flickering logo on unlock screen

DavidMBrown
DavidMBrown
Community Member

When I unlock 1Password on my iPhone, there's nearly always a second image of the 1Password logo "flickering" in the upper left corner for a second before the app unlocks. This is the best I've been able to capture it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5aaudddl6h974d/flickering 1P logo.mp4?dl=0
(Scrub slowly through the video to see the logo jump up to the corner and bits of it flash on and off.)

Yes, I know version 8 is available. I despise the new look of the UI. You keep making it harder to use. :/

1Password Version: 7.10.0
Extension Version: N.A.
OS Version: iOS 16.1.1
Browser:_ N.A.

Comments

• Hello @DavidMBrown! 👋

I'm sorry that you've run into this issue. I can confirm that the issue no longer occurs in 1Password 8 for iOS: Upgrade to 1Password 8 for iOS

With the launch of 1Password 8 for iOS, 1Password 7 for iOS is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. I strongly encourage you to update to the latest version as soon as you have the chance so that you can take advantage of the latest bug fixes and features. 🙂

-Dave

ref: apple-5508

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member

Hi, Dave.

I feared that'd be the response, although I'm flattered it comes from you. I tried 1P8 and have no interest in "upgrading."

• @DavidMBrown

Full disclosure: I'm not Dave the founder, just another Dave working at 1Password. 😄

You're certainly welcome to continue using 1Password 7 for now. Out of curiosity, would you care to share some of the UI and other issues that you've run into that prevent you from upgrading to 1Password 8? I'd love to pass along your feedback to the design and product teams, they're always interested in learning how we can make 1Password better.

-Dave

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Every release brings bigger icons, more wasted space, less ability to see a list of items from which to choose.

I'm a grown-up. I don't need comic books, because I can read actual words. For several years, I've found in each release fewer and fewer options for keeping 1Password minimal and cartoon-free.

In another example, multiple (apparently random) colors for Login items that don't have a default rich icon: WHY?! Different colors imply meaningful differences, but not in 1Password. One of your co-workers actually suggested (many months ago) that multiple colors were just prettier—NO, they're clutter and reduce usability.

I've been using 1Password for Mac since version 2. I helped design, documented, and single-handedly supported 1Password for Windows (because no one else wanted to touch it) for several years. Over the last approximately 15 years, 1Password for Mac and iOS have become more functional (which is why I still use them and promote them to others) but less easy to use, and the cavalier manner in which the company drops support for previous versions is NOT one of their strong selling points.

It ain't your grandfather's Agile, Agile Solutions, or AgileBits, any more.

• danvpeterson
    edited December 2022

@DavidMBrown hey David, long time no see! Happy to talk about some of the feedback here with you.

Every release brings bigger icons, more wasted space, less ability to see a list of items from which to choose. ...

As I'm sure you remember, it's super hard to find a balance that works for everyone when it comes to design but our goal has always been to try and make 1Password's design and UX easier to use for the most people possible. In a lot of user testing and feedback, a friendlier, somewhat more spacious UI really does make the app feel more approachable. But it's a balance, and we always appreciate feedback on this stuff. I've been talking to some of the design and product teams about more ways to make more of the spacing/sizing customizable in the future but no current timelines on that. You can see a bit of an early start on it in the 1Password 8 desktop app's density setting.

...multiple (apparently random) colors for Login items that don't have a default rich icon: WHY?! ...

Associating items in a list with a color can help a lot of folks more easily visually scan for what they need once they've learned the relationship of the color to the item. That's the intention there, to help people while quickly scanning through a list, although I think we could do more to help with that as well.

Over the last approximately 15 years, 1Password for Mac and iOS have become more functional (which is why I still use them and promote them to others) but less easy to use, and the cavalier manner in which the company drops support for previous versions is NOT one of their strong selling points.

As someone that's been here for all of those 15 years, that's a really tough thing to nail (balancing additional functionality and ease of use). I'm sure you know that already. For a lot of folks and in a lot of areas, I think we've made things a ton easier, but there are definitely some things that we haven't gotten right and can do better. In particular for folks that have been using it for a long time like you and I, with our existing patterns of use, change can really screw things up too. We will keep on pushing here!

We have a fantastic, dedicated user research team now unlike back in the day, and they are helping us a ton with more outreach, research, and user testing which is great as well. That user testing and research helped drive a lot of the decisions made in 1Password 8 on mobile but there's still a lot we want to do there too.

I don't think we ever look at new version/previous version changes or support lightly, we try to put a lot of thought into that. As I think you experienced at least once when you were here, doing a complete rewrite can be super beneficial and needed to move a product forward at a certain point, but it can take some time to get the newer versions fully feature comparable to the older ones and it can be a tough thing to get used to when ways of doing things are changed even if for the best of reasons or with the best intentions. We are looking at all the feedback we get and working hard to keep making 1Password the best we can.

Hopefully you're able to give version 8 another chance at some point and we win you over with it like it has for me! I hope you're doing well and appreciate you sharing all of your thoughts here ❤️

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Thanks for taking time to reply, @danvpeterson! It's good to hear from you, and I hope you are well and happy.

This discussion has been closed.