Fingerprint scanner broken; Alternative forms of unlock?

aelius
aelius
Community Member

Hello!

The fingerprint scanner on my phone is broken. This has made my transition to 1Password pretty taxing, as there is no configuration option for extending the lock timeout. I find myself needing to type in my master password every single time.

Fingerprint is a good start, but can we get other options too? Pin entry, maybe?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @aelius,

While it isn't possible to set a PIN code to unlock the 1Password 8 for Android app, it is possible to change the auto lock on option to 8 hours, which should lead to the 1Password 8 for Android app only asking for your account password every 8 hours.

1Password 7 for Android did have a PIN code unlock option available but since most mobile devices now include fingerprint scanners or face-unlock options, we've revamped our security settings to enable you to unlock 1Password with your account password or biometrics. 1Password 8 showcases a modern, beautiful UI and we wanted our unlock options to follow this trend and provide the most up-to-date unlock options.

With that being said, we have a currently open feature request for PIN unlock to be added as an option to the 1Password 8 for Android app. I will go ahead and add your comment to highlight further interest. It is something our developers are looking into, although I can't make any promises as to if or when this option will be added to future versions of 1Password.

I hope this helps.

-- Brendan

ref: IDEA-I-1222

• aelius
    aelius
    Community Member

I do have it configured for 8 hour timeouts, but it definitely relocks before the 8 hours is up and I'm not sure why

• Hi @aelius, thanks for following up with us.

If 1Password is locking before the set period it's usually due to either battery optimization on the device or 1Password being inadvertently closed. Setting battery optimization for 1Password to "unrestricted" in system settings can often help with the former.

We've also identified a bug recently where in some cases, having numerous apps open in Recents can, in effect, "push" 1Password out causing the app to lock. Do you typically keep ten or more apps open in the background?

ref: dev/core/core#18114

• aelius
    aelius
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

I'm not convinced this is the root cause because it happens way too quickly. I did exempt it from Battery Saver as suggested, but the problem remains.

I have more than 10 apps installed in my phone and l use them within an 8 hour period, so that's not a particularly reasonable limitation. The way apps normally solve this is to have a persistent notification that the user then manually hides.

• Hi @aelius, thanks for your reply.

I have more than 10 apps installed in my phone and l use them within an 8 hour period, so that's not a particularly reasonable limitation.

To clarify, the issue I mentioned with 1Password seeming to be "pushed" out is a bug on our end and one we should see resolved in the not-so-distant future. I just wanted to mention that as a potential cause for unexpected locking.

Next time 1Password locks unexpectedly on your device, I'd like to ask you to unlock 1Password for Android then send in a diagnostics report:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. You can post that here and so we can confirm the email has made it to the right place. Thanks again!

• aelius
    aelius
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

Sorry for the delay.

Here's the ID

XTL-13475-377

• ag_audrey
    edited February 2023

Thank you for the ID number, @aelius! It looks like my colleague has gotten back to you via email, so we can continue the conversation there.

If you do not find the response in your email, including your Spam folder, please let us know here.

• aelius
    aelius
    Community Member

To clarify, the issue I mentioned with 1Password seeming to be "pushed" out is a bug on our end and one we should see resolved in the not-so-distant future. I just wanted to mention that as a potential cause for unexpected locking.

What's the status on this? It's quite grating. Every time I help my parents with something, they must be present to scan their finger multiple times, even if I'm only doing something in a span of 5 minutes. Once should be enough...

For my own personal use, I did buy a new phone, but scanning my fingerprint near every single time I need a password is a small friction that adds up over time into a large annoyance.

Thanks!

• Hi @aelius, thanks for your message.

The mentioned issue has been closed. If 1Password is still locking unexpectedly for you and the app has not been closed directly or by the Auto-Lock on Exit setting, it may be caused by battery or data saving settings.

These settings can be quite aggressive on some devices and changing settings such as Battery Optimization to Unrestricted often does not have an impact. In my experience some of the worst culprits can be OnePlus, Lenovo, Xiaomi, and Samsung but it can affect all devices. An option that can help is setting 1Password to "lock" or "keep open" in Recents if available. For example with a contemporary Samsung device you can follow these steps:
    1. Open 1Password.
    2. Open Recents (the button with three vertical lines or a swipe up on the home screen).
    3. Tap the 1Password icon above the 1Password window.
    4. Select "Keep open".

If you'd like to let us know the make and model of you and your parents phones we would be happy to help check for similar options.

This discussion has been closed.