Creating a new online account, can 1Password generate the password for me?

Options
kengetz
kengetz
Community Member

I feel stupid, 'cause this is exactly what 1Password is for. Yet I can never figure out the correct workflow when I'm in the middle of it.

I go to a new website, and I need to create an account. I enter my email address, and the site asks me for a password. A new password. I'm right in the middle of it on the site, and I don't have a password. I know I can open a new tab and go to the 1Password password generator page, but isn't there something in the 1Password UI that can generate a password for me? I know I can create a new login in 1Password, and then use that to fill in the page I'm working on, but that's not the normal workflow. Am I missing something? Is there some feature that I'm missing to generate a password as part of the standard 1Password UI? Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.9.11
Extension Version: 2.6.1
OS Version: macOS 13.0.1
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hi @kengetz, šŸ‘‹šŸ»

Sounds like you might be looking for suggested passwords from the 1Password browser extension! If you don't already have it installed, you can find links for your browser(s) of choice on our website: Get started with 1Password in your browser

If you've already got it installed, right-click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and select "Settings". Let's make sure you have the following options toggled on:

You should then see password suggestions appear for relevant fields once they're selected:

You can also edit the parameters used to generate these suggestions by opening the password generator in the browser extension:

Give that and try and let me know how it goes. šŸ™‚

• kengetz
    kengetz
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

I definitely have that installed. I'll look for those options and see if I can make it work. Certainly seemed like those options should be there, and they clearly are, but I have missed them! I'll check it out. THanks!

So that works (thanks)! I was just missing the obvious, and I appreciate your patient explanation!

• Thanks for your kind words, glad to hear you got things sorted!

You know where to find us if you have any questions in the future. šŸ˜Š

This discussion has been closed.