Greater flexibility for generating new passwords?

Options
siplhium
siplhium
Community Member

I generally prefer to use memorable passwords (or phrases), but the way 1Password generates these, they rarely meet a site's password requirements. You almost always need to add a number, a capital letter, and sometimes a symbol. I know that you can manually edit new passwords, but I would really like a way to preconfigure 1Password to give me a memorable password, but with these types of characters included. I don't understand why 1Password has to be so rigid in the password options it offers. I did notice1Password offer a "smart" password for the first time this morning, which could be ok, except I would like them to resemble a memorable password rather than random characters. Can't we please get some more configurability and flexibility?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting. I didn't know. I never would have considered these to be "separators". I'd really like to have both. But thanks for the tip.

• Hi @siplhium,

Thanks for sharing your feedback, I think you make a good point about how our current implementation of "smart passwords" is exclusively random. We have a couple feature requests to improve this and make it easier to add to generated passwords, so I'll add your voice to those.

I'd recommend @jdiv726's workaround (thanks for providing that!) in the meantime. Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-1469
    ref: IDEA-I-868

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @andrew.l_1P . To be explicit, I'd like to configure passwords that are a) "memorable"; b) can contain what are traditionally regarding as "separators"; i.e., the characters listed in that menu now, except for numbers and symbols ; and 3) can contain capital letter, a number and a symbol.

This meets the most password requirements that I see, keeps the passwords relatively memorable, but is also considerably stronger than memorable passwords without numbers and symbols.

• Appreciate the additional details, @siplhium! Sounds like a smart and memorable password is ideal, I'll add some notes to the feature requests I mentioned.

This discussion has been closed.