"Sign in with 1Password"?

Options
codear
codear
Community Member

Hello all!

I am wondering how feasible/realistic would it be for 1password to operate as an embedded authentication mechanism (similar to "sign in with amazon/apple/google/facebook")?

Using 1Password on desktop and Mobile I see that this alternative mechanism would be highly impactful on Android devices, where the detection of sign-in form/keyboards offering to fill form with 1Password is somewhat flaky.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @codear! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! We are indeed working on a next-generation authentication experience: passkeys!

Passkeys will allow you to login to the services that you use without having to use a password. And, unlike a "Sign in with" SSO service, you won't be tied to a single provider in case you ever wish to switch to another password/passkey manager.

You can read more about our plans here: Passkeys: the future of authentication in 1Password

-Dave

• codear
    codear
    Community Member
    Options

This is amazing news! Thank you so much for your hard work!

Do you have a similar plan for mobile devices? do you think mobile biometrics would cover this?

• @codear

While I don't have any details at the moment, we are indeed planning to bring passkeys to mobile devices as well. 😊

-Dave

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Passkeys is nice, but it is just another alternative for username+password in addition to the other ones already in existance and niche useage.. It's the same algorithm that is used for hardware security keys like Yubikey, but these didn't get widespread distribution (no surprise: no one wants to pay 40 Euro for an authentication that works for only 1-10% of all logins and is tedious to manage and use. Except people who have a vital account that is targeted actively, individually and continuously).

Now the software implementation to store the keys instead of a hardware key is called Passkeys. That's good, and that's the way it should be in the first place, because the entry barrier is gone. That's the best start for widespred usage.
    But don't expect Passkeys suddenly available for every website - every website has to exlicitly implement it. Bigger websites may do it, but the vast amount of small sites will probably not. I don't expect passwords with all its flaws going away. Not in our lifetime.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Apple already supports passkeys in Safari and Google very recently added them to Chrome.

I hope this accelerates adoption of passkeys by websites!

This discussion has been closed.