Generate password without opening app

bmoredaniel
bmoredaniel
Community Member

On iPhone, is it possible to generate a password for a website without opening the 1password app? When using keychain, this is possible - a password is generated and filled automatically within the website.

Comments

• Hello @bmoredaniel! 👋

If you're using Safari then I recommend enabling 1Password for Safari which will suggest a password right on the webpage:

You can read more about using 1Password for Safari here: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• bmoredaniel
    bmoredaniel
    Community Member

Thanks for the fast response @Dave_1P! Will the 1password Safari extension work properly if I also have auto fill enabled for the 1password app?

Also, is it possible to get the same password generation functionality in iOS apps?

• bmoredaniel
    bmoredaniel
    Community Member

Hi @Dave_1P, I enabled the safari extension, and hit an issue. It’s proposes a password but does not fill in the proposed password, even when I click on the suggested password:

I’ve noticed a similar issue when changing a password. I create a new entry in the 1password app, then go back to the change password webpage, and the app is unable to fill in the new password.

• dropbear
    dropbear
    Community Member

Workaround for iphone users: I went to the 1P generator site via iOS Safari and added the site to my iOS Home screen. Very convenient.

• Hi @dropbear

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here! From your message in December 2022, it looks like you're running into a known issue that we're investigating right now. If you still happen to be experiencing this issue when attempting to fill a suggested password from that inline menu, could you try re-installing 1Password and see if that helps resolve this?

ref: dev/core/core#17386

This discussion has been closed.