1Password 8 keeps stealing focus on Mac

bkonicek87
bkonicek87
Community Member
edited March 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Ever since 1Password 8 came out of beta, every update causes the app to start randomly stealing focus. For example, if I'm working one window and then click into Chrome, 1Password will pop up on top. It's very disruptive and distracting. Quitting the app does not fix it, as I will still see 1Password stealing focus, there is just no window. It seems to usually be fixed by Force Quitting 1Password, but the next time it updates it starts happening again.

I also noticed that even though I changed 1Password to use the Production update channel several updates ago, it still says I'm on BETA (80800094).

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.4
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1 (Silicon)

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@bkonicek87

Another thread about this.

• bkonicek87
    bkonicek87
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Just skimmed through that thread and I don't believe it's related. My issue isn't that update prompts are stealing focus, it's that after 1Password installs an update and restarts, the 1Password UI continues to pop up in front of windows of other applications I'm working in.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Ah, gotcha! Sorry about the noise then, @bkonicek87 .

• Hey @bkonicek87:

Thanks for asking about this!

Changing the release channel won't immediately switch which version you're using. It instead changes the next version you'll be updated to. Since you've chosen the production channel, you'll receive the next production release newer than your current version.

Just to make sure I'm understanding your issue with focus correctly, it isn't that 1Password is taking focus when the update occurs, it's that it's randomly taking focus? Let me know!

Jack

• jareha
    jareha
    Community Member

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but +1 on 1Password randomly (and repeatedly) stealing focus for me on Mac.

• bkonicek87
    bkonicek87
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P ,

I figured that it needed another update to switch channels, but mine has updated twice since I changed channels and it's still on beta.

In regards to focus stealing, yes, once I install a new update it continuously will pop up in front of whatever I'm working on at random times, usually if I click my mouse button. This happens whether or not there are form fields on whatever website I'm currently looking at, and it can be any application window, not necessarily a browser.

• ericwacker
    ericwacker
    Community Member

+1 to the 1P Mac app stealing focus on a regular basis. Force-quitting the app and then relaunching will solve it for a while, but the problem has consistently returned. Super frustrating when it's happening, the app just keeps popping in front of Chrome, or Safari, or whatever else I'm doing. At first I thought it might help to close its window, but then the app focus just shifts and you can't tell until you look up at the menubar (or attempt to type, click a link, etc. and it doesn't work. Plus once you dismiss the main window, you can't get it back unless you quit the app and relaunch it.)

• hubbend
    hubbend
    Community Member

+1 for 1Password 8.7.0 randomly stealing focus. Once it starts, it is super annoying to be typing and then all of a sudden 1Password has grabbed focus (menu bar shows 1Password as the active window).

• Hi folks,

Thanks for letting us know. We've had some other folks report a similar issue, and they were able to resolve the it with these steps:

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click 1Password mini in the menu bar, then Quit. (If you see "Quit 1Password Completely", that's 1Password 7.)
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart your Mac.
    5. Download the installer for 1Password 8 beta from the 1Password website. https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1PasswordBeta.zip
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.

If, after those steps, you're still bumping into the issue, let us know.

Alex

• bkonicek87
    bkonicek87
    Community Member

Thanks Alex, I just updated to 80800126 and so far it seems like this problem is no longer happening, but I'll keep an eye on it for a couple days.

• That's great, @bkonicek87 - and thank you for letting us know! We'll be here to take on board any additional information, whatever may happen.

• PavloTkachenko
    PavloTkachenko
    Community Member

I have such problem every single time after the restart of my Mac.
    I'm using 80800197, and it's very annoying. See the screencast here https://share.cleanshot.com/3vNIVO - I'm working in Chrome and 1Password stealing focus every few seconds.

• tgage
    tgage
    Community Member

I am also seeing this issue. Very annoying.

• Hi @tgage:

Did the steps my colleague Alex shared help improve your state of play? Let me know.

Jack

• tgage
    tgage
    Community Member

Still not loving version 8. How can I set a default vault for new entries? V8 seems like a step backwards and w/ mandatory subscription..

• msbmsb
    msbmsb
    Community Member

Is this problem going to be fixed in a v7 update? Or do we have to go to a beta release (8) to get the critical bug fixed?

• hattable
    hattable
    Community Member

Does not seem to be fixed as of 80904044, on PRODUCTION channel on 20220912

• chrisgreen
    chrisgreen
    Community Member

I think this issue belongs in this thread. I had an almost identical issue a couple of weeks ago and solved it using the method detailed earlier in this thread. Now, the problem seems to be back with 80906011, on BETA channel.

I think the best way to describe this is to start by saying I cannot quit the 1Password app unless I open an application window. After quitting, the app is open again shortly thereafter. No app window is open, I just find that switching into Safari from another app now makes the 1Password menu bar active in place of Safari even though my last action was to quit 1Password.

I hope you can sort out this app. For years, I would tell people they needed to get on board this train. Now, I would not tell anyone to use this app. A new user experiencing this type of performance would be disappointed, and I would expect them to doubt my ability to evaluate a piece of software.

• MacMix
    MacMix
    Community Member

Same issue on a Mac, same intense frustration! Is there an updated solution or should we follow the previous guidance which is to uninstall 1P and re-install again?

• bkonicek87
    bkonicek87
    Community Member

Just chiming in to say I uninstalled the beta and re-installed the prod release of v8 a few months back and haven't had this issue since then.

• cterry
    cterry
    Community Member

I have this problem in 8.9.8 build 80908009 on PRODUCTION channel on Mac. Extremely annoying and very disruptive to workflow.

• Anrky
    Anrky
    Community Member

Same, this just started happening to me.

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member

I've also started having this happening on 8.9.8 build 80908009 (I'm on macOS 12.6.1).

I'm seeing two problems:

1. When you close the 1Password window, it reopens a few seconds later. This pushes it to the front of the Cmd+Tab stack, making it very hard to Cmd+Tab to other apps.
    2. Even if you don't touch the keyboard, 1Password will steal focus intermittently. If you've closed the window and it's "reopened", the app still gets focus in the menu bar even though the window doesn't appear (same as if you Cmd+Tab into it accidentally).

The combination of the two makes it really easy to accidentally activate 1P keyboard shortcuts :/

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member

Hi. Any update concerning this issue? So annoying.

Newest Update of macOS and Extensions and App - Issue still there.

• BOURNE
    BOURNE
    Community Member

If I disable the browser extension (V2.5.1) the problem seems to go away.

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member

Hi. Thx for your feedback. But for me it's v.2.4.1 within Safari (no newer version available). Or did you mean an other browser?

• BOURNE
    BOURNE
    Community Member

I'm using Chrome as my default browser.

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member

Thx for your feedback.

Sad to see that it's not only related to Safari... It's so annoying. And why on earth can't they solve this stupid issue. So sad to see, that more and more bugs are coming up. Same as the stupid different keyboard shortcuts for every browser, main app,... 1PW7 didn't had those issues.

• OzMikado
    OzMikado
    Community Member

Tried the steps above Alex’s post of June 2022 but this is still an ongoing - and intensely irritating - problem.

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member

Yes - and no update from 1Password since a long long time... It's sooo annoying!

This discussion has been closed.