What does Permanently Delete Mean.

Options
geriatricguy
geriatricguy
Community Member

When deleting stuff in 1Password 8 that I haven't used in 10 years and you get a dialogue box pop up asking you, "Do you want to permanently destroy 1000 items? and you answer yes and you scroll down to the very bottom of the column and there sits a message saying "You can recover these items up to 30 days after deleting the." Permanent in my mind is "lasting or intended to last or remain unchanged indefinitely". Not 30 days but now. But I guess you are trying the same stuff as Apple when you delete things and you have 30 day to retrieve it if you accidentally deleted it or your cat did.

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Version 13.1 (22C65)
Browser:_ Brave

Comments

• Hi @geriatricguy,

To clarify, deleting an item places in that "Recently Deleted" section, from which it can be recovered for 30 days. Deleting it from within that section will destroy it permanently from which it cannot be recovered.

Since it sounds like this is already what you're doing, could you give this a try with 48 or less items and let me know if you see better results? We've had some reports of unexpected behaviour when permanently destroying 49 or more items at once.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there. 🙂

ref: dev/core/core#17690

• geriatricguy
    geriatricguy
    Community Member
    Options

I started with 10. Worked good. Increased it by another 10 and it worked good until 50, after that it stops. Very time consuming in increments of 49.

• Thanks for confirming, @geriatricguy. It's also possible to permanently destroy items on 1Password.com in your browser, but I admit it's unlikely to be much faster than the 49 item sized batches in the app:

I apologize for the inconvenience caused and hope this is something we can address in the future.

• geriatricguy
    geriatricguy
    Community Member
    Options

I looked at that earlier and it is even more time consuming. How about increasing the deletion rate to at least 100 in the app.

• Will share that suggestion with the rest of the team, @geriatricguy, thanks for your feedback!

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

This discussion has been closed.