Can't Limit Vault Access for Family Members

Options
SlopeGuy
SlopeGuy
Community Member

My wife & I have had a Families account for a few years. Works great! Each of us have our private vault, and we have a “shared” vault (where most of the data resides). Now I’ve added my daughter and she, of course, has her own private vault, but she also has access to the shared vault that my wife & I use. I don’t want that. All your documents say that I should be able to restrict access, but I don’t see how. When I click on the shared vault, it says, “This vault doesn’t have any permission to edit.” So how do I give it some permissions that I CAN edit?

In addition, it does appears that I can create new vaults where I can select access between “Allow Viewing”, “Allow Editing”, & “Allow Managing.” But I don’t want my daughter to have ANY access (including View Only) to the vault I share with my wife. Any way to do this? I tried suspending her account but that was too big a hammer. Yes she no longer had access to the shared vault, but she didn’t have access to her private vault either.

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 13.0.1
Browser:_ Brave
Referrer: forum-search:how do i restrict access in family vault

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

The vault "Shared" is the default shared vault of the family account and it's hardcoded that you cannot set any access control on it. It's hardcoded that every member has full access. Every other vault you create can be configured, but not this vault.

So what you need to do is create a new vault that is to be shared between you and your wife only, then establish appropriate access control so that only you and your wife have access, then move all items from the "Shared" vault to the new vault. The "Shared" vault is now empty and you can create items in it you'd like to share not only with your wife but also with everyone else in the family account.

(if you ask me, this is a silly design decision to make the "Shared" vault like this)

• Hi @SlopeGuy

As @Tertius3 mentioned (thanks!), your Private and Shared vaults that come with your 1Password Families account have their permissions preset and can't be changed.

• Private: only you have access
    • Shared: all family members can read, write, and edit

It sounds like the advice that @Tertius3 gave you here is the correct route:

1. Create a new shared vault: Create and share vaults – Create a vault.
    2. Set everyone's access how you want it: Create and share vaults – Manage access.
    3. Delete your original Shared vault, if you like: Create and share vaults – Edit a vault – On 1Password.com

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help.

• SlopeGuy
    SlopeGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to both of you for your responses. It will be a bit of a bother to move all items, one at a time, from one vault to another, but it's doable.

Much appreciated.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

In the desktop app, you can select a vault (i. e. the "shared" vault), then choose "all objects", then select all objects with CTRL-A, then right-click the highlighted list and choose to "move 12345 items" to move them all in one operation.

• SlopeGuy
    SlopeGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for enlightening me on how to "copy all items" from one vault to another. Two clarification are noteworthy though.
    1. On my desktop, I don't have an "all objects" selection in the pulldown menu, but I can select "All Categories", which I did.
    2. After step 1, CTRL-A doesn't work until I first select one item in my list. Then CTRL-A selects all items.

Thanks again.

• @SlopeGuy

Glad to hear you got things moved over! Thanks again to @Tertius3 for helping out. :)

This discussion has been closed.