account/vaults do get updated to v8. Thanks.

1Password Version: multiple
Extension Version: multiple
OS Version: multiple
Browser:_ multiple
Referrer: forum-search:using version 7 with version 8

Comments

• Hello @mzehner! πŸ‘‹

You can certainly run 1Password 8 on some devices and 1Password 7 on others. The devices that are using 1Password 7 won't have access to new features that are only available in 1Password 8.

As you mentioned, 1Password 7 is no longer supported and I hope that you can move to using 1Password 8 on all of your devices in the future. Although I know that this isn't always possible with older devices.

Let me know if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• mzehner
    mzehner
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P,
    Thanks very much for the quick response and the reassurance on mixing versions across devices. I will proceed with the upgrade where possible and let you know if I have further questions. Have a great holiday season.

• @mzehner

It's my pleasure. Let me know if there is anything else that I can help with. If everything is all set then I hope that you have a happy holiday season as well. 😊

-Dave

• mistergrau
    mistergrau
    Community Member
    Options

@mzehner

Will a shared vault between Family members of different versions continue to work for all family members?

-Joerg

• @mistergrau

Yes, users of both 1Password 8 and 1Password 7 are able to access the same shared vault. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• DamienMcKenna
    DamienMcKenna
    Community Member
    Options

This information should be more readily available, especially for family accounts where some family members might have devices that can't run v8. Would you mind adding a note about it to the upgrade page? Thank you.

• Blake
    Options

I'll definitely share this with the team for consideration @DamienMcKenna! πŸ™Œ

This discussion has been closed.