Question about the new ability to set domain matches for autofill

I like the new option to choose where autofill should do its thing - either anywhere on a website, or only on the exact domain match.

However, should this work with multiple websites running on the same domain but different ports?

For example, when I'm developing websites locally, running on localhost, I frequently have completely different sites running on different ports, for example localhost:8080 is one site, and localhost:8989 is another site.

Should this new ability to Only fill on this exact domain, also match the port and only show logins matching the domain and port?

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @snozdop !

Should this new ability to Only fill on this exact domain, also match the port and only show logins matching the domain and port?

I'm not able to test this, but did you test it already? I don't think that this will work, but hopefully it will. 😉

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

I haven't had chance to setup a local test environment to check yet, but I'll report back as soon as I have tried it.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks, @snozdop ! 👍

• @snozdop to answer your question "Should this new ability to Only fill on this exact domain, also match the port and only show logins matching the domain and port?".

The short answer is "no, but..."

We're working on an experimental new version of autofill suggestions which is capable of looking at ports. You can enable this via the browser extension's settings. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the browser’s toolbar, then click Settings. Go to “Autofill” and enable “Improved Autofill Suggestions”.

Once you've got it enabled, you should see the following behavior:

• If an item has a port specified within its website field, it will only ever show up as a suggestion when you're visiting that exact URL and port;
    • If an item has no port specified, it will be suggested on any ports as long as the host matches.

Since you said you have completely different sites running on different ports, it should suffice to set those items up so that they include the specific port they're targeting. By doing that, you'll get more accurate suggestions. If you have an item that should work across multiple ports, you can add multiple "website" fields with different ports to the same item.

Please let me know if this works and I'm happy to help if you have further questions :)

Gabriele

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

Thanks, that sounds great. I will give it a try.

• Amazing. Looking forward to hearing what you think, and we're always available to help if you have further questions.

• Hey folks, we've just posted an update about the future of these improvements so you're aware of what to expect in the coming months. Always happy to hear your feedback and answer any questions you might have :)

Gabriele

This discussion has been closed.