Why is 1P backing up something that doesn't exist yet?? Poorly designed UX.

Options
strif4
strif4
Community Member

I don't understand how the current UX passed beta testing in terms of pathway flow. It's a critical design flaw that's been overlooked.

Lastpass and Dashlane saves/updates credentials AFTER the login form is submitted and processed on the actual website.

Whereas in 1password I have to save/update the password before I submit the login form. Why would you backup something that doesn't exist yet?

Am I missing something? I don't want to update my password before it is accepted by a website (fails due to a variety of reasons sometimes).

It's especially annoying when you are updating passwords and it gets overwritten but not processed on the website...now you don't have password to that website anymore.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi @strif4, thanks for your feedback here.

To your question:

Am I missing something? I don't want to update my password before it is accepted by a website (fails due to a variety of reasons sometimes).

Your point is much appreciated. I can understand why you'd want to wait until the process is complete before saving the login.

To examine the other side of the coin for a moment: 1Password's current implementation does help with preventing data loss. There's an argument to be made that it's easier to modify an existing login item when something goes a bit askew during the account sign-in process than it is to somehow try to recover a username and password if the user submits the form and for any reason 1Password isn't able to save the data.

With that said, we're always looking for opportunities for improvement, and you've shared a variety of sensible reasons why we should keep at it with this aspect of the app. We do have an open feature request with our Product team to implement a process more like the ones you're used to, and I'm happy to add a vote on your behalf for that feature (and have now done so).

If there's anything else we can do to improve your experience, do let us know. And we wish you happy holidays! 👋

ref: IDEA-I-645

This discussion has been closed.