Icon re-usage

solarizde
solarizde
Community Member

Hey,

I'm new to 1Password came here from somewhere else.
One thing which might bring in as a suggestion, the Icon Library. Why Can't I choose freely from the already available in app Icons for a new entry? And why I do have to upload a custom icon for every entry?

Example: I have 30x Routers of one Brand and for better visibility I would like to use the manufacturer Logo as Icon. I have the icon, no problem, but each entry now need to have this Icon uploaded and it is not shared.

Other Password Managers let you choose from your previous uploaded Icons for other Items so you can reuse them and not upload 16-32kb of Data extra again and again for each entry.

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @solarizde and welcome!

I have the icon, no problem, but each entry now need to have this Icon uploaded and it is not shared.

That's correct. There is no pool of icons that you uploaded and where you can choose from. I switched all the icons from my 400+ entries manually. I have all icons in place, so I'm able to use them again if I need to do this for a new entry.

Often I duplicate an entry to get its icon, too. So I don't have to upload the icon again for an entry that uses the same vendor.

You are correct. This is a hard job after importing entries from another password manager. But if you are done, it looks and feels great. 😉

• solarizde
    solarizde
    Community Member

Sure but isn't it a ressource hog to have the same icons duplicated for each entry on and on? It would be so much better if you click a Entry Icon Edit and it will give you a overview of all currently existing Icons in the vault?

This would also massively reduce the sync size of the vault. At the end for me it is like 20 Custom Icons on >1000 Entries. Now those Icons are uploaded >1000 times which - ressource hog or not - is just bad practise :(

Hope they can change that in future you can just reference to a icon and not upload it individual.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

if you click a Entry Icon Edit and it will give you a overview of all currently existing Icons in the vault?

Let me guess ... You come from Enpass? 😉
    In Enpass there is such a pool. But for me sometimes it was hard there, too, to find an uploaded icon again. Because they were hard to find in the pool. So, often I uploaded the same icon twice or more, because I didn't find it there. 🤣

This would also massively reduce the sync size of the vault.

I don't know if that would be the case. As I know, only the modified parts of the vault are synced. And I never had the feeling that sync gets stuck because of my 400+ entries with 400+ "different" icons.

Most of the users don't change the icons. Because there are default icons that come from a library server at 1Password. So, this is more of a specialized feature request. But yes, it would be great to have the possibility to use previously uploaded icons. But it should be possible to sort them or search for icons by name ...

• solarizde
    solarizde
    Community Member

Actually I come from Keepass 2 a offline alternative but also tried others offering similar function.
    I think it really depends on the amount of Icons you have in your user library. But no matter how many, the current option is the worst compromise in my feeling :)

Will deal with it now similar like you but as said there is a easy way to improve the whole thing.

• Hello @solarizde and thanks for your feedback here @DenalB.

We appreciate your message and suggestion. An icon library where you can pull from to add to other related items is a great idea. I'd be happy to pass feedback along to the Product team for consideration.

For the time being, using custom icons is the best course of action.

If you have any other thoughts or suggests about ways to implement this, just let us know!

• 1Passworder1
    1Passworder1
    Community Member

I want to modify OP's request a little bit. 1Password itself has a bunch of nice icons in-app.

1P should allow us to choose from them as well.

Idea -

When user clicks "choose new icon", a new 1P overlay window will pop up with three tabs -

• Tab 1: In-App icons - This tab will show a grid of icons that 1P has in-app. Similar to how it is show when I click "+New Item" button.
    • Tab 2: Previously uploaded icons - This tab will show a grid of icons that the user had previously uploaded in all / any other entries.
    • Tab 3: Upload New Icon - Here the user can upload a new icon, just like how we do now.

For inspiration, see how Google Contacts lets user change contact picture -

Hope you find this suggestion useful and doable.

• Hello @1Passworder1,

Thanks for your additional feedback related to the use of a library of icons within 1Password. I can't make any promises about this being doable, but I've passed your thoughts and details along to the team.

ref: 29922824

This discussion has been closed.