Why is my account password stored in the personal vault?

Options
fabnavigator
fabnavigator
Community Member

I'm moving from LastPass, and am confused. In LastPass there is no way to ever see my account password because they never store it anywhere. In 1Password, I can see it in my personal vault, and even see previous versions of it. What's up with this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hey there @fabnavigator

We also don't know your account password (or your Secret Key, for that matter). The "1Password Account" item you'll find in your Starter Kit is created automatically by the 1Password app itself when you first start using your 1Password account. When you sign in to a device for the first time, the 1Password app will look to see if the Starter Kit items have ever been in your vault, and if not, will create them using the sign-in details you would have just provided to sign in.

This item serves as a useful reminder of your account password – for example, if you usually use fingerprint or face unlock, you might not enter your account password much at all, so this will help you find it if you need it.

To be clear, 1Password (the company) never knows, sees, or stores your account password. This item is the only time you'll ever see your account password written anywhere, and that was created by the 1Password app within your encrypted vault when you signed in for the first time.

I hope that answers your question fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

• fabnavigator
    fabnavigator
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I'm starting to get the picture. So, I can delete the two items in the starter kit if I want to?

• @fabnavigator

You don't have to keep the Starter Kit items if you don't want them – they won't be generated again.

We'll be here to give you any help getting started, so do ask if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.