Option to search all for autofill

Options
aelius
aelius
Community Member

I searched the forum and I see that it is intentional that the autofill search has a narrow scope.

Due to a quirk in the process of importing my data, many of my entries have no title. This wouldn't be a problem if I could just search all fields, since the app/service name is within one of the fields.

Could we not have both? Add a button to let me search my database from the popup, so I don't have to grind to a halt and pull up the full app.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @aelius,

We currently have an open feature request for this. While I cannot guarantee if/when this functionality will be added, I've added your interest to the feature request.

I hope this helps

-- Brendan

ref: IDEA-I-439

• aelius
    aelius
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

I just began the process of onboarding my parents onto 1password.

this is an ENORMOUS problem. No other password service I know of ever had a title. No imported database will ever have a title.

1password therefore does not work for the less tech savvy because it will never suggest the passwords in the database for a given app.

In order to make it work, you have to exit the app you're using, Open 1password directly, edit the desired entry to have a searchable title, Go back to the app you're trying to log into, at which time 1password fails to suggest the password based on the title, but at least it now appears in searches.

Search is search. This narrow scope limitation must be removed.

• Hi @aelius, thanks for sharing this feedback.

In my experience, items from other password managers are typically named after the service or the service's website. For example, "Instagram" or "www.instagram.com". Those titles should be preserved during the import process to 1Password and would be searchable through the "Open 1Password" prompt. I'm sorry that this has not been the case with your import process and I can certainly see the benefit of smarter search capabilities. I've gone ahead and shared your thoughts with the team.

Thanks again!

• aelius
    aelius
    Community Member
    Options

Exports from MS Authenticator, chrome and firefox, and the unix pass standard will not contain titles.

• aelius
    aelius
    Community Member
    Options

sorry to doublepost, but after thinking about it:

I'm of the opinion that search should search.

But if you're going to have a scoped filter on that search, the UI needs to indicate this to the user.

Furthermore, if titles are going to be so imperative to the basic function of the app , the importer should not let you finish importing without the title field.

• Thanks for following up with me @aelius.

From export/imports I've done with Firefox and Chrome, items are automatically titled. I haven't tried this with Microsoft Authenticator or Unix Pass though. Regardless, it sounds like this was not the case for you and I'm sorry for the inconvinience it has caused.

I can definitely see your point here regarding the benefit emphasizing item titling during the import process as well as greater parity in the in-app search compared "Open 1Password" search. Myself and my colleague have added to the request for the latter and I will add a request for the former.

Let us know if you have any questions or if we can help with anything else!

• aelius
    aelius
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, I appreciate that this got added in, but I noticed the other day that there is still a scope on the search.

When trying to enter the wifi password into an an app for a smart lock, 1password's android popup did not find any wifi entries.
    So, I popped over to the 1password app and copied the wifi password.
    Then I switched back to the schlage app aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it disconnected from the lock, lost its state, and I had to start from scratch.
    By the time I got to the wifi password screen again, the password had been cleared from the clipboard.

Gah!

Truly, if I am invoking the 1pw search, there will always be a context where I want access to the WHOLE database.

Thanks.

• Hi @aelius thanks for writing in and sharing your continued interest.

Apologies again for the inconvinience here. As noted there is a feature request open for the "Open 1Password" search changes but it is not a feature that has made it through to the development process at this time. Hopefully we'll be seeing that popup in the pipeline in the not-so-distant future.

If there's anything we can help with at this time, just let us know!

This discussion has been closed.