Firefox extension does not connect to Linux app

Options
tobiasvd
tobiasvd
Community Member

Dear support community,

I'm running into a weird issue and can't seem to resolve it.

I've got two machines with preferably the same configuration, but one is freshly installed, so it's not exactly the same (yet).
For one, the connection between the Linux app and the Firefox extension works fine, for the other it doesn't. I use the same firefox versions, the same 1Password versions, and the same Linux/Debian versions.
Do you have any pointers on what the issue might be? Cheers! Below you can find the different output for the two machines:

Good

INFO  2022-11-22T22:49:58.612 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:163] Starting 1Password-BrowserSupport 8.9.10-9.BETA production build no. 80910009.
INFO  2022-11-22T22:49:58.616 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/linux.rs:40] Verifying browser "/usr/lib/firefox-trunk/firefox-trunk"
INFO  2022-11-22T22:49:58.616 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/linux.rs:54] Browser "/usr/lib/firefox-trunk/firefox-trunk" verified successfully
INFO  2022-11-22T22:49:58.616 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support-lib/src/communication_logic.rs:122] Starting SLS communication (attempting connection to desktop app)
INFO  2022-11-22T22:49:58.616 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support-lib/src/communication_logic.rs:187] Connected to the desktop app

Bad

INFO  2022-11-22T23:43:14.208 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:163] Starting 1Password-BrowserSupport 8.9.10-9.BETA production build no. 80910009.
INFO  2022-11-22T23:43:14.212 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/browser_verification/linux.rs:40] Verifying browser "/usr/lib/firefox-trunk/firefox-trunk"
ERROR 2022-11-22T23:43:14.218 main(ThreadId(1)) [1P:native-messaging/op-browser-support/src/main.rs:195] Browser support error: UnknownBrowser(/usr/lib/firefox-trunk/firefox-trunk), happene>
        Additional error context: /usr/lib/firefox-trunk/firefox-trunk isn't a supported browser

P.S. I'm hoping the Snap integration will work one day, I can imagine it would be more convenient.

Comments

• Hi @tobiasvd,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. There are other users reporting a similar issue and I would love to investigate into this issue further.

Could you send an email to support+linux@1Password.com?

With your email please include:

We'll look forward to hearing from you.

• tobiasvd
    tobiasvd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @FrankyO1P,

Thank you for your quick response, I have sent an email as requested and hope we can resolve the issue.

Cheers,

Tobias

• Hey @tobiasvd, thanks for letting us know. It looks like @FrankyO1P has been working with you via email and has sent out a potential solution. We'll look forward to hearing how things go!

ref: QEQ-57117-868

• tobiasvd
    tobiasvd
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hey @AliH1P , we managed to resolve the issue! I had tried setting the custom_allowed_browsers file in /opt/1Password/resources/ , however, that seems to be not used. When I inserted 'firefox-trunk' in /etc/1password/new custom_allowerd_browsers , as per @FrankyO1P 's instructions, it resolved my issue.

Thanks for the quick response, everything works like a breeze again :)

• I'm glad to hear the issue has been resolved @tobiasvd!

Don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have any questions šŸ˜„

Ali

• smoxy
    smoxy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @tobiasvd, could you explain how you have fixed it?

• AliH1P
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hey @smoxy, if you're encountering a similar issue we'll be happy to investigate things further for you. Do you currently have Firefox installed via Snap on your device?

Ali

• tobiasvd
    tobiasvd
    Community Member
    Options

@smoxy Of course!

FYI, I did not install Firefox via Snap. Importantly, I installed Firefox daily from a Ubuntu ppa, which has a binary name of firefox-trunk. Your binary name might be different, so this needs to be changed in the following.

I was sent the following by mail by a support employee:

1. Ensure that browser integration is enabled from Settings ā†’ Browser.
    2. Close 1Password completely.
    3. Open a terminal, and run sudo mkdir /etc/1password (if you've done this already, you can skip it).
    4. Run cd /etc/1password.
    5. Run sudo gedit custom_allowed_browsers.
    6. Paste in the appropriate browser code - in this case firefox-trunk. (ie the binary name)
    7. Save the file.
    8. In the terminal, run sudo chown root:root /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers && sudo chmod 755 /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers
    9. Run 1Password - it will read the new config file and make the appropriate connections.
    10. Launch your browser!

Doing this resolved the issue for me!

Cheers,
    Tobias

• Thanks for providing that information @tobiasvd šŸ˜„

@smoxy let me know how things go! If you continue to run into issues you can email us at support+linux@1Password.com and we can investigate things further.

Ali

This discussion has been closed.