need to confirm it's OK to use v8 on Windows & some iOS devices but v7 on other iOS devices & Mac

mzehner
mzehner
Community Member

First, you need a "Cross-Platform" category in your list, not sure where this really should be. Also need a "Cross-Platform" FAQ doc listing any known issues running multiple platforms/versions.

Second: I am the owner of 1P Families account. Mix of Windows, Mac, iOS devices of various ages, some of which do not support updating to latest iOS/macOS. (Windows devices are all running v7 beta.) Have so far avoided updating any devices to v8 because I've never seen a clear cut, official statement anywhere from 1P that is not problematic to upgrade to v8 on devices that support it but keep running/syncing v7 on those devices that can't obtain it. I realize that v7 is no longer officially supported - but I would like some assurance that none of my users or devices are going to lose data or encounter incompatibilities if some devices on the shared account/vaults do get updated to v8. Thanks.

1Password Version: multiple
Extension Version: multiple
OS Version: multiple
Browser:_ multiple
Referrer: forum-search:using version 7 with version 8

Comments

• Hello @mzehner! πŸ‘‹

You can certainly run 1Password 8 on some devices and 1Password 7 on others. The devices that are using 1Password 7 won't have access to new features that are only available in 1Password 8.

As you mentioned, 1Password 7 is no longer supported and I hope that you can move to using 1Password 8 on all of your devices in the future. Although I know that this isn't always possible with older devices.

Let me know if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• mzehner
    mzehner
    Community Member

Hi @Dave_1P,
    Thanks very much for the quick response and the reassurance on mixing versions across devices. I will proceed with the upgrade where possible and let you know if I have further questions. Have a great holiday season.

• @mzehner

It's my pleasure. Let me know if there is anything else that I can help with. If everything is all set then I hope that you have a happy holiday season as well. 😊

-Dave

• mistergrau
    mistergrau
    Community Member

@mzehner

Will a shared vault between Family members of different versions continue to work for all family members?

-Joerg

• @mistergrau

Yes, users of both 1Password 8 and 1Password 7 are able to access the same shared vault. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• DamienMcKenna
    DamienMcKenna
    Community Member

This information should be more readily available, especially for family accounts where some family members might have devices that can't run v8. Would you mind adding a note about it to the upgrade page? Thank you.

• I'll definitely share this with the team for consideration @DamienMcKenna! πŸ™Œ

This discussion has been closed.